Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I use vinegar and water for some things. I also buy a microfiber cloth that just uses water to clean from a young gal. It's called Norwex. It's online. I get their laundry soap as it doesn't make DS sneeze and it lasts forever.
I use an all-purpose cleaner recipe that I got from University of Arkansas. There is a lot of good information there. I used recipe 2 under All Purpose Cleaner. I used that one since I had borax in the house. I also added ginger essential oil which I had already.

Recipe 2
- 2 Tbsp borax
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 cups hot water
Mix borax and vinegar with water in spray bottle.

I was gifted with the E-cloth and use that with water for windows. It sounds like the Norwex that jampss and Lucie use. However, if it is the outside windows that I'm cleaning, I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle and newspapers or paper towels first.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, I no longer purchase glass cleaner. I find that using a cloth that I have wet with hot water works really well. I was surprised with the results, it gets rid of dog nose marks incredibly well.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I use vinegar and water for some things. I also buy a microfiber cloth that just uses water to clean from a young gal. It's called Norwex. It's online. I get their laundry soap as it doesn't make DS sneeze and it lasts forever.
Yep, I use water, vinegar and Norwex cloths. Dawn original for soap. We are trying All Free/Clear for laundry to see if DD or I start to itch. My iMop uses water to clean the floors and the new carpet information says do not shampoo the carpet with anything but water. So we have cut out a lot of the cleaners. A few times a year I use R.O.G. To clean the bathtubs and sinks. The bar soap we use does not leave scrum so sinks, showers and tubs do not get very dirty. I do wipe down (with water) one wall of the shower/tub when I take a shower or bath. Just quickly in about 30 seconds. And the LCs spray down the shower any time they give DD a shower. Every now and then I wipe down the kitchen counters and appliances with vinegar to disenfect.

We have a company come once a year to clean all our windows. It is amazing how clean the windows are when they finish just using water. A razor blade is used for anything stuck on.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Yeah, Norwex seems at first pricey but I'm still using the ones I got from 2016!! DD and I went to a friend's party. DD liked the idea of cleaning with no chemicals for her Pet Fancy Rats she bred and sold!!! :) So, thus started our love affair with Norwex! LOL

DS has always been allergic to soaps and I used to make a powder soap from grating a bar of Fels-Naptha, then adding Borax and Washing Soda. Now, I just get the Norwex and I use less than it calls for in a load. Lasts a long time.

I remember years ago visiting DH's parents and grandma would have us clean the outside of windows with vinegar spray and newspaper!

@Ahorsesoul What is ROG?

Reactions: luludou and Lori K

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yeah, Norwex seems at first pricey but I'm still using the ones I got from 2016!! DD and I went to a friend's party. DD liked the idea of cleaning with no chemicals for her Pet Fancy Rats she bred and sold!!! :) So, thus started our love affair with Norwex! LOL

DS has always been allergic to soaps and I used to make a powder soap from grating a bar of Fels-Naptha, then adding Borax and Washing Soda. Now, I just get the Norwex and I use less than it calls for in a load. Lasts a long time.

I remember years ago visiting DH's parents and grandma would have us clean the outside of windows with vinegar spray and newspaper!

@Ahorsesoul What is ROG?
ROG is a hotel bathroom and tub cleaner. https://www.rog3.com/

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am keen to cut out a lot of cleaning products if I can, I would have to look at the availability and costs of the 'raw' ingredients, borax etc and go from there.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Katrina- I was thinking about this thread a couple of weeks ago.
I was looking for plastic cutlery (which I try to rarely use) for the Pokeeno dinner I was hosting.
I went to several stores and the whole section was bare at every one.

I've also noticed drinks- like iced tea- are astronomical at restaurants. About $5.00 in some places!
Last weekend I was driving around doing errands and I really wanted a diet coke so I went through
a fast food drive through. It was almost $4.00. I couldn't believe it!
When did that happen?
I used to go to Burger King several times a week at work for a diet coke and it was $2.85. I thought that was too much so I stopped doing that.

On Weds when I went to lunch with my colleagues I got a spinach salad and added shrimp.
They charged me $10.00 extra to add FOUR shrimp. Wow!

I've noticed the meat prices are way up as well.

Sigh... I guess this is our way of life now.

Katrina- I think buying 2 of things like the face moisturizer- you would just use up more quickly.

