christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
For lovers of Hallmark Christmas movies...wait, that's all of us, right? :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was at our big supermarket today and I saw the first signs of Christmas sneaking in. They had boxes of chocolates and tins of wafers that are traditionally for Christmas appearing on the shelves.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I think sometime in August the dates are usually posted in a separate thread.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The wrapping party dates will be posted on August Rudy Day, not long now!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
The wrapping party dates will be posted on August Rudy Day, not long now!
Can't wait for Target or Hallmark to put out their Christmas wrapping paper so I can get started on wrapping. There's quite a stash of boxes in the guest room.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Looking forward to the wrapping dates. They are so helpful not just to me but even my husband appreciates them lol. Anxious to get them in my planner!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
72 days till christmas im putting up my christmas decorations on nov 1st when i take halloween over. after this year i need something to look fwd too.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I asked DH when I could put up Christmas and he said whenever I am ready. I was surprised. Will start maybe the second week in November that way I can take my time and do what my head has planned out.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Can't wait for Target or Hallmark to put out their Christmas wrapping paper so I can get started on wrapping. There's quite a stash of boxes in the guest room.

Looked at Target Saturday. No paper out yet. Has anyone looked at Walmart, DG, or DT? Target and Walmart have some online, but I'm wondering if it's left from last year.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Looked at Target Saturday. No paper out yet. Has anyone looked at Walmart, DG, or DT? Target and Walmart have some online, but I'm wondering if it's left from last year.
Small touches at my local Target - about nine designs of gift bags in the gift wrap section, Elf and Captain Crunch cereals in grocery, and a small selection of Christmas cards. There is a huge empty corner in the back of the store so it won't be long..

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Pamela, the seasonal area was still covered in Halloween in Monroe. :(

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The only places with Christmas stuff so far are Dollar Trees!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
This was just a topic of discussion on our local news radio station today (was listening while on the road to Michigan). Illinois has restricted travel to a majority of our border states, and they just added Indiana today, meaning travel is now restricted to ALL neighboring states. The commentator and her guest were talking about traveling to see family in Michigan and what that would look like. So, I appreciated their discussion (and this) -- especially since that's where my Mom and siblings live. The radio program discussed the need to have a frank talk with family members well ahead of time, to make sure that all agree to self-quarantine, or take appropriate precaution if they have to work outside the home, prior to the holiday. This is especially important with college kids who will need to forego the parties / bar scene that they may be used to. They also suggested that family members consider taking a rapid response Covid test, if they are available. And, also consider travel implications and precautions, should you need to overnight in a hotel.

My thoughts on the questions posed by Mary (Holiday Mom), below.

If we have a pandemic Christmas, then what do I want to do make it feel like Christmas?
I want my Christmas to be as normal as it can be. If I can, I'll travel to Michigan to see family; if not, perhaps they (some of them?) can come to me. It's typically less than 2 hours from my home to my Mom's, so the only stop in Indiana might be for gas (significantly less there), and I'd pay at the pump, wear my mask and hand sanitize after. I DO want to see my family, if I can. At the very least, my DD and SIL will be here on Christmas Day (or I will be there). And, I will include Midnight Mass or other church service, most likely remotely, to allow more space for the school families to attend any children's services or performances. Christmas Eve will be different this year, but not due to the pandemic. I usually spend Christmas Eve at a friend's house. Because their daughter is getting married the following weekend, they are not hosting this year. Still trying to determine how Christmas Eve will be spent.​

What foods do I want to eat at Christmas?
I see the same foods this year as what I usually make (if I'm cooking) or that I bring (if going to my sister's house). The only difference might be in size / quantity. For Thanksgiving, instead of a whole turkey, I might just do a turkey breast and single batches of the casseroles, rather than the 3x I usually make if joining the entire family. I've been able to stock up on pantry items I'd need and have home canned cranberry sauce left from last year (if cranberries are scarce; haven't heard that there is any shortage). There's been pumpkin on sale in the grocery stores, and I'm thinking of getting a couple of pie pumpkins and making my own ... just in case. Christmas will be similar to previous years, and I'll stock up on goods at the same time as I stock up for Thanksgiving.​

