Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Prices for take out and dining are ridiculous!

I ordered a chicken sandwich at Wendy's and asked for lettuce and they said no lettuce. I was surprised. I guess there's a lettuce shortage.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I almost passed out when the clerk said the amount.
Those burritos were over $5.00 a piece.
For Taco Bell??!! I think the most I've paid before was $1.79.
Drive thru @ Popeye's -- 3-strip basket (comes with 1 side, a biscuit, and fountain drink) + one additional side + lemonade, instead of Coke (not sure if there was an up-charge) = $17.00+. I'm done eating out until after the New Year.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I read about the lettuce issues but can’t remember what the deal was with it. I know some of the restaurants here have limited salad selection. But I can still buy the bag salad kit mixes (greens, dressing, and other toppings) 3 for 9.99 in the grocery store. I can add a grilled chicken breast to one and have a nice dinner for the 2 of us.
We pretty much limit our fast food to those that send coupons in the weekly mailer and that we have a gift card for. I get points at the grocery store if I buy my gift cards there so it helps a little more to offset the prices.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yesterday we went to a chicken restaurant... they are now $14.95 for a chicken leg, fries, gravy and small salad. 16,95 for the chicken breast plate. they have a special for christmas at 10,95 ,each if you buy 2 or more. we went with sil and bil, they had 2 hot-chicken sandwich plates and with taxes (no tips as we order at the counter)... it cost them $43!!! I ordered the 10,95 special but it's only when you pick it up / take-out. Told her I want it take-out but ate there with our boxes.... saved $9 + taxes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I read about the lettuce issues but can’t remember what the deal was with it. I know some of the restaurants here have limited salad selection.
We had a massive lettuce shortage this year. They blamed the flooding in the lettuce growing regions. They wanted $12.00 for an iceberg lettuce. Fast food restaurants were not offering lettuce, I think KFC substituted spinach.
You can pick up a lettuce this week for $1.70

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lori- Wow. $17.00 for Popeye's? And, it's not like it's the "family meal."
That was just a meal for 1.
I'm with you. Done with it.
For a sit-down restaurant, I don't mind but fast food?
Lucie- Wow- $43!!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Eating out has gotten ridiculously high!
If you do eat out, check your receipts. Many of them have "freebie" offers if you do a survey. Popeye's has "get a 2 piece dinner with the purchase of a large drink". McDonald's has a free large drink, I think. Wendy's has something similar. Order in the Sonic app and drinks are half off all the time. It's not a lot, but if you do have to eat out, look for the ways to save.

BTW, Wendy's had their $2 keychain thing, get free small frosties for a year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We used to eat take away all the time. It was cheap and convenient. We had to get out of the habit as we were eating it 2-3 times a month.We don't do it often now, I think we have had pizza twice this year and Maccas once. With the hard work I have been doing to keep our budget in check I find that my fortnightly shop in Aldi is only about $60 so we were just not getting value for money with the take away.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Back home from Mum's. Did everything that we needed to do today and did some things that were on next weeks list so we are ahead.
Went and picked up library books, took donations to the charity shop, went to the supermarket for milk and salad and came home. There was a mess in the kitchen, plants that I was propagating on the window sill were in the sink and there was stuff everywhere. A very old glass bottle was smashed in the sink. I realised that a bird must have flown in through the door that I keep open for the dogs and was trying to escape through the kitchen window. No sign of it now thank goodness.
Cleaned all that up and will now get onto my afternoon chores.

Hoping you are all having a relaxing evening.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Treated myself to a sit down lunch in Amish country while I was thrift shopping. 3 pieces of chicken (from a small chicken)mashed potatoes and dressing with gravy, 2 dinner rolls and coffee. Was 19.94 before tip. Chicken pieces were definitely larger and if I remember right the dinner was 12.99 during the summer. Prices didn’t seem to bother anyone. The place was jam packed.

Reactions: jampss and luludou

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Aside from getting the ham for Christmas (and I'll be watching for a good sale) and perishables (salad, fresh veggies as needed, milk, coffee creamer), my list is pretty well done. For holiday baking, I want to get another baking soda and baking powder (a small one, if I can find them), the only things I need are an addditional jar of maraschino cherries and bread flour. Have 2 bags of all-purpose flour, but for my bread maker, bread flour seems to rise better. Plan to stay out of the grocery store, if at all possible. Think I'll live on my pantry and freezer as much as possible during the winter.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The price of eggs and butter have gone through the roof lately. Everything else that we get is pretty stable at the moment. Very rarely do I buy meat from the local grocery stores.
My one freezer is still pretty stocked from huge beef order we got over the summer and the deer my grandson's father got us. Chicken prices at the meat market we use have been coming down. Last month when we were there, we got a 40 lb case of boneless chicken breast for $60 and this week is it on sale for $50 a case.
Gas prices have dropped 40 cents a gallon over the past month too.

One thing I noticed was how prices on some things vary from store to store of the same store name.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Avian flu has had a major impact on chicken and eggs. Butter, not sure why it's over-the-top, unless it relates to downsizing of herds during the pandemic, or the cost of feed??? Made a quick stop at the grocery after my blood draw this AM. They had chicken breasts on sale at $2.99/#, so I grabbed a small pack. Pup had a little "issue" this morning, so if I need to switch to a chicken and rice diet, I'm prepared. Prior to this purchase, my freezer had primarily thighs and drumsticks, which are a little too fatty for the pup (a schnauzer, have to keep diet low-fat due to tendancy for pancreatitis ).

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Stopped at the store for a few things. I was shocked at some of the prices. 7.99 pound for a plain old roast beef. Will be heading up to the little country meat market later in the week, can do much better there. All the shelves were a little sparse. I did find some day old bread. Plan to make a bunch of French toast to freeze for quick breakfasts.
on a happy note, I have 500$ in grocery points earned this year! Husband and I will shop together later this month and use 2 carts. Not that we will need 2 carts with the prices.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have 500$ in grocery points earned this year! Husband and I will shop together later this month and use 2 carts. Not that we will need 2 carts with the prices.
Well done, it will make all the difference.
I had $190 on my card and I am being very careful with how I spend it.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I haven't seen any local shortages yet. There was a notice at BJ's that they were having supply problems with eggs but the fridge was stacked.

I'm wondering if scarce foods are bing shifted to the bigger cities and the smaller areas are getting short shrift.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I need to sit down and read this entire thread cuz I about had a heart attack at the price of candy bars for the stocking stuffers!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My stepmother is a very picky Japanese 92 yr old. She can not longer get out. The other day at one of the better grocery stores. I saw a Matcha dark chocolate bar that was also organic. I picked it up for her. Was $8.99 for a rather small thin bar. She usually does not like what we find but this she liked. Was not too sweet she said. I can’t imagine if i had more people that I had stockings to fill.

Last edited:

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Decided to make sarma (stuff cabbage) and some fried cabbage and noodles. Cabbage was .99/ a pound for plain old garden variety cabbage at the grocery store! Needless to say I didn’t buy it there. I found it for .48/ pound and even that’s high for this time of year.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I grew up eating cabbage and noodles. But we also had corn and cottage cheese with it. I thought my Polish grandma had a name for it. But I forget.