Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Went to 3 Publix and finally found kasha at a Winn-Dixie in Sarasota. Still no matzoh meal so will order from Amazon. Maybe there is a problem with the matzoh supply line and we will have to eat bread on Passover;)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I can only find the decaf iced tea bags I like in the summer months. If I run out in the off-season and can't find them in the stores I shop, I will order a 3-pack from Amazon. I can usualy get them next day, so I'm thinking our Whole Foods store may carry them, but I don't shop there regularly and am not going to make a special trip to check. (I like the Lipton Cold Brew family-size tea bags in decaf. I'll sometimes substitute a couple Twinings cold brew peach iced tea bags for one of the big bags for a pitcher of flavored tea.)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I tried to order matzoh meal from Amazon and they told me none was available.

Will have to get DS to send me some from NY if it hasn't disappeared there yet.

Strange!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Painful trip to the grocery store! Land o lakes butter 6.99/pound yikes! Meat prices are still better at the little country store close to me.
I didn’t see the cold brew decaf tea but they did have canisters of matzoh meal. Happy to ship if you can’t find any close to home.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I tried to order matzoh meal from Amazon and they told me none was available.

Will have to get DS to send me some from NY if it hasn't disappeared there yet.

Strange!
Interesting. A check of Amazon here, and there's plenty to choose from. However, I searched for it without the -h on the end -- matzo meal. Just a thought on trying a different spelling.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Interesting. A check of Amazon here, and there's plenty to choose from. However, I searched for it without the -h on the end -- matzo meal. Just a thought on trying a different spelling.
I went all the way through the ordering process - but it in my cart and went to check out and was told that it was unavailable. A friend of DH's will send me some from NY.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

• Love
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
TFS Jampss. Could be some good hints there.

Reactions: jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Made a quick stop at Aldi on my way back home from picking up a birthday gift for a friend. First, eggs were down nearly $2/dozen from when I was there last time, which is good news. The dairy section was the best stocked I've seen it in a long, long time. The bad news is that they've done away with their plastic shopping bags and only have paper bags. So, if your store has not made this change yet, be aware that it's coming soon.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The bad news is that they've done away with their plastic shopping bags and only have paper bags. So, if your store has not made this change yet, be aware that it's coming soon.
In NYS there are no more plastic bags exceptf for some take out and there is a charge for paper bags. You do get accustomed to bringing your own bags after a while.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
In NYS there are no more plastic bags exceptf for some take out and there is a charge for paper bags. You do get accustomed to bringing your own bags after a while.
I have a stack of Aldi heavy duty plastic ones that I reuse. But they’re getting kind of gross, so I was going to buy a couple of. Red ones. nope, nada, not any more …

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have been taking our own bags to the supermarket for years. They have been phasing out plastic bags for several years and you can only purchase paper bags 25c, reusable 'cloth' types that cost 99c and a bag for cold items that cost 2.00. I have about 5 of the cold bags and I generally put all my groceries in these as they are a bit more sturdy.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
In FL, I have been using the cloth .99 reusable bags in the Publix. But I mostly now go to Aldi's and for sure you have to bring your own. They do sell paper or the plastic reusables.

Eggs were $3.22 this week. They went as high as $4.98! I didn't buy them then. Made "flax seed eggs" for baked goods.

I got some staples at Aldi's but went to our local family grocery store and got a pork picnic hunk for $1.69 lb and I picked the one around $8 bucks. I also got chicken thighs family pack. I forget the price, but it was cheap. I came home and put pork in crock pot all day. I baked chicken. I shredded both and stored in frig for the week and also froze some. I put the bones of both back in crock pot for making bone broth! I also kept the chicken juices and fat from the baking of the chicken and stored that in frig for this week's meals.

I got the idea from my earlier post ....

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DGS#1's high school baseball season started this week. We've eaten exclusively from things that were in the refrigerator or freezer, which made me happy. Several leftover foods were used.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
An update on the matzoh meal situation.

A friend of DH's just sent me 4 boxes from NY. I guess the shortage is just local to FL.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I need to be mindful of taking my reusable bags to the grocery store.
During COVID, they didn't allow us to do that and I haven't gotten back in the habit.

Thanks for the reminder! I'll go put some bags in the back of my car right when I get off of here.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Eggs were less than 4$ a dozen here too.
Im doing a refrig. freezer challenge the next few weeks. I had a bunch of leftovers in the freezer and I felt like they were getting away from me. I pulled everything out and reorganized. The leftovers I packaged into “meal kits” and labeled them. I have a stir fry kit, a pork roast kit etc. some things were bunched together for lunches. That way I can pull out a bag and have an entire meal ready to go. Other wise I’m always rooting around trying to figure out what’s there and what I can do with it.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
DS gave me two years ago at Christmas a little spiral notebook. I keep it on the kitchen counter and write down my freezer contents. I have a page for Meat, Dairy, Veg, Fruit, and Bread. As I pull something out, I cross it off. When a page gets full of cross-offs, I start a new one in that category.

Reactions: halimer and Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Not necessarily groceries, but another shopping category we sometimes forget about. I will be hosting St. Patrick's Day for a group of about 10 or so. When it comes to holidays, where I won't use the decor for everyday, I will typically hit the thrift stores for "extra" serving pieces. Yesterday, I stopped at my closest Goodwill - not my favorite one in the area, but it's fairly new and I got some deals there a couple of weeks ago. I found a beautiful cut crystal hurricane for small tapers or tealight candles for $2.99, a very elegant cut crystal serving bowl for $1.99, and 3 half-pint "squat" mason jars, new with lid and ring for $1 each. I also got a plug-in Scentsy wax warmer for $1.00. I don't think the hurricane had ever been used and, although the Scentsy had wax in the bowl, it cleaned up like new and only needed a new bulb, which I had on hand. When checking eBay after I got home (not that I plan to sell any of them, just to see how I scored), the hurricane sells for $15-$20, the bowl goes upwards of $45, and the same Scentsy sells for around $20. I know the canning jars go for about double that, and I like to use these for gifting jams and jellies, rather than the usual 8 oz. jars. But remember to check your thrift stores for these types of things.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Good tip, Lori.
I donated some books to a used book store and they had a section of gift bags- really nice ones.
Good reminder for me to donate when I get way too many bags!

Annie

Reactions: jampss