Back To School

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
While I realize that Back To School is not a holiday....it is a rite of passage.

My kids are long grown but I have a grandson starting first grade this year. Last year I printed a first day of kindergarten sign and his mom took picture of him holding it to commemorate the day. I want to do the same thing this year with a first grade sign.

We also had a first day of school dinner with some fun decorations and napkins. It gave us all a reason to have a nice sit down meal and talk about the day.

I was noticing there are some fun lunch box notes free printables out and about on the web.

What kinds of special touches do you do to start off the new school year??

:clothes:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My boys are at the stage where first day jitters are a bit of the past - so far!
My youngest is in his second year of high school, and my middle son finishing his last. My eldest son 'graduated' in June - and we are beginning a new adventure as he starts his adult life.

I think the only thing we do is the 'shopping' trip for school supplies. In July the mobile store for uniforms came to the school and we ordered new shirts for the school year.

The first day back dinner has typically been an 'easy' meal, a rotisserie chicken and salad etc... freeing up my time to listen to their day events, and sign the boat load of papers they bring home or new class specific supplies needed. We keep this week committment free of all other events.

I love the idea of a photo with sign :) What a wonderful way to mark the day!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My daughter is in the midle school and my son is going into 2nd grade but 2nd and 3rd grades are in a different school so he is a buit nervous about stitching schools. I usually take off the first day off school ... make them a pancake breakfest. I will cut their pancakes into different shapes using cookie cutters and while they are at school that I will bake cookies or cupcakes so they can have a treat after school. Oh and of course there is the pictures before they leave for school.

Jennifer73

Retire Member
Aug 7, 2013
Ontario, Canada
DH is in SK this year and DS is in JK. He's already told me he's a bit scared about starting school. We're going to do the same thing with him that we did with DH last year. We'll drive him to school and take lots of pictures before he goes. He gets to choose his breakfast and he's already picked out his backpack and lunch box and today we bought indoor shoes. He'll come back on the bus with his sister. I'll be counting down the time I'm sure. DH has taken the day off so he can take DD to the bus stop in the morning. Then in the afternoon we'll have treats for snacks. I usually give them fruit but I think the first day of real school warrants some sugar.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DD20 is off to college next week. Even though classes don't start until after Labor Day, she want to get settled in and get all her boxes unpacked and "nest" so she's not trying to do it after school starts.

DD16 starts her junior year in high school. She will have to wait until the first day of school to know what supplies she needs.

I go back to work on Thursday of next week. That will mean easy meals Thursday, Friday, and Monday.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We homeschool but we usually take a few weeks off as we transition to the next grade. It gives us the opportunity to buy school supplies and for me to work on lesson plans. I figure even a homeschool kid needs fun school supplies and new art materials.

The first day of school is not super special. This year was kinda special as we brought out the "tough books".

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Every year - including college - I took a picture of DS in the same place in our front yard. It's an idea I got from a magazine and it's a great thing to look back on.

Also, I love buying school supplies so even tough he is 31 and not in school I still buy him ( and now DGF) some school supplies each year. If they thing I'm crazy - so what!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
The boys picked out new backpacks and thermos'. Our school puts the "supplies" list online, so I took care of that as soon as I started to see them in the stores in early July. The shelves are almost bare now!

We take pictures outside the front door and at the bus stop on the first day. DS8 will be in 3rd grade this year and DS4 is in Pre-K.

Dinner is usually baked ziti that night (by request)...I'll have to ask what they want this year.

CEO added a Back to School Countdown on her site:
http://organizedhome.com/back-to-school/countdown

You can also get daily reminders on FaceBook