Camping ..... food ideas?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We have 2 weekends that we will go camping this summer..... Do you have any food ideas (prepared in advance would be the BEST!).... or last minute prep is ok too.

happyalice

MHH Member
Oct 16, 2007
Hi!
We go camping quite a bit throughout the summer, it's my favorite kind of vacation. Some travel-friendly foods are:
hotdogs (of course!), but we also grill steaks and burgers
canned stuff works ok, I've done baked beans cooked in their own can over an open fire and they tasted pretty good
salads are harder, but I love 'em so I make it work. The lettuce goes in the very top of the cooler, farthest away from the ice.
of course, marshmallows are a must. S'mores are popular in most families, I think (just not mine!)
we tend to do lots of finger foods...carrot sticks w/peanut butter, radishes, grapes and raisins, apples w/peanut butter, lots of fresh stuff to combat those hotdogs
our breakfast staple is pancakes. Those get cooked on a griddle over the fire, with lots and lots of butter. I buy pancake mix instead of trying to cart all of the ingredients with us. we also use the griddle to cook bacon or sausage and grilled cheese sandwiches.
I also like to take a hamburger patty, wrap it in foil with a piece of white onion and chunks of potato, then place in the coals of your fire for an hour or so.
I always take a couple of cans of fruit salad with us and toss them in the cooler so they're nice and cold when we're ready to eat them. don't forget to pack the can opener!
If we're backpacking, we take several kinds of Clif bars and jerky. The first time we hiked/camped I thought I needed to take a lot more cooking stuff and food, and then found that I really just wanted something light.

One thing to remember for sure, you need to double bag any meat in the cooler, in fact, I keep the meats in one cooler and everything else in another one.

Hope you have fun! :grin:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hmm...we used to bring cold cereal and lots and lots of marshmallows.
Powdered milk to add water to on site if you have no refrigeration available.
Mini pancakes would be good as you can eat them cold with Lyle's golden syrup.
I don't know what you have available for keeping meat safe, but we enjoyed roasting hot dogs on a stick over the fire.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I got a great site fromOC last year-Maybe campncook posted it-I'm not sure- Unfortunately I can't find it anymore. But I made a breakfast that was onions, potatoes,cheese,bacon and sausage. This was all precooked and seasoned and packaged for the cooler and then when you cooked it you added eggs-It fed 8 of us with some leftover! I always take precooked potatoes to make home fries. We also took our slowcooker and did ribs in it while we went to the local waterpark for the day. There was also a recipe for dessert fahitas it had chocolate chips and maybe fluff-I'm not sure-I made those up and put them in foil as well you can do this with bananas, chocolate chips and fluff or marshmallows;and then cook them on the fire.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Vegetables in foil is an awesome and easy campfire meal! Besides canned veggies, all you need are potatoes and onions and some salt and pepper, butter too if you want. You cut up the potato in slices and place them in the bottom of a piece of foil. Then add whatever veggies you want (we use green beans, peas, and corn), add some chopped onion, salt and pepper, and butter. Then fold up the foil into a little packet and place in the campfire and let cook. When I make them in the oven it takes about an hour at 350 to 375.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We go camping almost every weekend of the summer. :-D We use our camper stove, road trip grill and fire to cook and can store items in our fridge. Do you have a camper or are you tenting? http://www.rv.net forums have some great recipes for camping.

I make salads ahead and chill them at home, so they are cold going into the cooler. We take hot dogs, kielbassi, chicken strips marinated in italian dressing and bbq sauce, and frozen burgers. Memorial Day Weekend we made Crockpot Fajitas. I put strips of steak, sliced onions and green peppers, a packet of fajita seasoning mix and water in the crock pot. I cooked it on low all day and served it with soft tortillas, cheese and sour cream. It was good. Baked Beans in the slow cooker are great too.

We take stuff for pizza mountain pies, apple mountain pies, and smores too. I take fruit along too. The kids love it chilled.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks everybody!!! I'm gonna check out 2 things... if we have electricity (fridge) or not.... and if so how much space is available...and if we have electricity the crockpot is a great idea!

Thought of bringing spaghetti sauce.... frozen .... so if we don't have a fridge we can cook it on the 2nd day. I'll keep looking for ideas...

What are pizza mountain pies? or apple mountain pies?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Mountain pies are made in a mountain pie iron like this:
http://www.pieiron.com/what.htm

We use square bread to make our sandwiches. I use spray margarine to grease the irons and coat the bread. Then we add pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese and pepperoni. We use apple pie filling to make dessert type pies.

Lisa

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Joasmom for the weblink.. will check it out!

Teachermomof2 I had seen those but never would of thought of using it the way you do for pizza. This is great!!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I'm glad you have a new idea. The kids love those! DH does too. ;-)

I don't do much camping but when I was staying at a hotel in Disney last year I made my banana bread and brought it with us. It freezes well and is great either cold or at room temp. And of course soooo delish. Any type of muffin is basically freezable to have as a snack anytime. Looks like you have many great site links to choose from on here...lol

Good luck and have fun!!!!

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
We camp a lot too. Over the years I've come up with a few standard foods we bring.

We often do smoked sausage and veggies (potatoes, onions, etc.) in foil packets in the fire. I also make taco meat ahead of time and reheat for tacos/salad. We usually have grilled chicken breasts, but I cut them in smaller pieces so they cook quicker over the fire. Lunches are usually sandwiches and breakfast is scrambled eggs, pancakes, and cereal.

In the fall I make a big pot of ham & bean soup or chili and reheat in a dutch oven over the fire. We will do oatmeal for breakfast.

If you have a dutch oven, there are lots of yummy dessert recipes too. My nephew (who we camp with a lot) is a pro at various cobblers made over the fire.