Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Interesting article about the "Supershopper". Not quite what you might think. Also tells about the first supermarket on LI.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Jane-
I wondered if delayed shipment means items that are put out at the stores are near or at their expiration date.
Canned goods don't really worry me- unless they are very expired.
What worries me more is meat.
And my half and half. LOL!
Curdled half and half- Bleh!

Annie
We recently had two instances where the half and half was bad before the expired date. As Jane said, it was definitely mishandling somewhere along the way.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’m a date watcher here too. It’s seems more and more things are shorted dated. I’m thinking it just sets someplace due to transportation issues.
I came in under budget for my monthly shopping mostly because I couldn’t find things or they were too expensive for my budget. Shopping once a month keeps me from spending money that I don’t need too. We use up everything we have. If we run out of eggs or 1/2 n1/2 we make do until the next shopping day.
My June pantry/freezer challenge was a success. I used so much stuff that was just hanging around here. Even my husband was getting into it. There’s a few things left but I will continue to work my way through things. Will make baklava to use up filo sheets after my husbands doctor appointment.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I haven't done a full grocery shop in about 3 weeks due to using what was on hand and being out of town for several days.

I have to go this evening and I'm quite nervous...
Gas prices have decreased about 60 cents in the last month but groceries??

Annie

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Last week, I did my first major grocery shop since July 1st. Produce here seems to have stabilized, I think because local products are now coming to market. Meat is still off the hook and I'm finding myself buying single servings from the meat case, rather than family packs (and freezing in individual portions). What meat I did buy was on sale at a good price. Pork seems to be faring better that beef or poultry. I'm also now regularly shopping at multiple stores -- dairy at Aldi, produce at Aldi and Caputo's, meats at Meijer and Berkots ... just make my list and compare prices at each store, shop for loss leaders at each. Mostly, I'm cooking from my pantry and freezer, and only buying fresh items that don't have a long shelf life. Was in SW Michigan yesterday and fuel prices were in the $4.25-range (compared to $5.55 here, in the Chicago 'burbs).

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
dairy at Aldi, produce at Aldi and Caputo's, meats at Meijer and Berkots ... just make my list and compare prices at each store, shop for loss leaders at each. Mostly, I'm cooking from my pantry and freezer, and only buying fresh items that don't have a long shelf life. Was in SW Michigan yesterday and fuel prices were in the $4.25-range (compared to $5.55 here, in the Chicago 'burbs).
Ha, when I saw Caputo‘s as one of your stores I thought she must live in the Chicagoland area, I read further down on your post and lo and behold you are in the Chicago burbs! My mother-in-law when she was alive absolutely loved Caputo‘s but not the one that still stands it was a cousin who owned this Caputo’s and it was in Des Plaines. It was always so fun to go there with her, she would speak Italian to the butcher all the store employees knew her and the music blasting from the 40s it was just always an experience when we would come into town. Great memories of shopping at Caputo‘s!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
The grocery shopping wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
It was right around $100.00 where as a month or two ago, I was averaging $150.00.
I did take note that the chicken I needed for my crockpot recipe was quite expensive.
Where a 3 pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts used to be $9-$10, it was now $12-$15.

A reminder to use leftovers creatively and NOT waste!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The grocery shopping wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.
I have been averaging around $100 for my main shop (Aldi and Woolworths once a fortnight) and around $50 for my top up shop. Pleased that with a lot of planning and imagination my monthly shop is around $300 or so.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have not added up our grocery shopping total. Dh goes shopping at least once a day brings home extras of things I do not want or can use. The idea of a shortage puts the guy in heavenly shopping mode. I have tried not putting things on the shopping list but if there isn’t anything there he can still go shopping. lol

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Katrina- I need to get to where you are at, $$ wise.

Reactions: homemade4me

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina- I need to get to where you are at, $$ wise.
That is not to say that it works that way every week. Some weeks are just a blow out and I cannot reel it in. If it happens occasionally I am OK with that, we can only do our best.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I can't believe it I just stopped at the Pig and they had butter on sale for 2.99, amazing since the prices have been climbing I have been paying 4.99. Just made my day!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I can't believe it I just stopped at the Pig and they had butter on sale for 2.99, amazing since the prices have been climbing I have been paying 4.99. Just made my day!
That is a great price, I hope you stocked up!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Not intended to add to the grocery budget woes, but wanted to pass along two news items that came up today, as I was making a trek to the grocery store (pulled out the zucchini to make zucchini bread for the fundraiser and it was slime. ugh!!!!)

1. The news report included a story about drought and excessive heat in Spain, which may have a significant impact on this year's production of olive oil.

2. Another news story discussed the war in Ukraine, noting that Ukraine is a world producer of sunflowers and sunflower oil. The report indicated that the production of sunflower oil has been impacted and we can expect shortages of sunflower oil.

