Christmas Debriefing 2007

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Time to jot down those Christmas thoughts....what worked....what didn't ...what you want to change....what you want to remember to do again....

1. Wrap ahead of time A LOT more...this is always a problem!!!

2. Buy gift cards a bit earlier

3. Decide on menus and baking plans WAY earlier....this might be a Christmas in July project this year.

4. Have elf ideas and gifts laid out EARLY

5. Liked cutting down on the baking....we still have tons of cookies left

6. Crafted gifts went over well.......do more

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Let's see:

*Get more done on Rudolph Days

*Cut down on baking, and bake a little earlier

*Make candy a little earlier

*Cut back on spending....OMG I took all my receipts and put them on a spreadsheet last night......I was at twice my Christmas Club amount and it didn't include stocking stuffers and 24 days gifts!!

*Budget an actual amount per person (I already have envelopes made) and only use the alloted money, instead of taking all the money and just pulling from it. (make sense? lol)

*Plan freezer meals (never did this before)

*Make more crafted gifts (didn't make any this year)

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
My list would include:
:grin: use Rudy Day to get cards addressed
:grin: try to take kids' picture for cards earlier - look for opportuinites throughout year
:grin: bake earlier and freeze - I've never tried this and this year I ran out of time to do all I wanted
:grin: start wrapping much earlier - DS2 will be in preschool next fall, so this should be easier than it was this year
:grin: we got started on our "adopted" family much earlier this year - do this again! - arrange by the 1st week or so of November
:grin: this year we bought a family gift (wii) and just 1 or 2 gifts from Santa for kids - like this idea - try again next year - be thinking of a gift the whole family would enjoy

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We had Christmas Eve dinner at my Aunt and Uncle's house and then Christmas Day Lunch at my mom's, so there was no cooking for me or party planning.

Let's see:

* Cutting down on baking worked well, still had cookies left though.

* Plan and purchase elf items way ahead of time (this will be a Rudolph Day project for several months)

* I want to do more homemade gifts next year.

* I would like to start doing a family gift that we can all benefit from.

* Wrapping and purchasing of gifts went excellent, was all done way ahead of time.

* Christmas cards were addressed, written out, stamped and mailed by December 1st! WTG ME! LOL

* In 2008 I plan on paying special attention all year long to what people say they would like, especially my DS5.

* This year we started a new tradition by receiving PJ's to open on Christmas Eve from Mrs. Claus, I would like to continue this tradition.

* I'm seriously considering buying the kids gifts along the lines of something they want, something they need, something fun and something to read. We'll see though, my DH doesn't quite agree.

That's all I can think of for now.

I am so altering my MENU!!! And I am not going all out next year. This year was even worse than last year. My Aunt Wendy and I spent the weekend baking the italian cheesepies and the venetians and planning and delegating for Christmas. Well last minute my uncle decided he didn't want to bake the fruit pies so we were less the desserts we thought we were going to have. To top it off my Aunt was running a little late and I was at church doing the final cleaning of the day. I get back and my uncle (the one who bailed on the pies) and his family decided to start eating the food without us!!

NO I AM NOT KIDDING YOU!!!!

So next year they are being told an hour later than everyone else!! I can't believe how RUDE they were. Then to top it all off I spend the whole year giving them outgrown clothes for my cousins' twins (since I have twins also and my aunt and uncle are basically raising their grandkids) and I bought them a gift card for dinner even though my money is REAL TIGHT and they didn't buy one gift for my kids. I don't mind not getting one for me, but seriously they could have given my boys a gift!! I never burden my family members with my kids' birthdays because they are all so close to Christmas and I saved them alot of money on clothes and such they could have given my boys a little something, even if it is just five dollars!!! We didn't even get a card!! My brother's girlfriend even gave EVERYONE a card and she was there without my brother.

Okay now that I let that out I feel a little better. The only explanation my dad gave me is there are givers and takers in this world and they are just takers. Well that must stink to just be a taker especially with your own family!!! My Aunt told them they could have "made" something like my other aunt makes everyone cookies in a tin each year!! I thought last year was just a "bad year" thing for them but apparently it is just the way they are!!!

momof2boys

MHH Member
Nov 18, 2007
Overall I thought this was a good Christmas.
1. I liked the presents that I bought the family. Do like the idea of a family gift from Santa.

