Christmas in July 2019 - Day One

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Good morning and Happy Christmas in July!

Please post your comments on today's theme - Upcycle Christmas/Décor - or share your thoughts about the first day of Christmas in July.

I have a blog post up - I figured if I keep them short, I should be able to keep up with daily blogging.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Most of the Christmas décor that we buy is to replace something that broke (especially the outside decorations) or to add to what we have. I have a tote filled with glass ornaments from when I was a kid or that we bought before kids/pets that I will one day use again. I don't use them now for fear of them falling and breaking on my wood floors. We have a cat who loves Christmas trees especially sleeping under the main tree and a large dog who loves to chase the cat . So far only a few of the ornaments have been knocked off the tree because of them. I try to spread out my Christmas décor through out the house and some years placing them in a different location to breath new life into them. I love finding older decorations at yard sales and 2nd had stores that I can clean up and incorporate into what we have.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I think we'll find that many of us use the same décor year after year, replacing things that are broken or look tired or adding a little something new that coordinates with what we have. I do have a couple of acquaintances (not really close enough to call them friends) who have completely new décor every year. I'm not really sure if they store previous years' décor and perhaps recycle it at some point but I doubt it as all of them have the budget to buy new each year and the lifestyle that seems to require it as they do a LOT of entertaining. In their cases, I think it's a little sad that their Christmas has to live up more and more to the expectations of others - a little showy perhaps? I hope they pass on the old décor kindly or donate it.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I typically reuse all my decor. I don't often buy new of anything unless I see something that I feel I can't live without, which isn't very often. Last year we did purchase a new tree after almost 10 years I believe. Most of the lights had stopped working so we were wrapping light strands around the pre-lit tree which didn't really make any sense and I had just had it. We bought a beautiful, very full, pre-lit tree that is larger than our last one in height and girth. We did use our old one last year up on a ledge in our house, but then it went to the curb. I have also been tossing a lot of old, broken decor and haven't been replacing it. I've been downsizing with each holiday. I've also donated items that I haven't used in several years to the Thrift Store, things that just aren't my style any longer.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I only "buy" new Christmas decor at garage sales these days LOL

We have so much that I only pick up something "new" if it is really something nice and I can absolutely use it!

I upcycle my extra artificial trees by using the branches to fill out the trees I do put up (hide the holes), to add to garland to give it more of a full look, as swags stuck behind larger decorative items, etc.

If lights burn out I use wire cutters to remove and ziptie on new ones - recently took lights off of a large wicker yard reindeer I got for $3 at a garage sale and redid the lights! :) Plan to do the same to a tall skinny Christmas tree I have too.

I do redo or make new wreaths from time to time. Have to think if there is anything else I upcycle...

Reactions: Myron's Mom

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I also use various neutral pieces in different ways or in different areas to become part of Christmas decor - a green or a white ceramic bowl filled with ornaments for example.

I do a lot of that every year actually - it's called "shopping the house"!!! LOL

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
As much as I can't imagine that I would ever say this, I will be downsizing Christmas and other holidays this year as well. This is our forever home and if it doesn't fit in here, there's no point in keeping it. I think living without everything for six months has made me realize that if I can be without it for that long, I probably didn't need it in the first place. I am an impulse buyer and I have to curb that. I have things that I save because I think Sophia might like them but many are finding that their children and grandchildren are just not interested in the clutter of the past. Sad in a way, but a simpler lifestyle, more experiences than things seems to be the way things are going.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I also use various neutral pieces in different ways or in different areas to become part of Christmas decor - a green or a white ceramic bowl filled with ornaments for example.

I do a lot of that every year actually - it's called "shopping the house"!!! LOL
I love that - shopping the house! I'm actually doing something similar - I'm visiting the library in my bookcases. So many books I don't seem to have read.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I cannot imagine buying new decor every year. think of the expense and where does one store it all.
I have been using the same stuff for years and it suits me. I buy the kids a new ornament every year and might purchase something if I really like it. I often get decor as gifts from my mum.
If there is something that I see somewhere that I would like to try I normally wait until after Christmas and try and find it on sale.
I like a lot pf you try and change things up every year by using the same items but in a different way. Works for me.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I cannot imagine buying new decor every year. think of the expense and where does one store it all.
They can't be storing it, what a waste. I know it's just for show because one of them actually has someone come in and do the decorating, even their tree. That's my favorite part, takes me hours with oohing and aahing over every ornament, remembering who gave it to us or what occasion it commemorates. Even if I had all the money in the world, I wouldn't turn my tree decorating over to someone else.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Most of my things have been used again and again including the one foot tall tree that my mom got for me when I was 3 years old - quite a while ago!

