Celebrate your name question 3

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Twinkle

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Do you know the origin of your last name? I am not sure of a good website to discover this so please add a link if you know of one.

Basket

Retire Member
Dec 25, 2007
Northern Germany
I know my one. My birthname is Hartung. That is an old latin form for January, the first month of the year. February was Hornung.

Dreamer

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Lawton, Oklahoma
My maiden name is Walker. Here's what I know about it:

Definition: Occupational surname for a fuller, or person who walked on damp raw cloth in order to thicken it. Derived from the Middle English "walkcere," meaning "a fuller of cloth," and derived from the Old English "wealcan," to walk or tread.

Surname Origin: English, Scottish

Alternate Surname Spellings: WALLKER, WALKER

Rackandrollgal

MHH Member
Dec 22, 2007
Great Smoky Mountains
My maiden name was Waddell. Here's what the site said:

Waddell
Scottish: variant of Weddle.
English: topographic name for someone who lived at the hill where woad grew, from Old English wad ‘woad’ + hyll ‘hill’, or a habitational name from a place so named, as for example Woodhill, Wiltshire.

My family heritage is Scottish and Cherokee Indian. My Dad's side of the family hails from Scottland and my Mother's family is Scottish/Cherokee.

Chinook Girl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Well looks like I'm mostly English, looked up both my mother and father's surnames.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
ChristmasMissy said:
Mine means 'the pasture ground of young cattle'.

Man, no wonder I feel like a cow sometimes! Moooooo! :rotflol:

You ladies are cracking me up. :rotflol:

emily_hope

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
For my maiden name~~~

Rainwater
Americanized form of the German family name Reinwasser, possibly a topographic name for someone who lived by a source of fresh water, from Middle High German reine ‘pure’ + wazzer ‘water’.

mine means:
English (especially Yorkshire) and Scottish: occupational name for a fuller, Middle English walkere, Old English wealcere, an agent derivative of wealcan ‘to walk, tread’. This was the regular term for the occupation during the Middle Ages in western and northern England. Compare Fuller and Tucker. As a Scottish surname it has also been used as a translation of Gaelic

strosiek

Retire Member
Oct 25, 2007
Cape Coral Florida
Trosiek-It is an americianized version of something much longer. Not many have this name and my parents still can't spell it let alone say it after 5 yrs of marriage and 6 of dating husband. I think my husband said it came from Czech or Slovakia. My madien name Kiser is German. I can't remember what it means but spelled Kaiser means Royalty.

Christysue

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Mine is German it is a regional name for someone who lived in an area in notheastern Germany.