Christmas Decor Take Down...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So what is everyone planning for de-decorating this year? All at once? In stages?

What are your best tips and tricks for packing, organizing decor items so putting them back up next year is easier?

Are you buying anything at the after Christmas sales?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I started taking stuff down yesterday - pretty early for me. I will leave the main tree in the living room, garland, lights & village until New Year's Day. The outside decorations will have to wait until it warms up.

I have 5 big totes to put stuff in. One is for the tree decorations, one is for the village pieces, one is for lights and garland, one is for things that are in boxes and the last one is all the little odds and ends.

I have the boxes numbers 1-5 and a list on my computer as to what items are in each numbered box, so if I need to find something I know which box to get out.

I did well at the after Christmas sales. I bought an 18 inch pre-lit tree in a cute little pot that is going to sit on my desk all year long. I bought a new wrapping supplies storage container - my old one was pretty busted up. I bought lots of wrapping paper, tissue paper, gift boxes and card making supplies.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I take it slow when I de-decorate. That's when I clean stuff if needed, toss if I like and find better ways of storing my large inventory. For me, I enjoy them just as much taking them down, as I do putting them up. I think about what I may want to ad, where I might switch things up, what I might want to simplify and dream of what I might want to do next year. I won't start till at least Sunday. My daughter leaves back to college on Saturday and all my time will be focused on her till then. I've been sick since Christmas and as usual, work has kept me away, so I've lost a tad bit of time with her over the last few days.

It will take me a good few weeks to get stuff up if I take my time and do a little each day after work and such.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
My plan is to do it Saturday when we are all home. Then I will have lots of help. I usually rip down room by room, then do the tree last. Then I will clean and redecorate.

I like to take my time.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Our will come down on Friday- maybe Saturday. I have plastic storage boxes that live in the shed for everything. Items that are worn or tired get officially retired then. I can generally de-Christmas in a single session.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
mine will be up till next weeknd. tree and snowman will be out awhile. I will decorate the tree for valentines.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will be doing mine today. I am back to work next week and like the house "back to normal" before I go back.
I will do everything today as I do not go crazy with the decorating. DH is home so he will help.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I un-derocated the tree today. Some of my greenery will stay out as will my angels. I didn't decorate much this year because most weekends that I would have decorated were spent with DD22 at her house.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I started putting things away in the kitchen...cookie plates, the hot cocoa bar, and such. I am not expecting any more visitors. I will also leave out snowmen and snowflakes for January. I am itching to take down the rest, but will wait until Saturday to take down most of it.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
I usually start with the tree, since that seems to be the easiest for me-I still have alot of the hallmark original boxes and everything tree related goes in 2 big totes..the rest keeps me busy packing up for a couple of days, I usually try to purge a little because I get new stuff, and I only have a half a closet and a few other small places to store everything..I go have to work this week-end so I will try to get most of it down tomorrow and Friday...

one REALLY good tip-which I am pretty sure I learned from this site-is I have a small tote that I keep in front of the stored decorations for those things I either miss packing up, or Christmas stuff I pick up through the year..I also keep the Hallmark countdown ornament in there because I can start it on October 1st and I don't have to dig it out.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I started taking down my decorations a couple days ago. My goal is to have everything down and packed away by Friday. I usually start with taking down items hanging on the walls and doors like wreaths and plaques. Then I grab the knick-knacks like snowmen and santas and put them all in one spot til I'm ready to place them in the totes. Same with Christmas stockings, tree skirts, etc. I keep all of my holiday linen on the top shelf of the linen closet. The trees are usually the last to come down.

At one time I had about 13 totes full of Christmas decorations. Then a few years ago, I participated in a project here and was able to downsize from 13 to just 4 totes. One really large tote which holds my trees, wreaths, garlands and whatever greenery I have. Then I have two large totes, one holds all the knick-knacks and the other holds ornaments and tree skirts. Then I have a medium tote for my lights, spare bulbs, plug strips and extension cords.

I have been pretty good at keeping the number of totes to a minimum. And whenever I bring in something new, something old that I no longer use or want goes out.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
as I take off shelf, I wrap & put in tote. I may get 4 or 5 totes on back deck then out to shed they go.... I have totes left dowstairs, not counting my big tree down stairs, which goes in box in bsement. but I try to take my time & pack well, as I know it has to b in tote a long time. room by room, marked on tote & put away 8 totes already.....
will finish up this weekend as dd has to work

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
My ocd is kicking in as I am doing a total inventory of everything Christmas related.

I put all dishes on the table, photographed them, wrote everything down in a cheery red notebook that I started beginning of December and then got sick and didn't use again.

