Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Oh wow!!! Eggs here are $2.78.

Reactions: halimer

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
  • Wow
Reactions: jampss and halimer

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Mmmm won’t be having eggs this week
Ours have nearly doubled in price, as well, but they're not that high!!!! At the Aldi by me, they jumped from $1.39/dozen to $2.33. A quick search found that there's been another round of avian flu that is impacting the chicken industry. That, along with higher labor and transportation costs AND increased demand for the Easter season, are the reasons for the price spike.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I haven't been home to check the egg prices over the last month, but that increase last year was rough for my home baking business, that's for sure! I hope they don't double in price around here again. Plus I eat eggs daily, so there's that.

Reactions: jampss and halimer

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Eggs here are 2.99 dozen. They’ve been creeping up every week.
I am finishing up my freezer/ pantry challenge. It’s gone a little longer than I had originally planned. I’ve made great progress using up things. We even managed to do a 10 day detox and still stay with in the budget I set. I still have 3 things I want to use up: Some large shells, I want to make buffalo chicken stuffed shells but I’m out of chicken and cream cheese. And 2 pie fillings in the freezer (apple and peach), they were wedged in the back of the freezer. I will slowly start to restock as I find good sales. I definitely want to stay mindful of not buying odd things on impulse. I’ve re- evaluated my par levels for the pantry and freezer. My goal is to stay well stocked but not so much that I end up having items past their prime.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
"Buying odd things on impulse," struck a cord with me. I often seem to have a lot of food, but not things that go together, that I'm in the mood to cook, nor to eat. I'm working on this. I don't want to come to a point of going to the store every day when I get off, but need to work on having a more cohesive plan for meals.

This time of year is particularly difficult with DGS having ballgames several nights a week. We eat out often or at the ballgame.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
This time of year is particularly difficult with DGS having ballgames several nights a week. We eat out often or at the ballgame.
Oh how I remember those nights. DS(32) played baseball for 12 years. With being the only parent home for getting the 4 kids fed and to the ballgame was a challenge. Anyway you can have a picnic type meal ready to throw in to a basket with some bottle drinks? sub sandwiches, cold fried chicken with potato salad, Caesar salad in a bag with leftover chicken to add to it? You can add seasonal fruit too. Cheese, crackers, grapes, watermelon, etc.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Anyway you can have a picnic type meal ready to throw in to a basket with some bottle drinks? sub sandwiches, cold fried chicken with potato salad, Caesar salad in a bag with leftover chicken to add to it? You can add seasonal fruit too. Cheese, crackers, grapes, watermelon, etc.
This sounds so lovely for a game or just a mid week menu at home.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
JoDee- My brother is a champion at bringing picnic type stuff even when we stay at hotels.
When we went to the World Series game- the next day before we departed we had a picnic in our hotel room.
He had brought chicken salad and tasked me with bringing some chips. He also had fruit and drinks.
He always brings a big ice chest with him.

Last year, before going to a concert, he had brought an electric skillet with him and made quesadillas in his hotel room!
He has really turned me to think that way!

A lot of times even for times sake, it works!

Annie

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My locally-owned grocery store had some good sales this week. They had chicken leg quarters for $0.69/lb. and their store brand frozen vegetables 5/$5. Ground beef was $3.99 lb., but only in family packs, and I've got limited freezer space right now, so had to pass and go with a smaller package for what I need for this week. They also had good prices on oranges, clemetines, and tomatoes. Deli included good prices on ham and turkey, and I got a 1/2 lb. of each for use in a couple of recipes and for lunch. While this put me a little over my monthly budget (due to St. Patrick's Day purchases), what I got will keep me fully stocked until mid-April -- fingers crossed.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lori, that is some smart shopping there!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Man oh man, the prices went up at Aldi's today on most everything. Ug