Annie

Last edited:
Reactions: jampss

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annie, I agree with all that you say. I am trying hard to remember to take water with me when I go out. A bottle of water to buy is $3.50, a small bottle of soft drink is $4.05. Ridiculous prices. $10.00 for 4 prawns!!!
I feel that all the little treats that we used to have are now often out of reach.

With the moisturiser I was more considering getting one that we can both use. He has his "mans brand" one and I have my "ladies brand" one. I was thinking of a generic type one that would be suitable for both of us to use.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Katrina- Yes! The add on of the shrimp was almost as much as the original salad was!

I see about the moisturizer. I was thinking you just had them set up in each bathroom.

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Checking in to see how prices are going in your areas.
The last 2 weeks when I have done my weekly shopping, it seems expensive.
Last night I barely got anything as I will be out of town most of next week and I spent
over $100.00!!!

Reactions: Lori K

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I got cranberries for 99 cents a bag at my Aldi and, since I'm not hosting, I made up the sauce today, and jarred it and waterbathed for 10 mins. I got 3 half-pints per bag of berries and have 6 jars ready to put into my pantry. I also made up 4 pints of cranberry juice. All this from 3 bags of cranberries -- $3.00.

DD got the turkey last night. Her Kroger store (here, Mariano's) had nothing smaller than 17# birds, and the difference between fresh and frozen was 0.10 / lb., so they got fresh and there will be plenty of leftovers, since there will be only 6 of us for dinner. I'm bringing green bean casserole -- got green beans on sale for 0.69 a can at a small-chain local store (Caputo's). I'm also making a pumpkin pie. My DM's financial planner is offering your choice of apple or pumpkin pie to their clients, and since they didn't hear from my mom, they called me to let me know, in case she was spending it with me. So, we're picking it up Tues. afternoon and DM's contributing an apple pie to dinner, though she doesn't know that yet. DSIL's sister and his DNephew are bringing HER cranberry sauce and a brussels sprounts dish. DD and DSIL are making the bird, stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, and the dinner rolls. Spreading out the cost among 3 families.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Eggs $1.21 a doz - not as cheap as they used to be, but not $4.89 a doz at Aldi's back when they got that high

Heavy cream qt. $2.40 - got to like $4.89

Bulk sausage pound roll $2.29 - not as cheap as they used to be, but not $3.99 (It was like $1.89 in the before times)

Mayo $3.09 Aldi's brand - got to almost $5 (used to be like $1.95 in the before times)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I think things are very expensive here in Ohio. It seems like prices are continuing to go up every week.
I did score a 5lb bag of potatoes for .99cents. We don’t eat that many potatoes so I’ll make a pan of scallop potatoes (white sauce no cheese) and some mashed for freezer meal sides. The roka blue cheese I finally got, 3.79 for a 5 oz jar! I’m not even sure it’s real cheese.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our grocery prices are significantly higher. I didn't realize how much powdered sugar I use near holidays ... up from 1.25 a bag to 2.29.

Turkeys never came down much. Got it from Walmart 1.29/pound. Super 1 (Brookshire's affiliate) had picnic hams .89/pound with additional purchase and canned vegetables .47 with in store coupon. I've been waiting for leg quarters to go on sale.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Eggs $1.21 a doz
Staples here, sugar, flour, milk, bread etc NEVER go on sale. Eggs are $5 a dozen at Aldi, the cheapest that you will find.
Most supermarket items are still going up although we did see some sausage that went down from $6.00 to $5.50.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Had to make an Aldi run this afternoon -- nearly out of sugar and I need some for the pumpkin pie. Eggs were $1.09/dozen, and cranberries were still on sale for $0.99/bag. Thankful I got nearly everything I needed -- did not have the cut of beef I need, so will go to local grocery tomorrow morning.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Aldi's today: Eggs $1.21, loaf of Sourdough Bread $3.49, 12 K-cup dark coffee pods $4.19 ....

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I stopped by the local chain grocery store last night to get a couple think ...So glad I did. They had fresh turkeys marked down to 29 cents a pound with a use or freeze by date of today. I got a turkey for $5 and stuck it in my chest freezer last night. They also had 10 lb bags of flour with an expiration date of 2025 marked down to $2.75 per bag. I got 2 which will cover my Christmas baking.

Our Walmart has cases of 60 eggs for $5 each.