Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Walmart here is up to 5.98 a dozen eggs. Crazy! So thankful we are able to get eggs from our Lauren. She brought me 2 flats yesterday. I gave 2 dozen to my parents.

Yesterday I was unable to find waxed paper at WM and Aldi. They were also still out of Heart Smart Bisquick at WM. Butter was 5.98 a pound at WM, got it for 3.98 at Aldi. My concern is that these prices will be the norm. This happened before with the trucking shortage.....then prices went up and stayed there and they continue to rise.
Lisa, I agree. I don't think prices will come back down, either, which is very concerning to me.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Prices are coming down here ever so slightly but not on all items. Softdrink that skyrocketed, almost doubled is slowly coming down as is some snack foods etc. But there are no real changes to every day items and most are continuing to rise. A 2 pack of pre made garlic bread was 1.90 before Christmas (around October)then went to 2.10 and is now 2.40.
A box of kids snacks that Mum and I purchased last year for 5.50 is now 8.90!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I need to go back and read this whole thread, because going to the grocery store is starting to get to me. After a trip the other day my brother asked me if something was wrong. Apparently my grumpiness was radiating. I just left feeling so defeated. With this special diet requirements especially, everything cost SOOOOO much. As much as I want to promote healthy eating for families, I see why some make the choices they do. People say in the long run it's cheaper to eat "healthy" and in some ways yes, but in the moment when you are trying to feed your family that day and the bank account is low, you make the choices you need to and that's often not the "healthiest" choices. Just makes me sad and angry. I hope they go down, but like others I don't think so. It's also prices me out of selling my breads right now. Eggs alone, makes sweet bread to costly to bake and resell.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, we are finding that things are still not fully stocked here. You go with a meal plan in mind and when you get to the supermarket there are empty shelves every where which makes things tough. I suppose that I am "lucky" that I don't have a family to feed just DH and I and he is so easy going.
I don't know what I would do if I had 2 or 3 kids to feed.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I bought eggs a couple of weeks back at Aldi for $3.89 a dozen. I was fed up then but later that night, dh said he just got back from the local grocery store and they were charging $5.00 a dozen. We use to eat eggs for dinner since it was a cheap source of protein but with these prices, it won't be as often.

I'm now using flax "eggs" in my baked goods. [Mix 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal + 3 teaspoons of water, wait 15 minutes for it to gel.] It worked well with pancakes. I haven't tried it with cookies or cake. I've used it for a binder when I make lentil "meat" loaf.

I can buy a pound of flax seed meal for $3.75 and a pound of lentils for $1.45 at Aldi. I'm looking at recipes that use more plant-based sources of protein.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@Holiday_Mom I have flax seed on my list because I thought of that very same thing!! And ... extending meat with puree blackbeans (somewhat hide from DH ... LOL) It's time to be creative for sure.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I bought eggs a couple of weeks back at Aldi for $3.89 a dozen. I was fed up then but later that night, dh said he just got back from the local grocery store and they were charging $5.00 a dozen. We use to eat eggs for dinner since it was a cheap source of protein but with these prices, it won't be as often.

I'm now using flax "eggs" in my baked goods. [Mix 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal + 3 teaspoons of water, wait 15 minutes for it to gel.] It worked well with pancakes. I haven't tried it with cookies or cake. I've used it for a binder when I make lentil "meat" loaf.

I can buy a pound of flax seed meal for $3.75 and a pound of lentils for $1.45 at Aldi. I'm looking at recipes that use more plant-based sources of protein.

Mary, I make lentil tacos and I have been looking through lentil loaf recipes to try....I saw some that used flax seed meal.....I was thinking of lentil stuffed peppers to try also...
Laurie
Reason why

