Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My husband does the shopping. If I write something on the list he takes that to mean he needs to run to the store. Yesterday he went on a shopping spree to Costco, Sam's, HyVee, the natural food store and then Walmart. Found out what he really was doing was going to buy a new Remote Control car so he pretended he thought I would want him shopping. This morning there was one thing on the list so he said he'd run to Walmart to get it. I said no I really did not need it right now. He starts in well he didn't mind and he would call me from the store before he left to come home incase I thought of something else. Came home with golf balls which were on sale and the reason he wanted to go in the first place. Why he thinks he can't just go buy something with out make believing it's a shopping trip for me I do not know.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Lori- I like that game! How long can I go before I have to grocery shop!
Katrina- I'm ready for another no spend week. Think I will do that for most of this week.
May not be able to over the weekend as I think Christine may be back down here.
Diedra- My Dad went to the store every day. It was like a social outing for him.
Maybe your DH feels the same? He can be out and about among people?

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina- I'm ready for another no spend week. Think I will do that for most of this week.
Annie. I am ready, I have enough milk and bread and if I follow my meal plan to a tee I will be OK.
Cleaned out the freezers yesterday, deleted some items form the menu plan and added what I found in the freezer, happy with that rejigged plan.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
If you have an option of shopping different stores, please watch your sales flyers and give it a try. Example from this morning --

I need to stock up on chicken breasts for my freezer (family packs are OK, prefer boneless skinless, but will buy regular). I transfer them to individual vacuum pack bags for the freezer (household of 1).

Meijer (big box regional store similar to a WalMart, if you're not familiar) -- $4.79 / pound​
Jewel -- $5.99 / pound​
Mariano's (Kroger) -- $5.99 / pound (Miller's Amish, family pack); regular $3.99/pound; Perdue $4.99 / pound​
Aldi -- only has drumsticks in their ad this week​
Berkot's (local chain) -- $4.99 / pound​
Caputo's (local chain) -- $2.99 / pound, any size package​

While I tend to shop at Meijer because I can get everything in one stop, including my prescriptions, Caputo's is closest to me and offers a "senior discount day", bringing the price down to $2.70#, if I wait until next Tues. to purchase. I can get twice the chicken for the same money, by shopping a different store. In times like these, I think it's worth it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
If you have an option of shopping different stores, please watch your sales flyers and give it a try. Example from this morning --
I do this weekly .. I split my shopping up between aldi, walmart and 2 local chain grocery stores. There is also a meat market about 45 minutes from my house that we go to once a month or every other month. The price differences between stores/sales can be huge.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do this weekly .. I split my shopping up between aldi, walmart and 2 local chain grocery stores.
I shop between 3 local stores. They are all very close location wise so not too much petrol is used going from store to store. I find the savings worth the extra time and effort.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm also a multi-store shopper, looking at the sales circulars before I go. Bulk stores, i.e. Sam's, are not always less expensive. You have to be observant.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Was thinking about the week ahead and what to take for lunches.
I'll only be there M-W.

Hmmm..
Have:
Tostada shells
ground turkey in the freezer
taco seasoning
lettuce
tomatoes
onions
kidney beans
olives

Tostadas for lunch!
No grocery shopping required!!!!!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I count on you to give me great tips and warn me when something might be running out!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Ten pounds of potatoes at Aldi's Friday was $6.10. o_O But then the 3 pound bag of red potatoes were 3.99 on sale, so I got that and fried them up with onions and peppers and divided them up into the freezer.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I needed to get out into the country over the weekend and take care of a couple of errands. While there, I stopped at a roadside farm stand and scored big time. 20# box of regular canning tomatoes, $9.00. A 10 lb. box of Roma tomatoes $8.00 (these were 1sts, so more expensive; could have gotten a 20 lb. box of 2nds for $12, but I don't need that many; 2nds were only available in big boxes). Huge green peppers 2/$1.00. Banana peppers, $1.00/lb. For my chef friend -- Poblano peppers (and they were huge) $1.50/lb. Jalapenos $1.00/lb. Tomatillos $1.00/lb. Also grabbed a quart of peaches on a clearance rack because they were really ripe, $2.00. Fresh corn by the ear, 2 ears for $0.75 -- I love it, but it doesn't love me, or I would have gotten more; I think it was $4.50/dozen. Cabbage (a huge head) $2.50. Quart basket of plums $3.50. Zucchini dropped from 3/$1.00 to 4/$1.00 this week, as zucchini is really coming on strong with the rain we got last week; I didn't need any more, or I would have stocked up to shred for the freezer (I don't have room for any more).

