Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are not doing Thanks giving here but are finding shortages on items. Cheese is hard to come by at the moment, block, sliced or shredded are very scare. Not many frozen potato products. Frozen chips, hash browns or potato gems are hard to be found for sure.

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
At Aldi's ...
My Aldi was fully stocked. Got everything on my list and a couple of prices were even better than what was in the flyer. I discovered this morning that I never picked up green beans. Was waiting for them to go on sale. The ones at Aldi were more than what I know is on sale at our Meijer, so will be making an early AM run to Meijer in the AM. Meijer also had better deals advertised on salad and some fruits, and their Cool Whip was about 60 cents cheaper than Aldi. Forgot to get celery while at Aldi, so may make a quick stop for that (there's an Aldi right next to Meijer, a different one from the one I went to today).

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
An Aldi's word of caution. I have a few items I forgot to get (green beans, cool whip) and a longer list of "need to get a back-up supply" items, where I know I"m running low. Before I headed out to Aldi yesterday, I double checked to see what Meijer had on sale. Their emails this past week have been enticing, and I need to go to another shop out that way, anyway. Surprisingly, although Aldi had some good prices, it was NOT the cheapest on many items. And on many other items, pricing was the same as Meijer. I guess I'd become complacent on thinking that Aldi was always cheaper. Due diligence ladies and gents, check those flyers and online ads!

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
An Aldi's word of caution.
I do do due diligence with my shopping and I also have the commissary to work with which often has good prices.

Today I went to Walmart and got two boxes of cake mix. Price said $1.38. I said "should I go to $Tree and save 13 cents? Decided I was too tired. At the check out they rang up as $1 even. Went to $Tree anyhow as I needed pie plates.

And just a note - there may be a rr strike after Dec. 9 due to the conductors not agreeing on a contract. News said it would effect the perishable foods that we want to put on the holiday table.

Isn't it always something!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been shopping at Aldi. In general, their prices are better than the grocery store down the street from me. Surprisingly, Wegmans, which has always been the chain store for the rich folks with their high prices, is offering better prices than my local grocery store. $1.79 a lb for frozen vegetables verses $2.50 a lb. local.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do a price comparison between Aldi and Woolworths every week and write the WW prices on my shopping list. If I see it cheaper at Aldi I get it. If it is the same price as Woolworths I get it from there as I earn rewards points, 1 point for every dollar spent. 2000 points equals $10 to spend. Free money.

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just reading an article from a dietician regarding 5 cheap but nutritious foods to stock up on if possible.

Tinned tomatoes of any sort. Very versatile and healthy.
Tinned fish. Once again versatile and healthy.
Tinned beans, lentils and chick peas,
Carrots (fresh) Can be chopped, blanched and frozen.
Eggs! These have been very hard to come by here but are cheap and versatile if you can find some.
Did you know you can freeze eggs if you have a surplus?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DH and I ran to Super1 yesterday morning to get soft drinks that were on sale. They had turkeys and whole fryers both on sale for .50 a pound. I bought a turkey (for Christmas) and two fryers.

frostythesnowman

Premiere Member
May 4, 2013
uk
Just back from grocery shopping and i must say i think they change the prices every week sighsssssssssssssss.....Apparently with bird flu here in the UK prices of turkeys is going to go through the roof sighssssssssss....

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Just back from grocery shopping and i must say i think they change the prices every week sighsssssssssssssss.....Apparently with bird flu here in the UK prices of turkeys is going to go through the roof sighssssssssss....
As the turkey would say, “Eat Ham!”

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Being under the weather, I ran by a convenience store for orange juice.
$5.55 for the container!!
I have never seen it that high and have gone by this convenience store before for o.j.
I did not want to pay it but could not bear handling the store.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I grocery shopped yesterday and prices are beyond ridiculous. I‘d estimate that my trips have increased by 50-60 dollars, with the same general purchases. Nothing extra. It’s horrible.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I grocery shopped yesterday and prices are beyond ridiculous. I‘d estimate that my trips have increased by 50-60 dollars, with the same general purchases. Nothing extra. It’s horrible.
Things are very tight here too.
Prices have jumped a lot. Dishwasher cleaner that I was after is now $11.00!!! DIshwashing tablets $56.00. Looks like I will be going back to hand washing dishes.
Pre made pasta ravioli that I like to have on hand $9.00 was $5.50 at the beginning of the year.

I cannot see where it will all end.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Being under the weather, I ran by a convenience store for orange juice.
$5.55 for the container!!
I have never seen it that high and have gone by this convenience store before for o.j.
I did not want to pay it but could not bear handling the store.
The Florida orange crop was decimated by Hurricane Ian. I’d expect orange juice prices to remain high for a long time.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Being under the weather, I am left to a few Thanksgiving leftover bites and that's about it.
So, I ran to Taco Bell. Ordered 2 chicken burritos (figured they would be an easy heat up when needed) and 1 taco.

$15.00!!!!!!!!!!

I almost passed out when the clerk said the amount.
Those burritos were over $5.00 a piece.
For Taco Bell??!! I think the most I've paid before for those burritos was $1.79 a piece.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Being under the weather, I am left to a few Thanksgiving leftover bites and that's about it.
So, I ran to Taco Bell. Ordered 2 chicken burritos (figured they would be an easy heat up when needed) and 1 taco.

$15.00!!!!!!!!!!

I almost passed out when the clerk said the amount.
Those burritos were over $5.00 a piece.
For Taco Bell??!! I think the most I've paid before was $1.79.
We ordered salads the other day from a local restaurant and I was shocked too. I wrote down what was in it so I can just make it at home.