Christmas 2007 Notebook Debriefing

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Okay....I know Christmas 2007 is over....but have you put the notebook to bed yet? Actually I use mine off and on all year but I like to spend some time in January...decluttering it and setting up new pages. But first let's debrief:

1. Which three sections in your notebook did you use the most?
2. Which section(s) did you use the least?
3. Are there ways to make your notebook more user friendly?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA

• Stocking Stuffer list section
    Gift List Section
    Party Planning Section

Actually the section i used the least was my decor section. I am not sure I ever really use it...I include my decorating ideas with the party theme stuff....I suppose it could hold my decor inventory...if I ever really get that set up as I want it...then I would be on :cloudnine:

Size has always been an issue with me. I have played around with all kinds of sizes...the 1 and a half inch works pretty well but I can't really carry it with me...so I keep a small spiral notebook in my purse for notes etc.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.

Houseworks Holiday Plan Section
Gift List section
Card List/Address Section

Mine too was the decor section. I use Rudolph days to plan it and then once I've referred to it to decorate I don't use it again till next year.

Again mine too about size. I have been using a 2" binder, I needed this size to fit everything in and have found it cumbersome to keep referring to. I've decided to split mt notebooks to make them more user friendly so I am doing a
'Holiday Recipe Notebook' and 'Craft and Decoration Ideas Notebook' and all my other sections will remain in my 'Christmas Notebook'. I copy files onto my PDA for carrying around with me.

I'm in the process of sorting this out, and re-writing my Houseworks Holiday Plan to make things more manageable, I and always use my Christmas Notebook on Rudy days so it will probably be ongoing throughout the year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Gift List/Ideas, Christmas Countdown, and Calendar section.

There are several sections I didn't touch like the HGP and HHP, decor section also.

I think this year i'll work on taking the sections out that I don't really need. I need to better organize the Magic Elf section or move it to its own notebook. I just need some time to work on it, probably on Ruddy days.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
The sections I used most were: Holiday Grand Plan, Gift and Stocking stuffer lists, Cards/Address section.

The section I used the least was the party planning section - I used it, but not until about 5 days before Christmas when I found out I was having Christmas dinner!

To make mine more user friendly, I've got to designate a binder just for Christmas. I just started using notebooks about 2 years ago and did them seasonally because I didn't have a lot of stuff to pput in them yet. Christmas has gotten to the point where I've got plenty for its own. I think that might be a Rudy Day project.

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
The sections I used most were: gift & stocking stuffer lists, and the decor section. I had to check back with last years decor plan and adapt it to my new home this year. I'm adding photos to that section to remember how the nutcrackers were lined up in the bookcase LOL!

The sections I didn't use too much were: the party planner. I didn't do a party this year. Friends and neighbors dropped in. My DH wants to have an open house next year and invite the neighborhood so we can meet more people. If so, I will be using this section more next year.

More user friendly: I need to get it out of storage much, much sooner-like October 1. I like the idea of a purse size one, but I usually just jot down shopping notes or whatever in a small notebook anyway.

"heartstrings:

snowowl

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
The part I used the most was master gift list, stocking stuffers and card section

Least used was anything to do with cooking, freezer, party, planning. I don't do cooking. :pink:

For this year I am going to trim my notebook down, lighter, less printer ink and not so many good idea's I just have to try and never get to

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

Recipes, the shopping list and my menu are my most used but I couldn't do without the Card list or my gift lists either.

I have a section called "The Plan" that I never really use because I look at the info online. It probably would come in handy if my computer was down for a period of time. Then I would be very glad I had it.

I've been working on mine for a few years so it's pretty user friendly. I keep it in the shelf right behind the area where I sit at my computer so it's avaiable when I need it, right at my finger tips. Some one probably could cook Christmas dinner using my book, I'll have to check to be sure I have all my recipes printed off and in their section. Some like my mushrooms I've never written down so I'd better do that too.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
1. Which three sections in your notebook did you use the most? I used the stocking stuffer section, gift ideas planner and the Christmas card sections the most.
2. Which section(s) did you use the least?I used the weekly tip lists the least. I tend to have a schedule that I use on my own, and had a calendar with my goals on it instead.
I think that adding tabs to each section would be helpful. I also used envelopes for my receipts that were too small. This year I'm going to use larger envelopes that I've laminated.

:bigsnow:

SmilingSandra

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Saskatoon, SK Canada
I used the Christmas Countdown Lists, the Card/Address Lists, Budgeting and Gift Idea's lists.

Definately the decor section. I don't keep a decor inventory, but have started an ornament journal. The meal planning part doesn't really get used as I always travel for Christmas and never have to host a big meal.

This year I used index tabs to mark the different sections. I could easily flip to the part I needed at a glance. I use a big 3 ring binder and jot notes to take along with me shopping. I don't feel the need to take the whole thing with me when I go out. I found cute xmas themed sticky notes and that's what I use to take along when I need to. I think I did pretty good in this area, but what works this year may not work next year!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Three Sections I used the most:
Receipt storage (I put an empty page protector in to hold all receipts), gift list, debriefings from past years

Three Sections I used the least:
Christmas Card list (it's on computer now), party planning, Freezer inventories

What can I do to improve my notebook?
Oh, I have way too many tabs. I need to simplify things. Plus, my pages are all in page protectors so tab dividers get lost in the notebook -- they don't stick out past the page protectors. I need to put stick-on divider tabs on my page protectors so that they stick out farther than the pages. I'll be working on this before January's Rudy Day.