2. We also do PJ'S on christmas eve- DS7 always look for something other than pj's so maybe next year I will add in a small gift just to spice it up.

3. DH and I have talked about adopting a family or taking the boys shopping and having them pick out one gift and have them donate it to Toys for Tots- want them to learn it isn't all about presents for themselves.

4. I cheated and did the break and bake cookies this year-but it worked out so well- everyone enjoyed the variety and it saved me my sanity,

5. Would like to organize a get together with close friends- maybe just for the girls. We do the majority of the shopping so why don't we take some time just for us??? I am thinking of spa pedicures sipping hot coccoa????

I think that it all that I am going to try and add oh except for the fact that I might try and do a little more shopping on the internet to give me more time for family fun things. Now I need to write what I just typed so I don't lose track of this. lol..

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
For the most part things went well for us, but there is always room for improvement!!

I need to stop baking so much!! Honestly, my freezer is bursting at the seams!! I also need to get baking started in November. I HAVE to wrap gifts as I buy them. These marathon wrapping sessions are going to be the death of me!! I also need to make sure I get the kids pictures done in September.

The kids Christmas Eve present to open was PJs and they loved it, so I will do this again next year. A game for the family will be under the tree as well, I have done this for the last couple of years and we all enjoy getting a new game.

All in all, not a bad year.

:snowman: Melanie

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Christmas went really well this year. These are the few things I want to do differently for next year.

::eek:rnament: Wrap the gifts when I bring them home instead of waiting to do a couple of big wrapping sessions.

::eek:rnament: Set the deadline for mailing Christmas gifts the same time as the cards.

::eek:rnament: Handmade gifts. Decide early (by summer maybe) what I want to give so I have time to make them.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Love this thread!
1. Make as many gifts as possible.
2. Concentrate on pretty and reusable wrappings.
3. try and finalize master gift list waaaay early.
4.organize freezer cooking and baking much better(i tend to put it off)
5.Do a secret fun Christmas idea-secret santa or sneaky santa or something
6.Do a family Christmas Pageant(Church service just doesn't work)
7. Try to do a newsletter poem this year
8.I like the idea of a beach and santa hat Christmas card picture this year(got the idea from one of you guys)
9. Have outdoor decoration plan so it can be done in November and lit Dec.1st
10. Organize babysitting waaaay early-so I can get out to at least ONE get-together!

I think that's it but I may get more ideas from you all!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Reading all your lists is VERY helpful to me!

What To Do Again
*Saving money every Rudy Day for gifts
*Photo cards from Walmart were a good deal!
*Starting my shopping early was GREAT
*Early church service, crockpot food, going to the movies, opening PJ's and buying caffeine free hot cocoa for Christmas Eve!
*Rudy Day was a life saver!!
*Reviewing debriefing notes from past years
*ALWAYS brine my turkey -- so good!
*Ask each family member what their favorite Christmas treat is and make those. Don't worry about the rest.
*Planning 12 Days of Christmas surprises all year.
*Plan girlfriend luncheon the week after Christmas every year!
*Work on Operation Christmas Child boxes every Rudy Day!

What to Do Differently:
*Send my cards out much earlier in 08!
*Invite guests myself instead of relying on family to tell family, etc.
*Wrap presents as I go
*Make more of my gifts
*DON'T stop exercising during the holidays because I'm 'so busy'!
*Make sure I do an Advent celebration

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
Didn't do too bad, but there is always room for improvement.

GOOD
-shop all year for gifts to get great deals.
-wrapped family/friends gifts way early.
-surprised someone with an Advent ;)
-sent most of xmas cards out on time.
-took a trip to NY with the kids.
-sleep pants for the boys on christmas eve

NEED TO IMPROVE
-fill kids Advent calendars earlier
-make my cards this year
-decorate inside and outside earlier
-send out of town gifts earlier
-bake earlier
-get kids into the charity aspect of xmas

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Most things went great this year. Youngest dd hasn't even said anything about not recieving the gift that she wanted most. She wanted that Squackers the parrot. I could see spending the money on something that would be used for a day then put aside.

