Christmas Gathering Ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Today I'm adding a page of Christmas event ideas to my Christmas Notebook.
Here are a couple of ideas I wanted to try last year but never got around to.

1. Gingerbread house competition. Buy or prebake pieces so that everyone has the same basic frame to work within. Set up a table of icing, candies, etc. and let everyone go to work individually, in couples, or in teams. Everyone votes on the best one and you win a prize of some sort. Great photo op for everyone with their houses.

2. Pajama Christmas Movie Marathon. (Almost got this one organized last year but everyone got sick last minute :frown: ) Get a bunch of people together and have a Christmas movie marathon. Popular picks: National Lampoon's Christmas, A Christmas Story, Scrooged, or stick with the old claymation classics and Mickey Mouse's Christmas Carol. This works for just bout any age group. Make Christmas cookies, popcorn, and cocoa with candy canes. Depending on the group you could even have a goofiest pajama contest. (Could also leave the pj aspect out of it for unwilling adults, though I know a 32 year old who was excited to don her fluffy red footy pjs!)

3. Tree Trimming Party. Have everyone come over to help trim the tree. Depending on the group you could have people help make ornaments and each person personalize one for your tree. Play Christmas music, set up some snacks and have fun.

4. Christmas Kickoff. This one is stolen from a friend of mine. At his house on the 25th of November their house became an open house. If you dropped by you knew you would be entertained and well fed. They showcased their decorations, played Christmas music, and watched Christmas movies all day. Hot drinks and cookies and snacks were available. It was completely informal, kind of a "We'd love it if you stop by and we'll see you when we see you." kind of a day.

5. It's a Wrap. Get a bunch of wrapping paper together or ask everyone to bring a roll or two. Have bows, ribbons, and sister available. And tape! Everyone can listen to Christmas music or watch a Christmas movie, chat etc. while wrapping all their presents. This can be especially good for those with children who don't have to risk wrapping in their own home where a child might stumble upon them. Also allows for more variety in wrapping paper. A close friend can write the tags for Santa if you think your children might recognize your handwriting.

6. Boxing Day Brunch. Okay, let's face it, the 26th is always a bit of a let down. Wouldn't it be great if there was something to look forward to? What if everyone could go out for brunch (or someone could host it if they don't mind having to do the work that soon after Christmas) and talk about how their Christmases went. This would be a paired down, come as you are kind of gathering. No dressing up fancy or having to do your hair like you've had to for so many events that month. Maybe listen to "364 Days Left to Go" as part of the soundtrack. Instead of the kind of depressing day so many people report, it would be a chance to meet with a bunch of your friends and share your Christmas stories.

Please feel free to add to this list!

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I'd love the movie marathon!!!! You could get everyone to bring their favorite holiday movie to share and you could play 'what Christmas movie is this quote from?' between films.
How about card making, tag making, or wreath making parties? Then there's always cookie or ornament swaps!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
FrostyShimmer -- I would love to hear more about your friends' "Christmas Kickoff" party on November 25th! Did it really last all day long? Like from noon until 9:00?

How many people came all during the day -- and were some times more busy than others? Did they serve the same food all day - or change food as the time changed? And how many people in the family acted as "hosts"? I mean, are there teenagers or grown children and do they invite friends too? It sounds like a wonderful party to attend - but an exhausting party to give. (I bet they go to somebody elses house for Thanksgiving the next day.)

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Some neat ideals. I also like the Christmas Kickoff ideal. Would be kind of neat like the Saturday or Sunday after Thanksgiving. You would want to have enough food but not gobs for left overs.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
SparkleNana said:
FrostyShimmer -- I would love to hear more about your friends' "Christmas Kickoff" party on November 25th! Did it really last all day long? Like from noon until 9:00?

How many people came all during the day -- and were some times more busy than others? Did they serve the same food all day - or change food as the time changed? And how many people in the family acted as "hosts"? I mean, are there teenagers or grown children and do they invite friends too? It sounds like a wonderful party to attend - but an exhausting party to give. (I bet they go to somebody elses house for Thanksgiving the next day.)

Hmm....can't say that I know all the details there. As far as I know it was morning through evening. Drop by any time. I think they pretty much kept the food as Christmas cookies, snack mixes, etc. They would make different things throughout the day depending on how many people were there, but it was mainly fingerfoods. They were a family of 4 and did it for as long as I can remember. Everyone in the family had to be there that day. The 2 kids are grown now with families of their own. For all I know they are still doing it this year.

They put up all of their Christmas decorations the day before and I think they did the tree that day. The kids were allowed to invite whoever they wanted from the time they were small kids until they were teenagers. Neighbours, relatives, and friends were all welcome.

I think by not assigning any time they ensured they only ever had a couple guests at a time. People usually dropped by for an hour or two. It was a casual thing to get everyone together to get into the Christmas spirit.

Oh, and we live in Canada where Thanksgiving is in October, so it wasn't right in the midst of all the Thanksgiving Day fuss. I guess that's a much busier time in the States!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Love getting together on Boxing Day. People just seem more relaxed and less hurried. My two favourite days to host, Thanksgiving (all about the food and family) and Boxing Day!! ::eek:rnament:

sunshine

Retire Member
Jun 23, 2008
We do :

Christmas caroling -- sometime in the 1-2 weeks before Christmas

Hanging of the greens - we all get together at church to lynch my family (oops sorry, it's the standing joke, as our last name is Green). . . Actually we all get together to decorate the church for Christmas -- usually the first Sat. in Dec.