Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I did my menu and list, then plugged in my Walmart order for pick up tomorrow. My total was insane. Granted there are meds, vitamins, cleaning and paper supplies on there, but the prices are insanely high and that was with menu adjustments for meals we didn't have this week.

Unfortunately, once the prices are raised, they rarely go down even with an improved economy.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have done very very well on my "No spend week."
I had to fight off going to a restaurant that has a spaghetti special on Weds.
Every couple of months I will get that to bring home for dinner. I stuck to my guns, though. LOL
I actually enjoyed the challenge. I felt like I ate like a queen. I even met a cw for lunch- I told her about my challenge and that I couldn't go out to eat. We each brought our lunch and she looked at my
gorgeous salad (Chicken greek salad) and her bags of chips and said, "Wow, that looks sooo good!"

I will be hitting the grocery store this evening for next week.

Annie
Good job Annie!

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
I have done very very well on my "No spend week."
I had to fight off going to a restaurant that has a spaghetti special on Weds.
Every couple of months I will get that to bring home for dinner. I stuck to my guns, though. LOL
I actually enjoyed the challenge. I felt like I ate like a queen. I even met a cw for lunch- I told her about my challenge and that I couldn't go out to eat. We each brought our lunch and she looked at my
gorgeous salad (Chicken greek salad) and her bags of chips and said, "Wow, that looks sooo good!"

I will be hitting the grocery store this evening for next week.

Annie
OMG Annie don't cut back on the wine :D

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My no spend week ended today at lunch.
Yesterday, I specifically ran by the grocery store in the town I work in to get chicken because I did not buy/make enough for my salad for today.
Got home, cooked it up.
Left it at home this morning......
Ah well, A cw/friend that I used to go out to lunch with ALL the time but we haven't in ages, messaged me and asked if I was up for lunch.
I would of had to go get something anyways....

And- I have chicken cooked and ready to go at home.

Lisa- I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago because I had to buy T.P., dishwasher and laundry detergents.
Frosty- Never! Hahahha

Annie

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Annie, well done.
I have a few things scheduled in the next few weeks (like a Costco run) but will look at scheduling another no spend week very soon.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I’ve been stocking up on coffee. Finally found hazelnut decaf that I’ve been looking for. I can’t live without coffee.
Guess I’ll add mustard to my list, ( along with everything else effected by the craziness)
My pantry/ freezer challenge is in full swing. Feeling pretty good about using up some things.
Not grocery related but stamps are going up in July so I’ll be ordering extra stamps for the holiday cards.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll add that to my list to do for next week! Don't they usually go up Jan. 1st?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm growing herbs again. With the rabbits and deer, it's just not worth the frustration of feeding the wild animals but not being able to feed ourselves.

We made salmon cakes for dinner and I used fresh dill that reseeded from last year. I felt like I was so rich! LOL! I forgot how fresh herbs smell and taste.

A few of the herbs didn't make it through the winter. Because of work and classes, I've not had much time for anything else. The local nursery has cut back on their hours. I ended up running to Home Depot and picked up their potted herbs. The small ones were $5 a pot. Last year, they were $3 a pot. When I got home, I took a couple of clippings from the basil and parsley and stuck them in water to root. It's been a week now. The basil has roots. I'm still waiting on the parsley to root. I had to pick up rosemary and lavender as well. A piece of lavender fell off and I stuck it straight into soil. It hasn't died yet. I'll try the rooting rosemary next.

I used to pay $85 for a full grocery cart at Aldi. A few weeks ago, it was just basic replenishing, nothing extra or fancy like snack foods. That cost was $94. I went last weekend and again, the basics. In fact, I hardly got any fruits and vegetables because they were sold out. The cost was $138! This is one way to lose weight! LOL!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I used to pay $85 for a full grocery cart at Aldi. A few weeks ago, it was just basic replenishing, nothing extra or fancy like snack foods. That cost was $94. I went last weekend and again, the basics. In fact, I hardly got any fruits and vegetables because they were sold out. The cost was $138! This is one way to lose weight! LOL!
I am not sure where else to pull back.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I buy the Fiora toilet paper for my son. We have a septic system so I only by Scott’s for us. My septic system seems very happy with it and I don’t want to upset it.

I broke the bank buying strawberries for jam. 6.50 a quart! I didn’t make much jam at that price but atleast we have a little. I went to a local place instead of going back home where I would usually shop. Wasn’t as much fun but I did save on gas.

Pantry/ freezer challenge is in full swing. I’m making good progress on using up stuff. I won’t make a grocery trip until they have another triple points day to maximize my savings. I look at the sales ads for groceries and shake my head.

I think the postage increase goes into effect July 10th. I’m pretty sure that’s the date. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go up again the first of the year given the cost of fuel.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I agree Katrina! Here in the states utility costs are on the rise too. It's a hard time for all. I literally spent 250 dollars today on groceries/supplies for 2 weeks. Previously the same trip would be closer to 175 dollars. That was with no "fun" foods at all. Just the usual items, meds, vitamins and paper goods.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
I buy the Fiora toilet paper for my son. We have a septic system so I only by Scott’s for us. My septic system seems very happy with it and I don’t want to upset it.