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Might be worth it to ask friends / family of they know of a meat market/butcher that has good prices. The meat market we used is a good 45 minutes to an hour away and I only found out about it because a friend told me about it. They do not advertise in my area, so I had no idea about them. We make a trip there once every 2 to 3 months and stock up by the cases as the prices by the case are really great. The money I save there on meats frees up money for other areas of my budget. Can't hurt to ask around.
I am hoping prices on eggs come down soon too.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I need to go back and read this whole thread, because going to the grocery store is starting to get to me. After a trip the other day my brother asked me if something was wrong. Apparently my grumpiness was radiating. I just left feeling so defeated. With this special diet requirements especially, everything cost SOOOOO much. As much as I want to promote healthy eating for families, I see why some make the choices they do. People say in the long run it's cheaper to eat "healthy" and in some ways yes, but in the moment when you are trying to feed your family that day and the bank account is low, you make the choices you need to and that's often not the "healthiest" choices. Just makes me sad and angry. I hope they go down, but like others I don't think so. It's also prices me out of selling my breads right now. Eggs alone, makes sweet bread to costly to bake and resell.
I stopped at a crepes place yesterday and they have completely removed all the savory crepes from their menu because the prices of vegetables and eggs keep increasing. A friend who is on a Keto eating program (meat, cheese, vegetables, butter) said her grocery bill has almost doubled since they started a year ago. I buy frozen fish from Costco and it seems like the price keeps creeping up.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
OK, I'm struggling to understand this -- At my local store, I watched a woman put 2 packs of drumsticks (8 per pack) and 2 packs of thighs (8 per pack) in her cart. The store has chicken drumsticks (family pack) on sale for 0.99/lb. w/ loyalty card and chicken thighs (family pack) on sale for $1.49/lb. w/loyalty. But, they also have chicken leg quarters (family pack; leg and thigh as one piece) on sale for 0.99 - 0.60 store loyalty card = 0.39/lb. Why would someone buy the legs and thighs [separately] at that higher price???? Especially when you're buying the same quantity of each??? All you have to do is cut them into 2 pieces at the joint. This woman bought an equal number of drumsticks, and thighs. Why not buy the leg quarters and separate into legs and thighs and save $$$. Maybe I'm missing something ...

Reactions: jampss

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
OK, I'm struggling to understand this -- At my local store, I watched a woman put 2 packs of drumsticks (8 per pack) and 2 packs of thighs (8 per pack) in her cart. The store has chicken drumsticks (family pack) on sale for 0.99/lb. w/ loyalty card and chicken thighs (family pack) on sale for $1.49/lb. w/loyalty. But, they also have chicken leg quarters (family pack; leg and thigh as one piece) on sale for 0.99 - 0.60 store loyalty card = 0.39/lb. Why would someone buy the legs and thighs [separately] at that higher price???? Especially when you're buying the same quantity of each??? All you have to do is cut them into 2 pieces at the joint. This woman bought an equal number of drumsticks, and thighs. Why not buy the leg quarters and separate into legs and thighs and save $$$. Maybe I'm missing something ...
Maybe she's not comfortable cutting them apart? I think some people find cutting through a chicken joint to be a little daunting, like it requires some special skill. I remember when we lived in the UK in the 70s, my Mum bought whole chickens and Dad cut them into pieces. I'm not sure if it was because it was cheaper that way or if packs of pieces were just not sold as they are today?

Reactions: Lori K and jampss

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I believe many lack either, a) reasoning skills or b) math skills. I had a great uncle who worked for a grocery store many years. At one time, salt was regularly.25/ box. About once every 6 weeks it was advertised on "special" for 3 for $1.00. He said people would buy more on "special" than at regular price.

Or it could be as Pamela said. When I taught home economics, I was surprised at the number of students who had an aversion to handling raw meat of any kind.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I would always cut up my chickens and beef for stew, etc. when I was just married. Got lazy now and usually get them cut up.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
They always say a whole chicken is less expensive than buying it cut up.
But a lot people don't want to break down a whole chicken...
I don't mind it but cutting out that back bone is kind of yucky.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
With the Super Bowl approaching, I'm going to look for grocery sales. At least, I'm hoping for sales.
Mary, I make lentil tacos and I have been looking through lentil loaf recipes to try....I saw some that used flax seed meal.....I was thinking of lentil stuffed peppers to try also...
I haven't had stuffed peppers since I was a kid. That might be a nice change here. I made sloppy joe's the other night. I was thinking of trying that with lentils. Maybe I mix half lentils with the ground beef first? I'm finding that a gradual change is better here. Taco lentils and lentil loaf have gotten the thumbs up.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
These look fun and yummy!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I always have iced tea in the fridge.
Because I drink it in the evenings, I use decaf tea bags.
Cannot find them!!!! May have to order off of Amazon.

Reactions: jampss

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I always have iced tea in the fridge.
Because I drink it in the evenings, I use decaf tea bags.
Cannot find them!!!! May have to order off of Amazon.
Same problem here with finding the decaf tea bags.