Baby Shower Ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I am hosting a shower for DS and DIL and need some ideas. Her colors are blush pink,ivory and cream...very Victorian. I need ideas for a couple of games and ideas for table decor and suggestions for light finger foods.

In fact...do you all like shower games or should I do something else, if so what?

Any help will be appreciated...thanks...Linda

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Linda - Baby shower games can go either way. Personally, I don't like the games where you melt a chocolate in a diaper and try to find out what kind of candy bar it was by smelling it.

One of my favorite games is to buy about 20 small items they will need for the baby: little nail clippers, plug covers, rattle, bib, socks, diaper rash cream, baby brush, cute picture frame, etc. and put them on a tray and cover with a new receiving blanket. Give everyone a paper numbered 1 through however many items on the tray. Set the tray in the middle of the guests on a low table, remove the blanket and give them sixty seconds to survey the tray. Cover and remove the tray and see how many items they can remember. The items then go to the expectant mom as another part of the gift.

Another suggestion (especially if it's the first baby) is to buy a ready to finish book case and you either finish it or leave it for the parents if they are picky and on the invitation ask everyone to bring their favorite childhoold book for the new baby. Remind them to write a note to the child and sign their name, too. As the books come in, fill the bookcase. If you don't want to do a bookcase you can get a cute basket and use that instead.

I have also created a time capsule for the baby and asked people to bring a magazine, a book, a newspaper, even a cash register receipt as well as letters, photos, etc. I did this with my niece who is now 12 and I know she has letters in hers from her Nana, Pop Pop and Great Grandmother who are all deceased now. She is going to open it when she is 18. Or mabye it was 16 - don't remember.

As far as food, what time of day is it? Later in the afternoon you can get by with a veggie tray, cheese tray, fruit tray type thing. If it's more around lunch time I'd do chicken salad and tuna sandwiches and if there is somewhere for people to sit and eat a nice salad goes over well.

If you need any more suggestions, let me know. I'm full of suggestion but I don't want to monopolize the message!!! :0)

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks...great ideas. I love the idea if the books and in fact I did that a few years ago for another DIL...worked really well, so that is certainly happening again. This is their first baby so it is all new to them. The tray of items is also a good one.

The shower is on a Sat at 2pm. It will be small with a lot of elderly gals. DS and DIL live out of state...so this is just family. I was thinking of light food as it has been so hot here.I really wanted to have a tea party,but with the heat...not sure about that. I have a recipe for cream scones and one for fruit salsa with homemade cinnamon chips. Beyond that..???

Any ideas for table decor...she does not like the cutesy stuff...I do...but not her. So...???

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
What about pictures of her and DS as babies? You can make a centerpiece out of them by several containers of different heights and picture frames from the dollar store (which can be white wash painted to go with their soft palate colors) put oasis in the containers and put the pictures in the middle and fill around the base with flowers (mum type flowers are perfect for this - not too expensive and fill well. May want to make a color copy of the baby pictue just in case the water seeps into the frame. I've done this with her photo on one side and his on the other. If you get three of each of them it makes a cute centerpiece and the guests enjoy seeing the pictures.

As for food, you could still do the tea type foods that you mentioned and add a container of homemade lemonade and a container of iced tea instead of hot tea. The scones sound nice and so does the fruit salad. Round it out with possibly some veggies and I think it will be perfect!

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Thanks Kim...lots of great ideas...now to put them in action. Wish me luck!