Christmas cake glacé/candied fruit

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Good morning all, where do people buy their candied cherries, fruit etc. for English Christmas cake? I did a quick search on the Internet and saw some on Amazon, the ones at Walmart were outrageous in price. If at all possible I would like to purchase from a smaller company in order to give them business. But any idea would be helpful. Thanks~ Laurie

Reactions: HouseElf

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Laurie, I get mine at Walmart, and, yes...the prices are outrageous! Knowing that, it's one of the expenses I anticipate and try to plan ahead for. o_O I'll follow to see if anyone gives us a better idea of where to get them for less!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I usually get mine in the produce section of my grocery store -- at least the red and green cherries. Pre-Covid, I could get the dried pineapple pieces and dried apricots in their bulk bins, but those have disappeared from my store over the past year. One of our big-box lumber/hardware has always carried a good selection of bagged nuts, candies, and dried fruit (but not he cherries) around the holidays, but not sure if they will this year, or not. The chain changed hands in early 2021. Maybe try some of the bulk nut outlets, like Superior Nut & Candy or the like????

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
OK so in looking further online I found this site the prices don’t seem to be too bad. Has anybody ever ordered from here?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Dried fruit here is a must have for Christmas pudding and cakes. We just have to pay the price that they want and make sure that we include it in the budget. I found some bags of dried fruit last week on clearance for $2.97 down from $9.57 so got 1 kilo for me and one for Mum.