Canada is going to the polls on October 14

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Harper just announced an election for the day after Thanksgiving.

It's funny. Our election was only announced today and we will be finished voting before the Americans even go to the polls.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
I was thinking that would be close to your Thanksgiving date. Will people be home to vote then? Can you Americans imagine having any election on Black Friday?

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
nursemomtothree said:
I was thinking that would be close to your Thanksgiving date. Will people be home to vote then? Can you Americans imagine having any election on Black Friday?
I think it would be the lowest turnout ever lol.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Well at least if it's not too long it might cost less! (I hope!)

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
We just moved to a new province and have to live here 6 months before we can vote. GRRRR!!!

Melanie

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
happy2bme said:
We just moved to a new province and have to live here 6 months before we can vote. GRRRR!!!

Melanie

Where did you get that information? I'm no expert on this, but I think that is just to vote provincially.
I think you should be able to simply switch which electoral district you are voting in for a federal election.

I don't think they can deny any Canadian the right to vote. I just moved to a new province and will be attempting to change my electoral district tomorrow. My husband can still vote in his hometown as military members are granted that privilege.

If they tell me I can't vote in a country where I have lived and contributed my entire life, I will not take it sitting down.

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Trust the Government to get their nose in the mix somewhere. I will not let them ruin my holiday planning. I just got a call from one of the parties, I don't know which one because I didn't let them get going, jeeeez they are starting already. Can you tell I'm not a fan :frown: On with my printing for the countdown

EllaBlue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vancouver, B.C. (Canada)
I am not surprised that Harper announced the election, you could sort of see the move being telegraphed by the recent ads the Conservatives have been running during the last couple of weeks and the increase in number of pollsters that have been calling lately.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Maybe that is provincial. I better check on this.

Thanks,

Melanie

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SmilingSandra said:
Nopers! We are going to election for Prime Minister! It's crazy...I was on vacation in the US and came back to an election! I felt like I had been on another planet not knowing what was going on! But it is true!

The "provincial" comment was just in reference to whether or not someone who had moved from one province to another could still vote in an election.

It's funny how we have so much coverage of the American election campaigns in Canada, and yet I never saw any mention of Canada having an election on any of the American news stations.

:bigsnow:

nursemomtothree said:

The polls would have to open at 5 am :rotflol: and offer a great deal on a popular sales item to get people to show up....lol