Christmas Eve basket

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Me again, hoping to get more Christmassy ideas. Do/did anyone do a Christmas Eve box or hamper? And if so, what did you put in yours?

We've had a XEH since the kids were toddlers, most stuff in it is for the kids, but there is stuff to do as a family also.

The kids usually get pjs, hot choc, socks, we've also done consumable treats, a book, dvd, board game, bath stuff (not all at once!) etc. Just after a bit more variety. Not massive, expensive stuff, anything quirky, random, just a bit different. I feel that Christmas this year will have a bit of an 'anything goes' vibe!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've never done a Christmas Eve box at our house because we've usually had some sort of family celebration at our house or someone else's house on Christmas Eve. We used to ride around and look at Christmas lights and displays on Christmas Eve with our kids.

Our children are grown now, but it would be interesting to have something for DH and myself...something fun to do like a game or puzzle, some special treats or something. Maybe it's time to start a new tradition!

We didn't do this on Christmas Eve, but in Monroe, they have a big fireworks display on the River the first Saturday in December. People go and put blankets on the levee around the river to watch. That was something we did every year that we could.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I've made them for my college-age daughter. Two were mailed when she was away from us, the rest she opened with us. Christmas pajamas have been a Christmas Eve tradition so they are always a separate gift. The XEH had a DVD, new mug, cocoa K-cups, gourmet marshmallows, and some treats.

This year, I'm making them for all of us. We're moving away from DVDs to movies in our Amazon library. Each XEH will be in a popcorn box tub (like the one you get at the cinema) and it will contain an Amazon gift card, microwave popcorn with gourmet seasoning shakers, movie candy, and a soft drink.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We do a Christmas eve basket here and have done every year since we had kids.
When the kids were little,
pjs, a new tooth brush, a book, a DVD, a small Christmas game, a new Christmas mug, treats, Christmas hair clip, new Christmas tee shirt for Christmas day, a small jigsaw puzzle, Christmas CD, sox or slippers, bubble bath, magic facecloth, milk mix, candy canes, Christmas boxer shorts, colouring book and pencils.

Now the kids are adults and we still do a Christmas Eve basket. A bit different now.
Small fun size bottles of Coke (in glass bottles), straws, iced tea, popcorn in a box, fun size treats, fairy floss, savory crackers, chips, mixed lollies, hot choc and marshmellows, anything that I think that the kids will like but essentially a big basket full of treats. We watch either a DVD or a show that is on Netflix. Last year we watched a few episodes of The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. A nice night to share.

Last edited:

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
I also did a Christmas Eve package while my kids were young. When they all moved away, I thought it would end but the year I stopped, :oops: they let me know it was a tradition and looked forward to opening it. Call me lazy but last year I bought big Christmas boxes at JoAnn's to reuse each year and packed them with the normal Christmas Eve gifts, they were ok with it because I did wrap the gifts inside with tissue paper, ha

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Missjane - yeah, go for it! I usually put something in for dh and I, and some of the games we've had are all ages friendly. Last year I put Exploding Kittens in. The fireworks sounds lovely. Nice way to kick off the festive season.

PamelaG - that's a really good idea, I've never done a themed one before. I've looked at reusable popcorn tubs previously and thought that they're cute. I was going to do Santa Popcorn on Xmas eve, so maybe I could put popcorn in the hamper...

Sweetpumkinpye - your hampers sound similar to the ones I did for my kids. Lots of stuff to keep them busy during the day, and then incentives to get the bathed and into bed lol. The basket you do now sounds good too.

Geewibble - haha! That's the thing with traditions, if you do a good job the first few times expect to be in it for the long haul! The kids used to have hessian sacks that were used every year until they literally started falling apart from wear and tear. Last couple of years, I did a joint box instead of individual, and just used a (decorated) cardboard box. Ive seen ready made boxes in shops before and some of them are lovely.

Every year I do a treasure hunt type thing to try and make it last longer. One year i left a gift with each clue, others I sent them all over the house before getting the box which was under the tree the whole time :p
Like everyone, we've almost become hermits this year, and the chance of staying in on Christmas Eve is high, so trying to think of ways to make it more special.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
We just do pajamas from Santa. We put them outside the front door. Then once the kids were in their pjs, we would go outside and sprinkle reindeer feed on the lawn. I've been doing it since H was a baby....20 years. They still get the pajamas, even though they are teens and adults. They both look forward to it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Revisiting this......making plans for Christmas this year. Want to mix things up a little.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I bought most of the things for last year's baskets/tubs but didn't end up putting them together. I bought large plastic popcorn tubs at Dollar Tree, great size for just $1. My plan was to fill them with a couple of Cokes, movie candy, microwave popcorn, and Amazon gift cards for everyone to use to buy or rent movies from Prime. When Vic wasn't able to come home, I drank the Coke, ate the candy, and put everything else back in the gift closet. Then I found out you can't use Amazon cards for video so I spent the gift cards and next year, I'll just type up some certificates for everyone to use on Amazon and then I'll just pay the bill. I also found these great popcorn bowls - https://www.personalizationmall.com...roductid=19183&sdest=Search&sdestid=113969604 - this is the large size but I bought three smaller ones with our names on them, don't see them on the site right now, maybe they are out of stock and will be offered again later.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
When we celebrated Christmas Eve at my BIL and SIL's home, Santa would always leave an early present under the tree for the littles -- always holiday pajamas or a winter sleeper, and if DD's feet were growing, often a new pair of slippers. She (and nieces on SIL's side) would change into their new pajamas in the evening, so if they fell asleep, they could go straight to bed when we got home. AND, we'd know what she'd be wearing for Christmas morning pictures. Gifts from my DD to SILs nieces were kept small, but often included a game, cards, or a VHS the kids could watch later on that evening, while we adults conversed. Aside from that, we didn't do any basket-type thing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela, I adore that popcorn bowl. I do love anything that is personalised.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just visiting this again. Looking for some ideas for this years Christmas Eve Basket.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
We also usually have places to go, so I've always just done christmas pajamas at the end of the night. If I put a box like that together it would be early in the month.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Michelle, what would you incorporate in a box for adults?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just a reminder that there are a lot of good ideas on here if you plan to do a Christmas Eve Basket.
We are doing ours again this year and am also doing a NYE basket to share for our get together on the 31st.

Whusky

MHH Member
Jun 7, 2022
UK
I know this is an old thread, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by reviving it?!
I've heard of some people that do a December 1st "box", rather than have it on Christmas Eve. That way they get to make the most of any Christmassy themed clothes etc.

What are your thoughts on this?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I know this is an old thread, so I hope I'm not breaking any rules by reviving it?!
I've heard of some people that do a December 1st "box", rather than have it on Christmas Eve. That way they get to make the most of any Christmassy themed clothes etc.

What are your thoughts on this?
I start using my Christmas china on December 1st and dig out any festive wear, fun holiday earrings, switch to a more festive nail polish. I think it's a great idea. What would you put in a December 1st box? Are you thinking like 24 items, sort of an Advent calendar, open one a day type thing.