I think I've got enough produce for the week and well into next week. If you're remotely close to the country and a farming area, watch for those roadside stands. They've got some really really really good deals and can save you a ton of money.

FYI, from the 20 lb. box of tomatoes, I expect I'll get somewhere between 12 and 18 pints of plain tomatoes for use in chili, casseroles, etc. (this will be for my DD; I still have plenty left from last year). From the 10 lb. box of Roma's, I'll probably get 8-10 pints of spaghetti sauce. It's cost effective to can them, I know exactly what's in that jar, and I can control my sodium better than with commercially prepared. And, it tastes sooooo much better that what you can buy.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good scores Lori. I see some busy times ahead for you.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
from the 20 lb. box of tomatoes, I expect I'll get somewhere between 12 and 18 pints of plain tomatoes for use in chili, casseroles, etc. (this will be for my DD; I still have plenty left from last year).
Gave 10 reg tomatoes and 20 romas to my chef-friend. Still got 17 pints and 1 quart of regular plain stewed tomatoes (didn't want to go downstairs just for 2 pint jars). On to the romas and sauce-making. Romas are in the oven roasting.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Got the last of my produce to play with here. Regular canning tomato’s are 11$ a peck for first. I might be able to find them cheaper but I love my Mennonite farmer. I got 4 baskets (bushel). Baskets weigh between 13-15 pounds. I’ll roast one for sauce, the others I’ll just peel and freeze. Corn is running 6.50 to 8$ a dozen,I paid 6.75. I got 2 dozen. One we are eating now. The other I processed and froze. You pretty much have to wait while they pick which is great. I’ll make plum butter on Saturday. Prune plums were 21$ a peck, If we didn’t enjoy plum butter so much I would have passed on them. Sunday we will be scraping plum butter off the ceiling most likely.
Lori, we can hardly eat commercial prepared tomatoes here. They tasted terrible to us and so much sodium in them.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
What i did this year was harvest all my vegetables and made soup with it and stored away in the freezer...We think it will keep us going for atleast 6 months....Also been buying butcher packs that have been on offer at our butchers and made shepherds pie with the left over potatoes soo nothing is wasted atall....Our Energy cap has gone up 80% since April ....Our price cap was £1980 and prices for the start off October has gone upto £3549...They are saying it could reach £6000 by April 2023:(

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
What i did this year was harvest all my vegetables and made soup with it and stored away in the freezer...We think it will keep us going for atleast 6 months....Also been buying butcher packs that have been on offer at our butchers and made shepherds pie with the left over potatoes soo nothing is wasted atall....Our Energy cap has gone up 80% since April ....Our price cap was £1980 and prices for the start off October has gone upto £3549...They are saying it could reach £6000 by April 2023:(
How does the price cap work? Is this the expense for the year and what happens if it goes over?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I just read through the posts as I finished up my shopping list. Lots of great ideas and good reminders. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow or Friday to take advantage of the sales at the grocery store for the last summer holiday weekend.

Oil prices here have gone up a lot too. We've always pre-paid for the year because it's cheaper in the long run. Last I saw, depending on the oil company, it was fluctuating between $4.39 a galloon and $4.59 a gallon. I have to order oil soon. We are almost out.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Reactions: farmerswife