If you use either product, now may be the time to check your supplies. Olive oil is on my list, and I'm going to add another bottle of vegetable oil, as I'm sure that will go up as people are forced to switch from sunflower-based oils.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Some weeks my grocery budget is well under $100 and other weeks it's well over $200. When I come across a rock bottom stock up sale price on items we use I do just that and stock up. I have been going through the sale ads for the 2 local grocery store chains plus aldi's and walmart and some weeks I shop at 2 different stores and other weeks I am shopping at 4. Thankfully the stores are either a few minutes from my work or from home so I am not traveling far to shop.

I am happy to see the gas prices falling but would be even happier of they fell even faster.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My July shopping trip was cut short because I could feel my self getting sicker by the minute. I got about 1/2 way through the store and decided to check out and go home. Since we had scripts to pick up today my husband picked up a few extras for us. He was very good about only getting the few essentials to tied us over to our regular shopping day. We’ve accumulated 350$ in points by just shopping on bonus point days.
Butter here had been 2.99 for weeks until July when it shot up to 4.99 (I remember that much, lol). I have 30 pounds stashed away so we are good.
Thanks for the heads up about the oil issues. It’s so hard to keep up with everything these days.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I went grocery shopping last evening and the total price didn't seem as brutal as it did a couple of months ago.
I did think about what Lori said and grabbed a bottle of olive oil as I do cook with that quite a bit.
I figure if I have a couple of bottles in reserve, I should be good.
I also grabbed a bottle of Siracha- The shelves have been bare of that for several weeks and there were only 3 bottles.

I was proud of myself- I had a container of pinto beans and ham in the freezer. I also had some rice left from my Ploblano chicken. I needed to do something with that rice before it was destined for the trash. I defrosted the pinto beans and made a lunch of rice and beans and it was delicious.

These are the thought processes I need to have in order to not be wasteful!

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
These are the thought processes I need to have in order to not be wasteful!
I totally agree. DH and I are really focusing on not being wasteful and getting the most out of what we buy. Rice is a good one to try and use up as I often cook way too much. I have been adding a bit of milk and sugar to boiled rice and adding to some stewed apples for a nice dessert.

My budget over the past few weeks has settled a little too. I do indeed notice that products are skyrocketing still. Sour cream up 50c since I bought it last fortnight and I still suffer from sticker shock. I am just a little more realistic as to what I need to buy and what I can get for my money.

Time for another grocery no spend week.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
My grocery budget for July was off the charts, because I hosted a holiday get-together, helped my DSIL with DD's 40th b-day party, and baked and canned for a charity fundraiser, all of which took me beyond my regular pantry shop. August is back on track and (knock on wood) my grocery budget is better under control, even with having to restock some of my pantry items (sugar, flour, etc.). My running grocery list is on the refrig and my plan is to only head to the store when there's something I absolutely cannot go without -- like, this morning, the milk was well past the "use by" date and was curdling, so I'll need to stop at Aldi later today for that and spread butter, which is running low. Otherwise, I'm using what I have on hand and the partial end-of-pot jars of what I've been canning. No sense in buying, if you can use what you have on hand.

My process is to start with my menu plan (and I write down 3 meals a day, except Sunday, which is 2). This is essentially how I've tended to plan for the past 40 years. But, I've been more attentive to it since I was widowed 8 years ago and more recently post-retirement with inflation wreaking havoc on my budget.

• First, I note any meals out or social events for the week, which will require a change in my meal routine, and I note the place where I will be eating -- lunch at a BBQ place, a restaurant known for their chicken, or is it a concert in the park, where coolers are allowed.
  • Then, I'll plan breakfasts for the week, followed by dinners, and lastly lunches. In this way, I can plan lunches utilizing anticipated dinner leftovers.
  • Finally, I'll check my pantry to make sure I have everything I need for the meals, noting items I'll need to purchase. If that list is getting too long and I know I have other items available to use, I'll adjust my menu plan and substitute items I DO have on hand or shift meals to later in the week, so I'm not making a special trip to the store.
For example, this past week, I had a taste for stuffed peppers, but the peppers I bought at the farm stand were used when I canned spaghetti sauce. But, I did grab a $1.00 bag of banana peppers while there and I had Italian sausage in the freezer, so I made stuffed banana peppers, like the ones DH and I used to get as an appetizer when we'd stop at our favorite Italian cafe on our way home from work -- I had everything on hand and it brought back some good memories, too (and I used up the 1/2 jar of spaghetti sauce, as well).

Lately, I've kind of been playing a "game" as I menu plan -- how long can I go before I have to grocery shop? I also watch the grocery ads closely and play how low can you go, utilizing columns for noting sale prices for the various stores. I have several stores to shop at (I live in a suburban metropolitan area, with 10 grocery stores within 5 miles of my home) and many of the stores have their circulars on the same cycle. Prices on pork have recently varied by $0.75/# from store to store. And, now being retired, I have time to make multiple stops when I'm out getting groceries.

Hope this info is helpful!