Christmas in July 2018 - Day Twenty-Nine

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Movies - I'm sure we all have a list of favorites.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
christmas vacation
elf
santa clause 123
home alone 1 2
christmas with the kranks
charlie brown christmas
this christmas
hallmark christmas movies
just to name afew

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
White Christmas
Elf
Nightmare before Christmas
Santa Clause 1
Christmas in Connecticut
Christmas Vacation

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
HW2 those are the same ones I love too!

My top 5:
Elf
Christmas with the Kranks
Christmas vacation
The Holidays
You've got mail

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
My top 5:
White Christmas
The Holiday
Love Actually
Christmas Vacation
The Christmas Card

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Anything Christmas - even "Ernest Saves Christmas." All the classics and Hallmarks. I really like "Mr. Krueger's Christmas" with James Stewart.

Reactions: housewife2

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
will have to look up Mr. Krueger's Christmas, love actually and the Christmas card

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
All of them! But especially:
Miracle on 34th Street (the original black and white)
Christmas Vacation
Christmas in Connecticut
White Christmas
The Bishop’s Wife
It’s a Wonderful Life

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Elf,
Miracle on 34th Street.
It's a Wonderful Life and more recently
Love the Coopers.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
White Christmas
Nation Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
It's a Wonderful Life
Christmas Carol
Scrooged
Santa Claus 1,2,3
Miracle on 34th Street

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
The Bishops Wife (black and white version)
Christmas in Connecticut
Miracle on 34th Street (black and white version)
White Christmas
Christmas Story
The Christmas Card

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
There is just something about a Christmas movie, isn't there? Not only are they a joy to watch, revisiting them each year is like chatting with an old friend!

Some of my favorites not mentioned already:

Meet John Doe - Another Frank Capra movie - starring Barbara Stanwyck and Gary Cooper. She is a reporter that writes a made up story about someone named "John Doe” who is beside himself over America’s neglect of the “little people” and who plans to kill himself in protest – on Christmas Eve. Sounds real cozy, right? I promise – it’s not depressing. The newspaper hires a baseball player turned hobo to pose as John Doe. They put him on the radio and he becomes famous, people start movements and clubs. But he is being used by the radio station owner who has fascist leanings – he wants to capitalize on the movement for his own gain. “John” eventually realizes this and then…well – I’ll let you watch it. And there is a love story too – of course!

Meet Me In St Louis – We all know this one right? I love that it goes through all the seasons throughout the film! Great Halloween scenes, Christmas and then Easter…the house! The costumes! The music! Swoon!

The Polar Express – It wouldn’t be Christmas without this one in our house!

Arthur Christmas – Another favorite!

The Santa Clause Movies – We have all 3!

Holiday Inn – Precursor to White Christmas, also starring Bing Crosby. Other than one –shall we say – insensitive - musical number – I really enjoy this one.

Come to the Stable – Loretta Young and Celeste Holm – Two nuns on a mission to build a children’s hospital in a small New England town. They seek to fulfill a promise they made to God when he saved a similar place in Normandy during the war. They recruit various townspeople, deal with a bookie for the land and contend with those set against the project.

The Muppet Christmas Carol – We really love this one! Classic!!!

Movies That Include Christmas…

While You Were Sleeping – I love the scene where Lucy has joined Peter’s family for their delayed Christmas – gets me every time!!! Lots of great shots of Chicago dressed up for the holidays as well!

Little Women – 1933 and 1994 version but especially the 94 one. The whole first part of the movie is class Christmas for me! And there are other Christmassy scenes later too!

Last Holiday – Queen Latifah – Great story and moral as well as lovely Christmas decorations EVERYWHERE!

The Family Stone - Diane Keaton, Craig T Nelson, Sara Jessica Parker, Claire Danes, Dermot Mulroney, etc. Set at the holidays it involves the oldest son of several siblings bringing home a reserved and nervous fiance to meet the folks (very liberal family btw) - also his mother unknown to the kids has had her cancer return. You just have to watch it. We love it and watch every year!

Movies I Want to See:

Remember the Night – Barbara Stanwyck and Fred McMurray – New York DA lets petty shoplifter (Barbara) out on bail and offers her a ride home for holidays (to Indiana). They have adventures along the way, and love arrives, of course!

Reactions: luludou

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I find it hard to sit and watch a movie. I can sit and read a book but there is something about a movie that makes it hard for me to watch. So I tend to just watch two - Holiday Inn and It's a Wonderful Life. However, I did branch out and watched Elf for the first time last year. LOL.

Reactions: AuntJamelle