What special drinks do I want to have at Christmas?
Spiced cider may be good on a chilly night, and I've got apple juice on my grocery list; there's plenty of wine in the closet, Baileys and Jameson's is on hand ... I'll pick up a Christmas flavored coffee, when they reach the shelves at Aldi, Trader Joe's, or World Market. And, I DO have the fixings to make hot chocolate with marshmallows.​

If Christmas activities are cancelled, then what can I do at home to make Christmas special?
I'm a big fan of Hallmark Channel movies. One of our radio stations plays non-stop Christmas music starting around Thanksgiving -- just need to remember what channel it is. I'll keep an eye on our local Next Door page and other local news pages for a map for holiday lights and make a date to drive around to see them. And, I'll make sure my place looks splendid from the outside, for those who walk or drive past my place (a townhome, with perennials, not shrubs, so outdoor lights will be nonexistent; at least I can make sure my tree is lit each evening and my porch light is on and the outdoor decor is appealing; I have a nice wreath and several candle-lit lanterns, along with a pot of greenery).​

Who will be receiving gifts this year?
The usual ... my Mom, DD, and SIL; late husband's brother and his SO will get a box of homemade goodies and maybe a gift card; others who come for Christmas dinner or other get-together (good friends in my "bubble" who may stop in or friends of DD & SIL with no place to celebrate (and in their "bubble") will get homemade goodies / small gifts I've added to my gift closet over the years.​

What gifts will I be giving?
My mom is spending the winter months North for the first time in more than 25 years (she typically winters in south TX, where the pandemic is still not under control), so she'll get something to help her stay warm, as well as an assortment of goodies, baked and canned. DD and SIL ... still a work in progress. Others will get an assortment of homemade cookies, breads, canned jams, etc., with the quantity / selection based on the relationship we have.​
I'm thankful my family is fairly close distance-wise, and that we should be able to gather together this year, if not all together at one time, perhaps in small groups. I'm also blessed to have friends nearby who have held me up in the recent years, when I needed support. And I'm honored that my BIL and his SO have chosen to stay close, following my husband's passing. There were a few years that went by that I wasn't so sure of that, but we've made great strides over the last 18 months. A friend's daughter is supposed to get married in Michigan on Jan. 2. She's still waiting on final requirements for reception size. If she can do 50, I'll be in attendance; if not, I'll keep them in my thoughts and will celebrate with them at a later date.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Has anyone looked at Walmart, DG, or DT?

I was in Target the other day and it was filled with Halloween stuff. I hadn't seen any Christmas items out. I don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby but they usually have some Christmas decor out at the end of August. I was there a few weeks back and hadn't noticed any wrapping paper yet. I didn't see any at Dollar Tree when I went last week. I'll keep an eye out and let you know when I

(if cranberries are scarce; haven't heard that there is any shortage).
I was just at the grocery store and noticed that they are starting to bring in fresh cranberries. It's starting to feel like the holidays are really going to happen now.

I sent those questions to my dc in July for Christmas and then I adjusted the questions for autumn. We've been working of the list for autumn and it is helping us all cope with changes. I'll have to start shopping for Christmas next.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I don't know if you have a Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby is in West Monroe, about 56 miles from us. Monroe and West Monroe are called the Twin Cities here. They're across the river from one another. Monroe and West Monroe are where we do most of our major shopping. I haven't seen any at HL, either, but haven't been in a month or so.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
The Walmart by my house and near my job have been setting up Christmas tress and filling aisles with Christmas goodies for the past 3 weeks. Was in Target the other day and they had about 2 aisles of Christmas lights out. Lowes and Home Depot have had Christmas decorations out for a couple weeks now.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The local Michael's has Christmas out and at TJMaxx there is some Christmas paper and decor.

It's beginning to look a lot like.....