Then I've done all the serveware, mugs, garlands, candles, greenery; decor/tchotchkes of trees, snowmen, santa, etc. I'm on wreaths now, which I plan to redo/refresh them so they were put in a box that will stay here so I can work on them. Then I'll move on to the tree and actual ornaments and the village. Don't forget dish towels, potholders, and Christmassy kitchen utensils.

I'll do like Jane and inventory and photo all wrapping supplies too, which I usually do each year anyway.

I will print out all the photos and put with the inventory lists in a nicer notebook. What I'm hoping to accomplish is being able to shop in the early beginnings of the season and know what I have and what will complement or add to it.

I've noticed I have lots of different trees and poinsettias. I'm guessing those are my favorite types of decor, along with a ton of different colored ball ornaments of all shades.

Anyway, I am having fun as I do this, instead of just shoving stuff into a box or tote. I get to inspect and make sure everything is in good shape and think about next year's decor.

And, it is 80 degrees as I do this, and I'm in shorts and bare feet with the windows open. So I'm feeling good to be getting back to my beach decor!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just finished un-decorating the house. I have to admit that I didn't reorganize. I am tired and just want it done. Lol. The tree remains. I will tackle that next.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Just finished downstairs. Everything is taken down & put in its right tote marked & zip tied. Spent an hour or so. Now to redecorate & make it look like someone lives here. Lol its sooo bare with everything put away & no lights. Need to spruce it up... Happy saturday...

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I didn't make very good progress today, but some. I'm "staging" it in a spare bedroom where I will then gather all the storage boxes and carefully box it up. Some of the garland will require DH's help to take down and box up. I imagine we'll make pretty good progress tomorrow, since there's no football we are interested in watching, and not much else to distract us.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
We did it all - ALL - yesterday!

Well, apart from not taking off DDs sheets to wash, and missing 2 small towels with those.

We came in from our first ever skiing lesson, grabbed the empty boxes I had in the storage unit en route home, and had lunch. As I grabbed the main boxes in the attic, I took down the window clings and wall decorations in DDs room. Then we all tackled the tree so it was reasonably quick, and I put it all away. I have 2 dedicated boxes to hold decorations in little slots, so all e baubles and most of the individual decorations go in there, especially anything delicate that doesn't have its own box. There are a few heirloom ones in their own boxes, and those go with the tinsel and nutcrackers in a large plastic tub (the cardboard box is retired from this season). Then I have a second plastic tub for the stand, all the lights and snow globes, and the box for Christmas Eve hamper is in there too including our copy of "Twas the night before Christmas".

I have 3 more tubs, one for all my crockery (a good mixed handful of mugs, 2 plastic cups that DD still uses, and a dinner and side plastic plate too for her, a beautiful glass plate for serving cookies etc, a 3-bowl dip tray, a tiny cream jug covered in holly, and the remains of my seasonal paper cups, bowls, napkins and a table cloth). I also have 3 sets for serving nibbles at parties that we didn't need this year. The second ha my towels (mostly hand towels for the kitchen, and 2 tea towels, but 1 guest set, 1 hand towel large enough for guest WC, and a poinsettia set of doilies for the guest bedroom locker). The other is the one I put the Dec 1st things into. So DDs fleece blanket, advent calendar, all the books, DVDs, CDs etc, and her plastic mug.

I have a smaller tub that I put all the bits for flower arranging and wreath making, in the hopes I will have time for creativity. But all easy to get out again and kept together.

I want to move 2 nice mugs for us to the Dec 1 box, and need to put DDs seasonal sheets in there too if they'll fit.

While I continued filling tubs, DH brought DD to recycle the tree and wreath. And later, we moved all the boxes to the storage unit yesterday evening, and the idea is that I can grab the things I need early in 1 swoop, and can easily get the rest of christmas in another trip when we are ready for it. Ran to the supermarket to restock the sadly depleted cupboards, and had pur last Christmas meal - Stilton and ham potato gratin. It is one that we do once every Christmas to use up (or buy in fresh to make) Stilton, ham, thyme and Turkey stock, so it is quite special for dh and I.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DONE!!!

Still needs to be put in the attic though but it's off the main floor. Nice to see things back to normal but will miss the lights at night.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Add me to the DONE list! Completely and put away. Hooray!

Lucie...I miss the lights too, so I put automatic pillars anywhere I could think of....on the coffee table, the dr table, the mantel, near the tub in the main bath and above our bed. It's a nice glow at night.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lisa, the lighting sounds nice.
Everything is put away here and then I noticed a decorative plate, it will be put in a cupboard until next year.