Christmas in July 2019 - Day Four

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
They actually sell prank gift boxes - I've seen them at Christmas at Bed Bath and Beyond. Things like the Motorized Rolling Pin, the Pet Butler, and the Crib Dribbler.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Love all the ideas! Prank gift boxes! Will have to remember THAT one for sure!

I definitely upcycle and recycle/reuse my gift wrap supplies!!!

- Gift Bags in good shape are always saved and stored for reuse - even if someone stuck an adhesive gift tag on them - I just use a bigger adhesive gift tag right over top of it! I have gift bags from DS's baby shower (he's 9!) that look like new - just waiting for a chance to use all those baby bags!!! LOL

- Boxes...yes I save a lot of boxes! Too many! Just recently purged my stash of Amazon shipping boxes and broke the rest down to store flat. I use them to hold odd shaped gifts or any gift really. But I'll save any box if I think I can reuse it. The boxes Christmas lights come in, for example, are perfect for holding an ornament or other small gift.

P.S. I save the extra long twist ties that come on the new light sets too. They are perfect to use around the neck of gathered up cellophane done on a gift basket. I use the twist tie to secure and then add pretty wired ribbon on top!

Food boxes I do not usually save, lol. BUT I do cut out the parts of the boxes that have clear plastic windows in them so you can see the food inside - pasta boxes, etc. I use these in place of buying the plastic for "window" effect in card and gift tag making.

- Ribbon...I really love ribbon. So much of what I have I actually found at garage sales if you can believe it. Fabric ribbon (wired kind) gets saved after use and rolled around empty paper towel tubes to be used again. Which means my stock of ribbon doesn't go down quite as fast. :)

- Bows...my family just knows. Always save the bow. I have boxes at this point - all sizes. As long as it is still looking good I will save and reuse...

- Tissue Paper used the first time to wrap gifts gets saved and used as filler - wadded up in balls - in gifts to ship

- Baskets!!! I love baskets! But always keep an eye out for any container that could stand in for a basket for gift giving! Once again, I primarily get them from garage sales but after Christmas clearance too sometimes.

- Mason Jars area a great way to "package" oh so many gifts. Food gifts, sugar scrubs, etc.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Our Walmart had prank boxes too. We gave one to someone for a device for mounting a tablet on their steering wheel. They were like "Are you trying to kill me?"

Reactions: GrammaDeb

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I reuse boxes every year. I have Disney boxes from our trip in 1994 that still make a appearance every year. Some tissue paper I reuse but not too much, rarely do I re use wrapping paper.
I have a collection of gift bagsbut, there is something about unwrapping a box- it’s just so much more fun.
We use any kind of box too. my son thought he was getting a crock pot a few years ago but I had re used the box. He was disappointed so now I will cross out what ever the picture is on a used box. He did get the crock pot the next year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a collection of gift bagsbut, there is something about unwrapping a box- it’s just so much more fun.
I love the idea of unwrapping a great wrapped gift and the kids tossing the paper aside. I use gift boxes but do wrap presents more than bag them.