Best Finds/Bargains - Christmas 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Holiday_Mom. I noticed the same thing about pricing. After Christmas this year I got 4 lengths of garland that was originally $2 a piece for 50cents a piece.
I saw the exact same garland in the exact same shop for $3.99 a piece. That to me is a big jump in a year.

Reactions: Minta

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is a trend that I've noticed over the past couple of years - stores are not overstocking Christmas items like they used to. Means less overhead and less items left to discount at a loss after the holiday. :(

To that I say Bah Humbug!

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
This is a trend that I've noticed over the past couple of years - stores are not overstocking Christmas items like they used to. Means less overhead and less items left to discount at a loss after the holiday. :(

I have noticed that this year too. Things I normally get from our local chain store isn't there this year and the selections of Christmas gifts items is a lot smaller too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

I totally agree. In the past I would write lists of all the things I needed to replenish the supplies and then I would hit the stores and grab a bargain.
The last 2 years or so I have noticed very little in the shops before Christmas and really the only things left after Christmas are food items with a use by date.
To me it takes away the joy of finding a bargain.
I am now buying things when I see them, even if at full price because of fear of missing out if I don't.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not alot left at the dollar store here either! I saw some crafts I wanted to make on Pinterest, thought I'd gather the supplies and make them next year, uh-oh already missing stuff! will try another dollar store.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, much the same here. Frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: luludou

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I noticed TJ Maxx had no seasonal decor when I was there Saturday. I've wanted to declutter my decorations since I use less than 50%. However, think I'll hang on to most of it since there really isn't a selection of nice items after Christmas.

Planning to grab some nice gift wrap when I'm shopping tomorrow. I'm a little low & it can be hard to find too.

I was able to find white boxes & tissue paper at CVS & little decorative boxes at Dollar General right before New Years last year for 60-70% off. I may look again for tissue paper, but have enough boxes.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have seen in our grocery store catalogue this week hot chocolate mix is on sale. I am going to check out the use by date and see if it will be OK for the Easter baskets. I know that Easter is in April next year so a bit later than this year, but if it is OK I will buy it and store it as today it is 50% off.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Faye sugarplum fantasies sound like a great scent.

The after Christmas sales here were a bit of a bust. I have managed to find a few things to put away for next Christmas but was very disappointed with the offerings. As mentioned earlier I think the days of grabbing great bargains after Christmas have sailed and the best advice is to pick things up when you see them. Anything after Christmas is a bonus.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to KMart today and all of their Christmas was 50c a piece. Mum and I got 3 boxes of bon bons, various candles, dog biscuits in a fancy jar, a light up M for DS, 2 small and 1 large felt woven baskets,a sports trivia game and 2 gold and white 4 place dinner sets with a matching platter. All of these items were 50c each except for 1 dinner set which was 25c as it was missing a bowl!!! You can't beat that!

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
One of our grocery stores was having their Christmas candy/chocs on sale for a great price. I grebbed Quality street box of chocs , two small snowmen filled with smarties, and a big box of Pot of gold...these are all put away for valentines now. Paid for them with store points to!!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
This is a great time to score rock bottom deals!

Meijer took all Christmas to 70% off and I picked up a couple more rolls of cellophane for gift baskets at $0.89 each, one roll of wrapping paper that I can use for birthdays for less than $2, some fancy ribbon curl bows for cheap, etc.

I don't usually buy gift bags but I did get a few - the largest and prettiest rang up for $0.89!!! I was shocked!

Got one large basket for just under for $4 - not the greatest price compared to a garage sale - so only got the one.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One of our grocery stores was having their Christmas candy/chocs on sale for a great price. I grebbed Quality street box of chocs , two small snowmen filled with smarties, and a big box of Pot of gold...these are all put away for valentines now. Paid for them with store points to!!

I saw many boxes of chocolates marked to clear. Did not eben think about grabbing them for Valentine’s Day or Easter. Will write that in my planner for next year.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Meijer went to 90% off on all Christmas - not much left but I did get several of the special bows for $0.39 each, more cellophane for $0.89 a roll and some sugar paste decorations for next years gingerbread adventure for $0.19 each - we don't eat what we decorate anyway so it won't matter that they sit a year.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Next year I'll be on the look out for any chocolate candy, cookies and/or mints that are being marked down. My teens were away last the weekend and one of the things they were asked to bring was snack foods. My own teens requested that we bring candy. One a whim, I checked out Walmart's clearance section and found the last big container of Bob's Wintergreen mints marked down from $7.88 to $1. 29. :eek: That's a huge price difference!