Christmas in July 2019 - Day Eight

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Advent celebrations/traditions for kids that don't involve food is today's topic.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tried and True:

- $ (Bills or coins)
- $5 Target Gift Card
- Punching Balloons
- Squishy Balls
- Bedtime Pass (good for staying up 15 minutes late)
- Mini figures
- Matchbox/Hot Wheels Cars
- Jacks Set
- Bird Call
- LED Christmas Light Necklace
- Printed screenshots of Christmas themed cartoons (usually add these to drawers along with other items)

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Our favorite non-food Advent calendars are the ones put out by Playmobil. I bought a new one each year for about the first four or five years and then we just started recycling them. I know I kept some of them (recycling for the grandkids one day perhaps? lol) but I can't remember how many. We had Santa's workshop, the Christmas bakery, and a woodland scene in the collection, not sure what others. They look involved to put together but they are not at all. The little boxes that hold the pieces fold together easily and then slot right over the main board. We usually placed the scene backdrop on a table and hung the main board behind it to keep everything in one spot. Sophia loved to open the little box every morning and watch the scene take shape.

The LEGO Star Wars Advent calendar was a huge hit with my nephews. It taught them patience and teamwork as well because they took turns opening the boxes each day!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Last year I started a new thing for us. It is a 25 day countdown.
I took 25 oval cardboard discs and numbered them. On the reverse I pegged an oval piece of paper and on these I wrote things to do.

1 was give advent calendars,
2 drink hot choc
3 watch a Christmas movie
4 donate to a charity etc etc.

Will do it again this year and see if we can come up with other ideas.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
When the children were younger, I read an Advent chapter book called Jotham's Journey each day to them. While I was reading, the children could open their Advent calendars and eat the chocolate.

I also had 24 Christmas books that I would read to the children. Each day, I placed one in a pre-wrapped box or Christmas gift bag and then the children would take turns opening up the box/bag. Then I'd read the story. Some people prefer to wrap up 24 individual books but I just never had enough time to do that.

We still use an Advent wreath that we light at dinner and we read scripture from a Jesse Tree booklet after lighting the candles on the wreath. I also have a spiral wooden wreath that has 24 holes in it for a candle that can be moved daily or for placing 24 candles in it. It also has a wooden cut out of Mary on the donkey. We move the figure one spot each day. Because Advent is in during some of the darkest days of December, I love using candles at dinner. It makes things seem cozier.

Reactions: PamelaG and luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We had a fabric printed advent. I made for my oldest when he was three. I found 2 more at a yard sale and made them for dgds so now the each have one like daddy.
upload_2019-7-8_21-50-53.png

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Last year I started a new thing for us. It is a 25 day countdown.
I took 25 oval cardboard discs and numbered them. On the reverse I pegged an oval piece of paper and on these I wrote things to do.

1 was give advent calendars,
2 drink hot choc
3 watch a Christmas movie
4 donate to a charity etc etc.

Will do it again this year and see if we can come up with other ideas.
This Advent idea is so fun - 24 days of memories! You could even take a photo each day and make an album or upload them to Facebook for your friends and family to enjoy. There are lots of lists on Pinterest for Advent celebrations like this and others that focus on 24 RAKs.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This Advent idea is so fun - 24 days of memories! You could even take a photo each day and make an album or upload them to Facebook for your friends and family to enjoy. There are lots of lists on Pinterest for Advent celebrations like this and others that focus on 24 RAKs.

We enjoyed coming up with the ideas which was quite easy and then we really enjoyed doing the activities.
24 RAKs would be a good thing to look for, thanks for the suggestion.