A few of things that need to be changed this year:
1. come out and tell my brothers that I want g/c to Joanne's and AC Moore. Not just hint. Although the 4 of them did great with my gift but the way they presented it I could have shot each and everyone of them.

2. Either get with my brothers to find out how much of a mall g/c they are getting oldest dd or not buy mine for her until they have all called and told me how much they have gotten. $600 in mall g/c was a little too much when she also recieved other clothes and stuff from her fav. stores.

3. Give my stepdad his own container of oreo balls. Even though I made my brothers their own they still ate the ones I brought for my mom and dad. They each got one out of the 30 I took over and that was before three of my brothers walked in the door and seen them.

4. Tell my SIL's what I am making for the kids so I know if they want too so that they quit trying to take the kids presents. They both told me to start making double of what I do so that they can take what they want.

5. Ask my stepsister if her boys would like something before I get thier gifts. Instead of taking my moms word on it. I was going to make them both fleece blankets this year but my mom said not to waste my time because sister said that they would be too hot for the boys. Then she told me that they would have loved them. Plus they were upset that I didn't make them anything, like I did my other niece and nefew and their mom.

Things to continue
1. Make all extended family gifts including my two nefhews. These go over the best with all.

2. Continue the fleece blanket making with all kids that my mom did this year and having the kids pass out at the nursing home. Even my 4yr old nefhew thought it was neat and had a huge smile on his face when we walked out.

3. Continue to make my kids things too. They get so excited when they open something that I made for them.

New ideas want to try:
1. FIND ELVES even if I have to order them on internet

2. Have a couple of things for the kids to open at home on Christmas Eve morning. Probley just an out fit and something small. My brother and SIL did this with their dd this year so that she would have a new outfit and necklace to wear to grandmas Christmas eve and I like that idea.

3. Grab my kids, neice and nefhews one day so that they can make gifts for family members. My kids always do this anyways but my niece and nefhews want me todo it with them too. So this is going to be the year todo it. We can also make cookies and have hot cocoa. My mom and I talked about this and are going to pick up clearance craft kits and supplies thru out the year.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
:happynewyear: What worked well.
Having all gifts wrapped and bagged before I got to my sisters. My greatest compliment from my sister was, "I can't believe how organized you are" Thanks OC and MHH. :grin:
also cutting down on baked items.
Having Christmas Eve day to myself to finish up and to take time for lunch with a friend.
Having Christmas Eve to myself. I was getting ready to fly out Christmas morning, but really enjoyed having my time Christmas Eve to go to to church service and just to tie up loose ends. I know it sounds strange to enjoy being by yourself on Christmas Eve, but it was a chance for me to clelbrate Christmas my way and to shift thoughts to family celebration.
BTW my flights were perfect Christmas Morning
met a friend unexpectedly at the airport and we both had a lay over in Chicago had coffee with her at Starbucks what a neat way to start the day :pink:

What I would do differently, cut down on my decorating. Too much in a small space.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Wasn't to bad this year.

Really need to do more home made presents. My daughter, younger sister and I did some and they were WELL received. And people said they really liked the thought that went into them. My daughter did the rice bags and picked material that she thought went with the people,

The baking need more of some things and less of others. We give out several trays.

NEED TO SAVE WEEKLY SO NOT ALL MONEY OUT AT ONCE.
Like so many people you save and something comes up (car repairs, etc.) and into you go. Want to start a savings or Christmas Club at a bank that I don't go to and then just drop deposits and with the XC they will mail a check.

My cards I did good and personally wrote notes in several. Sent out a recipe in each. I try to do a saying or something in cards. They go out on December 7th.

Thank goodness my daughter wrapped and had items done as we got them.

But, I need to clean earlier. Was at ER with my great aunt the Sunday night before Christmas Eve and that took a few hours, with working the 24th --- had a mess but people came at 6:30 so got stuff done with the familys help.

Need to really scope out peoples wants again. I did okay this year. I would hear something and write it down.

BUT WITH YOU GUYS THIS YEAR, IT WILL BE BETTER IN 2008! :grouphug: