Best Finds/Bargains - Christmas 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Miss Jane started a thread like this for 2017 where we shared bargains for Christmas. I enjoyed reading through the it last year. I thought we could do it again for 2018.

For those near Dollar Tree, if you need greeting cards, tissue paper or large gift bags, the price is right!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am certainly going to grab things when I see them this year. The last few years I have waited until after Christmas hoping to grab a bargain only to notice that everything has been picked over. My advice is to pick things up when you see them, rather than missing out.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
The last few years I have waited until after Christmas hoping to grab a bargain only to notice that everything has been picked over. .

I'm on the same bandwagon. I'm hitting the sales earlier too, even if the sales aren't "quite" as good as they are later. Except for tech items and gift cards, I'm buying now (the week before Black Friday). One deal I've seen is that Levis are half off in many stores right now.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I agree Katrina, get it now. Nothing worthwhile left after Christmas.
My problem is I almost never go to the store now, I drive in /out of work with dh. I'd love to get a few things for ME so I could open something Christmassy each Rudy day.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Target already has some pre-Black Friday deals on sale now and I believe Walmart does as well. I just purchased a PS4 controller on sale for $39.99 this morning for in-store pickup, but i'm sure they will ship as well (just not easy for us here on the island). They are also doing a deal of the day (in-store) on the app for 30% off of all Beyblade toys which is the majority of items on Eli's list this year. So i'll be shopping when I stop in to pick up the controller after my appointment today.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess, looks like some great deals. Spending a little time looking through the catalogues means we can focus on the good deals. I am looking at a few specials when I go shopping on Thursday.

Also I am trying to buy things that are multi functional if that makes sense. I picked up some plain white gift tags(almost like a luggage tag) They can be used for any occasion. Paper napkins or gift bags in gold or silver that are not overly Christmassy but can be used for Birthdays as well. That sort of thing.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I saw an ad for the Philips Sonicare Essence Toothbrush. It will be on sale for $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond. If you use their 20% off coupon on Black Friday, it brings it down to $16.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Target is giving early access to Red Card holders today (November 21st) on certain Black Friday deals.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Going to try and stock up today on medium sized gift bags. There are still plenty of options around and I would like to find some more that are suitable for the males in the family. Black and gold would be nice.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
At Goodwill I found three boxes and a Christmas basket. They all needed to be cleaned but I love them. The LCs will each get one of the candy boxes with their bonus in them and the basket I might give to DS filled with fake snowballs. And that's a big might because it cleaned up really nice. I'm going to spray the basket with a sealer because when it gets wet it bleeds like crazy. It probably will stay with me, yep, think so.

IMG_1704.jpg IMG_1705.jpg

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Dierdra, the basket is gorgeous. Well spotted

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am making a bit of a list for things to pick up in the next few weeks or in the after Christmas sales. I think that I have enough medium sized gift bags now.
Will definitely need to stock up on tape but will wait as I often get this in my Christmas stocking. If not will grab some in the back to school sales in January.
Also in the BTS sales will look for pens, notebooks, Blu tac (not sure what you call it). All these things make great stocking fillers I want to look at sticky contact book covering in black and red for future Christmas projects. I would like to find book wrapping in a cupcake design for a recipe book that I want to do for DD for next year.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I want to look for big red bows to put on outdoor wreaths in the after Christmas sales. I just replaced the other ones that faded to pink last year. :p

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Diedra- I would hold on to that basket as well! Love it! Those candy boxes are neat, never seen anything like that before! Are they glass? Very nice!

Target has been having all sorts of deals since Black Friday. I downloaded the app and get notifications when they are having sales. Right now they are having 10% off of Target giftcards, 20% off Legos, and a few other sales going on at the moment.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Diedra- I would hold on to that basket as well! Love it! Those candy boxes are neat, never seen anything like that before! Are they glass? Very nice!.
The candy boxes are plastic but look and feel like glass.

Reactions: MrsSoup

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will be looking for 2 small wreaths to put on the french doors into our sunroom. I saw this idea on a blog and thought it looked lovely. I also need to look at LED lights as a set of coloured bulbs on my tree have stopped working. I will try and get those this week so that I can make a note in my planner to say that I have them for next year.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Text FROSTY to 73277 to get a $10 off a $10 purchase coupon for Sears. Not good at a store that is closing though.

:cool:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Found 2 lighted wreaths yesterday for the sunroom doors. they were 50% off so $10 each. I had some picks and red ribbon at home and they are done and hanging.
I will need tape for next year and also will need AA batteries for all the battery operated lights. I am making a list.
Looking at the shops here I do not think there will be much left by Christmas. Some is already 50% off and my local supermarket had not much left yesterday

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Looking at the shops here I do not think there will be much left by Christmas. Some is already 50% off and my local supermarket had not much left yesterday

I noticed the same thing about the stores around here. Last night I ran out to get some more lights because the strands we do have are acting funny. Sometimes they light and sometimes they don't light. All the white tree lights were gone at Kmart. In fact, their whole Christmas area was looking sparse in comparison to other years. I headed over to Walmart this morning for the lights. They still had plenty of white lights to choose from but the ornaments and decorations are really getting limited. I don't know if they changed the area where they keep additional items or if they just shipped in less this year.

I also noticed that prices have jumped quite a bit in the last few years. I put a bow on a wreath this year that I picked up two years ago for $1. That same bow in the same packaging is now marked $2.

Michaels Craft Store is having 60% off their ribbon and boxed ornaments today. Selections are getting limited in those areas. Today and tomorrow, they are also offering an additional 25% off total purchases including many of the sale items with a coupon.