Christmas in July 2019 - Day Seven

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Moving into Week Two - Advent. How about we start with Advent celebrations/traditions for Kids that involve food? In our house that would be the open the door-type of Advent calendars that have little chocolates behind each door. Do you buy them? Do you have a favorite brand? The military commissaries always have a large German foods section during the holidays and I buy mine there, the Windel brand which you can also get on Amazon.com. When I like to have a little splurge, I'll order one from one of the online British food stores because Cadbury's chocolate is so good!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We have used the chocolate Advent Calendars from Christmas Tree Shop or Trader Joe's in the past. Because of nut allergies, we have also used Hershey Chocolate Kisses as a substitute for my one daughter. We have a felt Advent calendar that has little pockets that fit Hershey Kisses.

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I had two cloth Advent calendars with pockets that my Mum bought for Sophia. I think we alternated them - snowman one year, Santa the next. They were great for little candies.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love the David's Tea advent calendar.

Disney did one last year with a book for every day, but the store lost my order, and then I wasn't able to find one anywhere else.

We always get the cheap chocolate ones that are $1 with a little chocolate for each day. For a while I was buying the Lego ones, but they're so expensive, and the girls have a lot of Lego now. Last year after Christmas I picked up a 2018 Lego Friends, a Playmobil Hockey one, and a Barbie one all for 75% off. I'm going to use those for the girls this year.

Last year DD6 was obsessed with Hatchimals, so I paid the money to get one. She was so happy and played with it so much that I didn't mind paying full price. They already have this year's out, and they've changed it to only 12 days. I know she really wants it, but I'm hoping to find it on sale in December.

I have advent calendars with wooden drawers I've filled other years if there were things my daughters were interested in that I could make up a calendar for them.

I also have a tree with little knit hats, mittens, and socks for each day. DH usually fills it with Lindt chocolates for me, though last year DD6 emptied it out while I was sleeping and had herself a delicious midnight snack. :(

One that was a huge hit with my girls was the Crayola advent calendar with a craft for each day. I saw them on clearance for $6 last year, and I'm kicking myself for not picking one up for each of the girls. They're $25 now.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have always had the chocolate advent calendars here. I still buy 3 every year one for DH, DS and DD. Will have to buy one for BF this year.
The brand we choose is Kinnerton, they are good value and the chocolate in them is reasonable. The designs are usually something like Barbie, Transformers etc, all geared to kids but my kids don't mind what they get.
DS eats his chocolate every morning DH and DD wait til evening.

One year DD opened her window and the space was empty and in her little voice said "gone". Opened the next window and it too was empty, started opening all the windows to find that every space was empty. DS has opened every window of hers and ate the chocolate as well as his own. She was so sad.....
Something we laugh about now but we were ticked off with DS at the time.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I forgot to mention that on the evening before St. Nicholas Day we have the kids leave out their boots. If they've been good they find chocolate coins and if they've been bad they get a stick. It's kind of their last chance to correct their behaviour before Christmas.

The first year we began this tradition, I had planned on getting them something for St. Nicholas Day, and DH was away so I couldn't drive into town. The weather ended up being horrible, and I wasn't able to get to a store. I was so disappointed. I thought of baking something, but there was no way I could do that without the kids knowing it was me. Then a neighbour I'd only spoken to once or twice showed up at my door, by complete coincidence, and told me that in her home country they celebrated St. Nicholas Day with these chocolate Santas and other things. She said she wanted to share her tradition with us and gave me a bag of things for the girls. She didn't want them to know she'd brought them over as it was supposed to be St. Nicholas.

Anyways, I've always thought what amazing happenstance that was and how nice it was for that neighbour to think of us.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
For years I've bought those cheap advent calendars with chocolates at the grocery store. Now I buy 4 - one each for dgs, dgd, dh, and ME! I've wanted to make something cute & special but I never get around to it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We don't like DS to have too much chocolate - he gets very hyper! lol

So I keep candy type treats in our wooden Advent calendar to a minimum.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Now that I review my notes I do have some other ideas to share:

- Small clear bag of red, green, silver wrapped kisses with a cute tag that says "Mrs. Claus's Kisses"
- Small clear bag of red M&M's with cute tag that says "Rudolph Noses"
- