Backyard Bash 2010 Gypsy Caravan

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
It's time for me to really start working on the summer party...given that I will be traveling a lot this summer and am working on a shoestring of time and money to get ready for our annual summer bash...This year the theme is Gypsy Caravan.....so I'd love any suggestions for decor or menu...Thanks!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Lots of scarves! maybe a garland made up of colorful scarves

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Yes scarves for sure in lots of colors...or maybe just buy cheap materail and cut it into scarf sized pieces.

Also lanterns

I'd like a crystal ball...I'll look for one at the flea market or a cheap gazing ball (there out in garden stores and departments right now...I wouldn't need the stand....I could sit it is like a hoop or something....sometimes you can buy the ball apart from the stand....I'm working on a budget here....LOL

I would like to find a way to put up some poles and drape sheets or blankets over them and unless it is SUPER hot (which is quite possible in July) we will build a fire.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Lots and lots of costume jewelry for guests to put on!

Little Elf

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Traditionally the eating habits of the Gypsy people have been conditioned by their nomadic way of life. Their diet consisting of what is readily available. This includes fruits, berries, leafy plants, mollusks, and small mammals. Sometimes meat is served generally broiled or cooked on a spit. Garlic is a very commonly used seasoning. Water is the most often served beverage during the course of a meal.
Oh and if any guest have an instrument they can play, perhaps they can bring it along. :)

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Oh costume jewlery.....GREAT idea...I can pick some up CHEAP at the flea market....between now and the party.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'm going to see if I can get some poles and spread blankets over them so we have tent like structures. We have a blue gazebo like tent thing....we can put that up too and wrap scarves and colorful tulle all around it.....

Little Elf.....not sure about those menu ideas....lol....the instrument idea is good,....my daughter has a guitar and one of the neighbors has a harmonica.....so thats great!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lots of cushions for sitting on. Gypsies are a fascinating people aren't they. I can imagine every body dressed up in their headscarves and flowing skirts and white blouses. I love the idea of the tent and lanterns. It sounds like a wonderful night.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My daughter found some solid colored paper-like lanterns at the Dollar tree...red, blue, and pink...they are battery operated so they should be great additions to the decor...she only got three so I am going to have her look again and see if they have some more...or I'll pop into another Dollar Tree and see....hmmmm.....Im thinking like 6-9 would be nice.

I am putting some poles up and a clothes line and hanging brightly colored sheets from the clothes line so it will make a nice back drop to the party area....I'll be looking at flea market and resale shops for bright solid colored sheets. I'll also pick up some bright solid colored material at Walmart...either in clearance or the cheap rolls that are like 2 dollars a yard.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
GB sound like it is all coming together nicely. It is nice o have a goal to focus on. We usually have a bbq in January for all my friends and a gypsy theme would be great.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Another update: our Walmart is getting rid of their fabric department...:(

But that means material (whats left anyway) is 75% off...I snagged two yards each of five brightly colored gauzy like material...perfect for hanging from the tent poles or from the awning....

When I'm back there again...I might get a couple more...there was a very pretty emerald green satin and a deep purple that looked very gypsy like....

I'm excited about the bright colors!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sad to hear about the fabric department closing but go on you for finding such great bargains. It was just what you were looking for.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Ginger - I know of only one walmart in our area that still has fabric. It was really sad to see it go especially since they put a lot of small fabric stores out of business.

On a happy note, the gauzy fabric sounds spectacular! It will be perfect, I bet. Hope we get to see some pictures of this fun shindig!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Well everything was set up beautifully....we had set up two gazebos with colorful material, and a bunch of lighted paper lanterns I had picked up at the dollar store and on one of the gazebo tents I had put up colored Christmas lights...we had a fortune telling table.....

AND THEN....just about 20 minutes after the guest arrived....

A HUGE storm started rolling in...so we had to move everything inside....it turned out fine but just gets me that we spent time and effort decorating the outside area....SIGH,...

such is the life of a gypsy....LOL

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Oh Ginger, I'm sorry your outdoor portion of the party was rained out. You worked so hard on it! I'm glad that you all still had fun indoors. Ultimately, that's all that matters.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Too bad when you put all that effort in decorating! but I'm glad you guys had fun ;)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Gingrbug - the decorating ideas were glorious!!!! I bet your guests were so happy to be at a party! Look at our entertaining threads --- parties have been sadly few and far between this year!!!!!! And.. we love parties!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Ginger- I am sorry to hear that the storm chased you all inside after all of your hard work...but at least the guests all got to SEE it first! I am sure they all appreciated your effort even more! Glad to hear you had fun anyway!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ginger-

It all sounds magical and wonderful.
It sounds like you have a great party- even though it had to be moved indoors.

Annie