I broke the bank buying strawberries for jam. 6.50 a quart! I didn’t make much jam at that price but atleast we have a little. I went to a local place instead of going back home where I would usually shop. Wasn’t as much fun but I did save on gas.

Pantry/ freezer challenge is in full swing. I’m making good progress on using up stuff. I won’t make a grocery trip until they have another triple points day to maximize my savings. I look at the sales ads for groceries and shake my head.

I think the postage increase goes into effect July 10th. I’m pretty sure that’s the date. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go up again the first of the year given the cost of fuel.
Growing your own Strawberries is much cheaper than shop bought MM :)

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Did my weekly grocery shop yesterday.
Spent $106.00. Last week was $105.00.
So, that seems about my average.
Some of the stuff I will not use up within a week- A bottle of olive oil, A large bag of shelled walnuts.
I also bought a 3lb pack of ground turkey. I did the math and it was cheaper to buy it that way.
I will break it up by pound and freeze 2 of them. I will use 1 for lunches this next week.

I don't mind spending this much if I do not eat out at all.
I do have one lunch with colleagues planned out next week.

Annie

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Growing your own Strawberries is much cheaper than shop bought MM :)
It can be! We have 5 acres and we did at one time have a garden. This area is a poorly reclaimed strip mining area so pretty much a giant rock garden. We had soil analysis done etc etc and it just wasn’t worth the frustration anymore. Then there are the 100s of raccoons which more than once trashed what I did get to grow. ( they are so bold we see them peeking in our windows at night). Our friend who farms the property behind us doesn’t understand why the owner wants it planted because the yield is so bad.
I used to help mom with her garden so it wasn’t a issue. She was a farmer, ran my grandmas 88 acre farm before she married dad. Now, I generally deal with 2 family owned farms but they are about 75 minutes away. I miss my garden, I’ve always had one until we moved here. Between the soil issues , critters and my back issues I just deal with the prices.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
It can be! We have 5 acres and we did at one time have a garden. This area is a poorly reclaimed strip mining area so pretty much a giant rock garden. We had soil analysis done etc etc and it just wasn’t worth the frustration anymore. Then there are the 100s of raccoons which more than once trashed what I did get to grow. ( they are so bold we see them peeking in our windows at night). Our friend who farms the property behind us doesn’t understand why the owner wants it planted because the yield is so bad.
I used to help mom with her garden so it wasn’t a issue. She was a farmer, ran my grandmas 88 acre farm before she married dad. Now, I generally deal with 2 family owned farms but they are about 75 minutes away. I miss my garden, I’ve always had one until we moved here. Between the soil issues , critters and my back issues I just deal with the prices.
I totally understand MM.....Its not worth it if the soil is not good for growing and you mentioned the critters. problem....Yes the prices have really gotten out of hand especially fruit and veg....Enjoy the rest of your weekend MM :)

Reactions: SmackDabFarmGirl

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
This weekend was out in the Hamptons with DS and DDIL.

I picked up some of the foods for their BBQ at Sam's Club. Among other things I got least expensive rolls and Amish potato salad which I had never tried, and they were both a hit. Also inexpensive Maker's Mark Angus burgers and Nathan's franks.

But they needed to pick up some extra veggies, etc. so we went to the Shop Rite in East Hampton - a rich area - and the prices were INSANE!. Of course, they also had foods that I would not be able too find in my local Shop Rite - like probably 30 kids of hummus - but still! The Diet Pepsi I paid $1.25 for at $Tree was double the price there! I didn't mention it because they had no choice. And the store was incredibly busy!

I guess a lot of folks aren't worried about $ and I'm glad that DS and DDIL are among them, but we're a bit more frugal here.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I'm growing herbs again. With the rabbits and deer, it's just not worth the frustration of feeding the wild animals but not being able to feed ourselves.
We had the same problem. Got chicken wire fence and posts and fenced off the garden. Now the only thing they get are the cucumbers if they grow to close to the fence.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I just paid deposit yesterday on 1/4 of a cow that we will pick up next month. They only had a few shares left now for summer pick up and they said they will be raising their prices for the fall orders.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
There is a shortage of lettuce here due to the floods that happened over the Summer. If you can find one the price of an iceberg lettuce is around $12.00! I read that KFC are putting cabbage on their burgers instead of lettuce.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I’ve been doing pretty good on my budget finding things I need at aldis and food lion . When I see things at Publix on sale I will get it for the normal they are expensive. I have cut back on going out to eat my weakness is still Dunkin’ Donuts can I have the app so I do get some free drinks. I have the movie pass where I pay $20 a month so I can go as much as I want. I did get season passes for my grandson an hour to go to Kings Dominion and we had the meal plan only thing I’ll be spending is gas. I live about 30 minutes from there everything else we do is not that far from my house. Hopefully gas and groceries will come down but we just have to wait and see. . My grandson is not picky with eating so that helps a lot