I only buy piggy ornaments for myself and might need to get a special tree to hang them on.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I reuse and mostly the decorations go in the exact same place. I buy a few new pieces but I am lacking space. I now try to buy things I can reunse for other holidays too... and I'm have a board on pinterest of things that are done for multi-holidays (ex: 1 side says Christmas and the other side says Halloween).

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I can't believe that it's July! It snuck up on me again.

We reuse decorations each year as well. However, last year, I did run out to pick up more decorations for the tree. Dh wanted to get a bigger tree and it was so big that we needed more ornaments on it. :oops: I tend to place the decorations through out the first floor, usually in the same place. I made one impulse purchase at Hobby Lobby three years ago. I usually don't do that kind of thing but it just really spoke to me and I haven't regretted it. .

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We use the same stuff over and every once in awhile buy something new. Mainly for outside the new stuff comes in.

On our tree if I use something that is really special and can break I use the bread ties and tie it onto a branch. Last couple of years cats were here and before that if little kids are around. We have our tree on a piece of plywood so it is tied down.

I need to REALLY REALLY sort and move some stuff out that we don't use.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I seldom change my decorating theme for my tree. Probably only once when we moved to the play farm with the horses. Then I started buying horse related ornaments but just added them to what I had on the tree.

I have a rotating tree base so the tree needs to be decorated all the way around. I love it. Now I just wrap the tree with plastic wrap so I do not have to put on the ornaments every year. I might have to adjust some that came loose during the travel from the bedroom closet to the living room. We just pull/push it along. It does hit the sides of the door frames so we are careful pushing it then.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I use the same things every year. Can’t imagine buying all new every year. Tradition is such a big part of our Christmas.
I stopped buying years ago, ( including hallmark), I might pick up something special if I find it. I put up 3 trees and still have stuff I don’t use. The only thing I plan to buy this year is the clips that you hang ornaments with. I’m tired of fighting with the wire hangers. The only ones I’ll keep are the antique ones from grandmas.
I’ve started getting rid of things that I don’t like or use anymore. I text a picture to my son first to see if he wants it. If not it goes to the thrift shop.
The joke is I have more elves ( annalee dolls)than Santa. I’m thinking about thinning those out too. I love to decorate but I’m doing it by my self now and I have to put all that stuff away.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I use the same things every year. Can’t imagine buying all new every year. Tradition is such a big part of our Christmas.
I stopped buying years ago, ( including hallmark), I might pick up something special if I find it. I put up 3 trees and still have stuff I don’t use. The only thing I plan to buy this year is the clips that you hang ornaments with. I’m tired of fighting with the wire hangers. The only ones I’ll keep are the antique ones from grandmas.
I’ve started getting rid of things that I don’t like or use anymore. I text a picture to my son first to see if he wants it. If not it goes to the thrift shop.
The joke is I have more elves ( annalee dolls)than Santa. I’m thinking about thinning those out too. I love to decorate but I’m doing it by my self now and I have to put all that stuff away.
Do you have a link for the clips? I don't think I've seen those.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I seldom change my decorating theme for my tree. Probably only once when we moved to the play farm with the horses. Then I started buying horse related ornaments but just added them to what I had on the tree.

I have a rotating tree base so the tree needs to be decorated all the way around. I love it. Now I just wrap the tree with plastic wrap so I do not have to put on the ornaments every year. I might have to adjust some that came loose during the travel from the bedroom closet to the living room. We just pull/push it along. It does hit the sides of the door frames so we are careful pushing it then.
I LOVE my rotating base, it makes decorating so easy and it's nice to be able to enjoy all of the ornaments at the front and back of the tree. One of the best decorating investments we've made.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I can't believe that it's July! It snuck up on me again.

We reuse decorations each year as well. However, last year, I did run out to pick up more decorations for the tree. Dh wanted to get a bigger tree and it was so big that we needed more ornaments on it. :oops: I tend to place the decorations through out the first floor, usually in the same place. I made one impulse purchase at Hobby Lobby three years ago. I usually don't do that kind of thing but it just really spoke to me and I haven't regretted it. .
So tell us, what was the impulse purchase at Hobby Lobby?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
4AED92EE-477D-42A1-9C5A-F185499CFEFA.jpeg
Pam, this all I can find on line and I couldn’t get a link posted. Mine are gold with a snowflake design. They are more classy looking than the snowman that’s pictured. I found some at hobby lobby (I think) last year but when I had the money to buy a bunch they were gone. If I get a chance I’ll post a picture of mine if they are handy. If I find them this year I’ll post the source.

Reactions: Lana and Ahorsesoul