Boxing Day "At Home" for DD's birthday

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Hi all,

Can I please ask all you experienced party hosts for some guidance and calming words?

I am starting to get organised, (now that we've decided to stay in our own house for Christmas), for having an "at home" on 26th December for our neighbours. It is DD's 6th birthday, but while we will have a cake, this is not her "Party" (there will be a party for her schoolfriends once they go back to school in January). It is as much about having a get together with the neighbours and relaxing together which happens to fall on her birthday. Sort of "come by anytime that suits from 3ish til 6ish" (which will probably mean the last not going home until the wee hours as some of us are sociable enough :) ).

I was thinking about 2 different dishes from turkey (a curry and a turkey/mushrooms/turkey and wine sauce), both of which can be served with rice. But people may not want turkey (and we may cook goose anyway), so I am also toying with the idea of making a large batch of a lamb curry in the next few weeks and freezing most of that as one main (different, and less work on the day).

Some nibbly bits beforehand - vol au vents or little quiches (from the store), small bruschettas (homemade), crisps and dips, carrot sticks and cherry tomatoes.

Birthday cake to follow, with mince pies, cookies, sweets (all homemade) and a box of biscuits. A cheeseboard to put out for people to go at themselves. Jelly and icecream for the children (possibly up to 9 ranging in age from 2 to 12).

Wine, beer, soft drinks, mulled wine?, tea/coffee.

I need to think about whether to keep it to the neighbours (probably wouldn't ALL come in, and would be coming and going all evening as various family events have to be factored in too, but could be up to 16 adults and 9 kids), or invite the relatives we have living in the area also (most probably wouldn't come, but if they did, that could be up to another 13 adults and 5 kids). Considering the time of year and weather could keep us all indoors. Hmmm....

Also, do I let the kids entertain themselves with their presents, or organise games for them (to suit all - boys and girls). And what do 12 year old boys like to do anyway?!

I am getting more used to having people over, but mostly its been small groups or middle of summer (when I can send the kids outdoors to run around). I have 2 rooms for guests - the living room with suite to sit 5 (and usually a few on arms of chairs too) and the open fire and tree; and the kitchen/diner/playroom where the main table sits 6 (I can fit 8-10) and there are 2 more easy chairs, and a unit with cushions that 2-3 more can sit on, and a small table that can seat 4-5 kids on stools. There's a bit of circulation room there too, and if it's dry, I can open the door into the back garden.

Bearing in mind that it's the day after Christmas (and shops are mostly closed here for both days), what should I need to organise now and have prepped/organised in advance, and does anyone have a list of tips to bear in mind as I get ready (and a checklist to run through about lunchtime on the day)?

Slightly panicked at the thought, although I know I CAN do it (but I may need my head examined before its all over).
Wings

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Here's a nice check list;
http://www.busybeelifestyle.com/pre-party-checklist/

I also make a timeline for cooking and keep alist of food items that need to be put out so I do not forget something. Remember to let people help if they ask. I like the idea of freezing the lamb curry ahead of time. Keeping it simple will be best. Sounds like you already have it under control.

I'm not sure any of us would really like to know what 12 yr old boys would like to do. lol

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Wings - I'm not sure what 12 yo boys would specifically like to do (besides video games), but I think your best bet would be to arrange some sort of game or craft "partnering" children of different ages. My thought is that 1. it would be fun and 2. being partnered with a younger child might make them more willing to help/be involved. Maybe a competitive sort of thing? How old is the youngest child? Could they play Christmas charades or pictionary? Holiday karaoke? Have an impromptu "talent contest" and see what they come up with...you could offer a small prize or make a really outrageous trophy (out of recycling, etc and paint it gold) You'd be surprised what "bragging rights" can induce kids to do!

Or make it a competition of a series of games, but make the ultimate winner dependent on winning a game that is completely based on LUCK (don't reveal this until the end). My Aunt did this to us a few years ago...arranged a Game Day at her house which included playing video games, strategy board games, trivia, etc. You got points based on how you did in each round...then the finalists had to play Candyland to see who won. it was the perfect end. My cousin still has the trophy (lopsided and all) and he is very proud of it!

HTH!

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Wings - Keep in mind that your guests most likely just had a day full of food so I think simple, healthy foods might be appreciated by most. Also, consider the time frame. If you were to move your open house to 2 - 5pm then you would not have to serve a proper dinner and nibbles would be just fine.

As for activities, that depends on how much room you want to dedicate to this. Most of the children will have just celebrated their Christmas and might be over run with new toys. I like Colleen's idea of pairing them up for a craft activity. You could also set out various board games in different corners of the room. Decks of cards is also something small that can be set out.

Let us know how the plans are coming along!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Thanks all, (I was away for the weekend so only checking back in this morning).

I like the idea of partnering the kids for craft-y stuff. I could turn the sunroom space into a craft area for them and leave out things for them to do (like get some mask templates to colour, cover in glitter, glue on coloured paper), and put out the board games too.

I won't be serving a "full dinner" - more of a buffet style thing that people can have a meal if they want or just nibbles if that suits. I just know that some people will be doing lots of visiting so won't want a meal, but others may not so food would be good for those. More carrot sticks and fresh fruit than vol au vents and pastry things - I hear ya! I reckon that, even if I move it back though, I will have lots who will stay into the evening so food (and soakage) would be important - most visitors will be living on the road and will only head home for kids bedtimes (so a later start is better).

Time line is a good idea - I was only thinking of that for beforehand and always mess up when people are there!

Plans are slowly coming together for the whole season, and this is still barely featuring on DH's horizon but at least I have a plan!! :)

Thanks for the ideas!
Wings