Christmas in July 2019 - Day Four

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Upcycling gift wrapping - tips, comments, does this work for you?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I think making the wrapping part of the gift is always a great idea....like wrapping a cookbook in a dish towel, for example.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I Always reuse the silk paper. this year I made some Fabric bags, will use them for the first time at Christmas

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I think making the wrapping part of the gift is always a great idea....like wrapping a cookbook in a dish towel, for example.

Great idea Lisa!

Reactions: teachermomof2

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Great ideas!

I bought fabric bags for DH to use since he doesn't wrap.

I recycle boxes from year to year and also use food boxes e.g. cereal boxes which freaks some people out.

Finally I recycle jars and tins for food gifs.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I always reuse like cereal boxes, poptart, macaroni and whatever I saved around then. Paper towel rolls are great for stuffing a shirt or whatever in. Wrapping paper empty tubes. Pringle containers can be lined and used, nut cans.

When Jaymee was first dating Ryan and I put a gift certificate inside an empty wax box (from candy making) and it was in his stocking and I saw him umwrap it but then just kind of looked at it and tossed it aside. Told Jaymee later to have him open it. I kind of watch people now with some boxes.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My grandmother would save her wrapping paper and fold it up until she used it for someone's gift. I don't save wrapping paper. I have seen the thicker gift wrap used for covering items and then decoupaged or clear contact was put on top of it.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I thought this was a neat way to wrap small baked goods - in foil or wax paper/Saran Wrap boxes.

Attachments

• Boxes for Cookies and Mini Muffins.jpg
    Boxes for Cookies and Mini Muffins.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 5

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
this year I made some Fabric bags, will use them for the first time at Christmas
I too have done this for this year Lucie. I got calico bags and appliqued designs on them.

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't save wrapping paper but it does go in the recycling bin.
Over the past few years I am reusing gift boxes and bags and recycle jars to put small gifts in. I do not hesitate in telling the kids to give the bags back when they are unpacked,
Our "stockings" which are actually cloth sacks have been used for probably 15 years now. I made myself a new one this year but the kids and DH are still in great condition..

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I saw a store recently selling essentially large squares of fabric with nicely finished edges and matching ribbons. The idea was that you wrap the present like you would with paper, but you use the fabric squares and rectangles and secure them with the ribbon and reuse them every year. I loved the idea....but they were very expensive. I imagine someone who is good with that kind of stuff could make a beautiful set at a reasonable cost.
Right now though my kids are still at the age when they just want to rip the paper off and make a mess. When they're a bit older I'll switch to something more reusable.

Reactions: luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
This is a great idea, someone with a serger could do this by buying Christmas fabrics and cutting to various sizes. There are so many beautiful Christmas fabrics.:rolleyes:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I love the idea of fabric wrapping. The Japanese have this idea called Furoshiki. They even have different ways to tie them. Very beautiful.

Reactions: PamelaG

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
My grandmother would save her wrapping paper and fold it up until she used it for someone's gift. I don't save wrapping paper. I have seen the thicker gift wrap used for covering items and then decoupaged or clear contact was put on top of it.
My gma took all wrapping paper from my shower and wedding and ironed it out and made me a scrapbook out of all!!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I really like the idea of wrapping gifts in fabric. No waste, no ongoing costs (after the initial cost). easier to store than long rolls of paper. Something to really think about,

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
FS - that is a great idea about the fabric - you could just cut it with pinking shears if you don't have a serger.

Katrina - about the boxes - I wrapped something for one of DS's grab bags in a cereal box - the poor child who got it just stared and DS was embarrassed! Also, one Hanukkah I put DNiece's gift in a box for file folders and she complained to her mom - in the middle of the party - that she just got some dumb file folders. I think then she started to cry. She was very immature then but is now a doctor.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Debbie, I can imagine the looks you must have gotten when your DS and niece opened the boxes LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Also, one Hanukkah I put DNiece's gift in a box for file folders and she complained to her mom - in the middle of the party - that she just got some dumb file folders. I think then she started to cry. She was very immature then but is now a doctor.

Would be fun to give her a gift in a file box now.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Last year I unwrapped an apartment-size refrigerator from dd. I was so excited. I asked if that was really what was inside. Dd had a silly look on her face. I opened the box. Nope it was something else. We laughed and laughed. The real fridge was hidden in another room. Our standard question when we open an unusual box is, "Is this what it really is?" - because we have done it for years. A couple years ago I gave a dgs a box that was supposedly an earwax remover kit. He looked at it and asked, "Who would do such a thing?" Dd told him to open the box (I had given her a heads-up) and inside was college supplies.