christmas 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WooHoo, Can hardly wait.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mine too Housewife2. I like the planning, it makes me happy.

Reactions: Cathymac2

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
CathyMac, hopefully cooler weather coming your way soon.
Christmas for us is the Summer so just about to warm up for us.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Katrina, I thought of you while we were on our beach vacation during the week of 25 July. Boats were decorated in Christmas lights. There was a Santa sighting on the beach. It felt very different to think about celebrating Christmas in the hot weather when all I've know is Christmas in the cold weather.

It made me wonder if Christmas is a more relaxing time of year in Australia compared to the US. In the winter, we're running around buying gifts, wrapping and then getting to school Christmas concerts, etc. In the summer, we're so relaxed. School is out until September. Business dress codes tend to change in the summer. People take more time off so work weeks are shorter. Everyone seems to be in a good mood.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary,
I do believe that Christmas here is a little more relaxed but like you it is all I have known. School gets out on around the 21st of December for the long summer break and does go back until early February. Although there are end of year Christmas concerts here too. We do much the same as you, rushing here and there to buy gifts etc but dinners can be a bit more relaxed, cold meat and salads, barbeques etc.
Business dress codes here are a little more relaxed as well, and Christmas parties are definitely easier. This year for my work we are discussing a picnic down by the water at the big lake near our workplace and we will all bring something to share, the kids can play games and just have a great time.
I would say that people are in a better mood in Summer and of course the thought of Summer holidays will make anyone happier. Most work places shut between Christmas and New Year so that is nice.

As much as I love Christmas in Summer I would love just once to celebrate a white Christmas...to me it must be just like a Hallmark movie. (well not quite but a girl can dream)

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Mary,
I do believe that Christmas here is a little more relaxed but like you it is all I have known. School gets out on around the 21st of December for the long summer break and does go back until early February. Although there are end of year Christmas concerts here too. We do much the same as you, rushing here and there to buy gifts etc but dinners can be a bit more relaxed, cold meat and salads, barbeques etc.
Business dress codes here are a little more relaxed as well, and Christmas parties are definitely easier. This year for my work we are discussing a picnic down by the water at the big lake near our workplace and we will all bring something to share, the kids can play games and just have a great time.
I would say that people are in a better mood in Summer and of course the thought of Summer holidays will make anyone happier. Most work places shut between Christmas and New Year so that is nice.

As much as I love Christmas in Summer I would love just once to celebrate a white Christmas...to me it must be just like a Hallmark movie. (well not quite but a girl can dream)

We don’t have many white Christmases but we enjoy the ones we do.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Ya’ll!! Ya’ll! I just checked the Hobby Lobby sales for this week- Christmas decor, floral and trees are 40% off! Time to start purchasing the “just an item or two to fill in the holes” that I buy every year. 210 times. Lol!!! Happy browsing or shopping if you’re so inclined!

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
yes i went to hobby lobby today bought a christmas pilow for my bed its red and white it saids cookies on it with gingerbread characters on it. i really like it. as was said christmas is 40% off good deal.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary,

Thanks for sharing. Sometimes the grass looks greener on the other side until you talk to the person on the other side. Then you find out that both sides are probably just as green. LOL!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ya’ll!! Ya’ll! I just checked the Hobby Lobby sales for this week- Christmas decor, floral and trees are 40% off! Time to start purchasing the “just an item or two to fill in the holes” that I buy every year. 210 times. Lol!!! Happy browsing or shopping if you’re so inclined!

Oh, great... I'm heading over there today to "browse." :rolleyes: Maybe if I bring my kids, they'll keep me accountable. :D

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary, absolutely!!!
I so wish that we had Hobby Lobby here in Australia. Might pop on and have a look and see what inspiration I can find. I wonder if they ship internationally?;)

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I went to Hobby Lobby with my daughters and did not buy a single thing! I was tempted. They have put out some of their Christmas decor. They had some The Grinch Who Stole Christmas wall art which was hard to pass by. I did get some ideas from just browsing. I see another trip in the future.

Oh, I almost forgot! I received my first Christmas catalog in the mail today!. I don't recall getting one in August before. Last year I ordered my Christmas cards from them in early September. I guess they wanted to make sure that I remembered to order from them again. LOL!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Which catalog did you receive in the mail, Mary? I haven't seen a Christmas one yet other than Colorful Images which has a section for Christmas cards.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Which catalog did you receive in the mail, Mary? I haven't seen a Christmas one yet other than Colorful Images which has a section for Christmas cards.

The catalog was from The Printery House. That's the only one I've received so far.

Reactions: PamelaG

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Question about mailing packages. How do you send yours? I find mailing is costly. When I go to the post office with they always tell me I can send it priority or something like that it off it goes. Any hints as to how you manage it? Are there different class (i.e. first, second or third) Can you mail anything library rate or only books? Anyone have the skinny on this?