Christmas in July 2019 - Day Fourteen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Moving into Week Three already! Hygge Christmas Style. Hygge (pronounced Hoo-ga) loosely translates as a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being. We'll start with decor - how does your decor promote or compliment a sense of comfort, togetherness, and well-being?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Since our house has a small front room and then the larger, long main room (gotta love military housing) I decided when we moved into this house that our main tree would go into the small front room and that's where all the presents would go. I wanted to do this so that on Christmas morning we would be in the confined space closer together and cozy. It definitely has had a cottage feel the past two Christmases when we've been all together opening presents in the smaller front room with the tree lit up in the wee hours of the morning. I love the feeling it brings.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I love all of this: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/542331980124169570/
I use a lot of lanterns, They are red and white and I place them on the stairs. I also have "natural" decor on my tree. birds, birds houses, pine cone garlands, apple ornaments, white flowers similar to baby's breathe, and large jingle bells on my main tree. I have 3 forest looking trees that are different heights and I put white lights and snowflakes on them, and place woodland animals around them.
I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm with MissJoDee on this. Have been trying to go more natural and more white and black. Christmas throws and pillows on the couches too.
I love the Hygge-Danish style for Christmas, so much more relaxing.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Never realized this style had an official name but I've certainly pinned plenty of it!!!

When it comes to our decor we of course have the BIG main tree in our great room but beyond that I try to keep things low key. Lots of greenery, white lights, white, black and pops of red. Wood elements here and there. Galvanized metal sometimes.

Most decor is in the living room/kitchen/dining main area - all up on top of cabinets or high shelves.

I will have a simple centerpiece on the dining table.

The overall goal is to keep the decor from taking over our living spaces but still adding enough of a special touch so that you "know" it is Christmas time!!!

Lights, lights, lights!!! Love living by Christmas light!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I like to add lots of white candles and white lights to our rooms. I keep a bunch in our fireplace when we aren't using it for a fire. I have votive candles on the mantle in our living room and white lights on the garland hanging from the mantle. I have various size candles at the front entrance and votive candles in our bathroom. Our dining room has the Advent wreath candles and the spiral candle wreath. The kitchen usually has a large Yankee Candle burning. Our family room has the white lights on the tree. Because my dh likes to toss a ball and practice soccer moves in the family room, I use the battery operated candles in there. It gives me peace of mind.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My decorating s fairly basic and tends towards the more traditional.
A very large tree in the loungeroom is decorated with family ornaments and warm white lights.
The family room doors have lighted wreaths on them and also a lit swag. Candles and family photos are some of my favorite decor.
For Mother's day this year I got a Christmas duvet cover so will be keen to decorate the bedroom a bit more.
Remembering that it is Summer here so we don't go for warm and cozy (such a pity)

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
More pillows and blankets all in holiday themes.