CHANGE OF PLANS...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register
Last night a few of the parents that I am friendly with at my boys' school had their cars broken into last night. Their communities are across the road from my community. So my guess is the burglars will strike us soon or wait a little bit before striking again. I almost forgot that November to February is high on the burglary list (before and after the holiday season). One friend lost $1,000 worth of items stolen out of her car.

Which leads me to my change of plans....Tonight's jumpstart is cleaning out the car!!!! I still have my kitchen gadgets that I used at my grandfather's house for new year's in my car and some stashed toys for my son's birthday next week. So as the sun goes down here in Florida (almost 80 degrees today) I will be cleaning out my car!!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Stay safe, I hope the burglaries don't hit your neighborhood.

I feel bad because one of the ladies, she has been living alone with her stepsons because her husband's job moved him out of state and with the slow housing market she hasn't sold the house yet, anyway, they stole her $400 ipod, her stepsons NEW Nintendo DS (Christmas gift) and all the games plus a portable DVD player....basically about $1,000 worth of stuff!!! Not to mention feeling unsafe and by herself!!! I at least have my dad at home. When he is out at night I sometimes feel a little scared so I can't imagine how she is feeling!!!

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I would leave my outside lights on at night to try and deter them. Sometimes when it is so dark in an area they come there to be out of sight. When my dh is gone I always leave the front and back lights on. I'll pay a little extra $$ to feel safer if it works.

cipalla said:
I would leave my outside lights on at night to try and deter them. Sometimes when it is so dark in an area they come there to be out of sight. When my dh is gone I always leave the front and back lights on. I'll pay a little extra $$ to feel safer if it works.

My dad NEVER puts the front lights on, not even when we go out. He puts the front hall light on because he doesn't want the bugs getting in because the outside light will attract the bugs....this is a man who won't let us open the back sliding doors AND has taped the fireplace shut plus placed a couch against the fireplace so nothing gets in....I know a little OCD but that's my dad....lol

My neighbor across the street disgonally has a sensor light so I hope that works for us but we do have a corner property so they might use the side where it is darker. My car was fine this morning so I am hoping the burglars are hiding out for a little while before striking again, in the meantime the car has been emptied of important stuff.

:rotflol: My poor boys wanted to take their booster seats out so they don't get stolen....lol I told them the thieves aren't looking for car seats!!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
There were a lot of burglaries in our neighborhood. So, the neighborhood association set up a meeting with representatives of the police department to talk about the crimes.

The police officers said that criminals prefer to go after dark locations - where nobody will notice them. They suggested leaving both the front and back porch lights on all night, every night. With the new energy-efficient light bulbs, the extra cost of electricity isn't so bad. They also suggested trimming bushes so criminals wouldn't have handy hiding places.

Another great thing - in our area, the electric company will install a street light on any telephone pole. They only ask that three out of the four neighbors whose houses border the telephone pole want to have the streetlight. We requested street lights on all our telephone poles and that has helped a lot.

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Got a little giggle out of the boys not wanting their car seats taken. :jumpinghearts: how precious!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
christmascreations, maybe you should talk to your dad about putting in a motion sensor light. You can get them inexpensively at Home Depot or Lowes. If it's positioned away from the front door and toward the darker side of your house, maybe it'll draw less bugs indoors.
I hope your cars (and carseats!) stay safe!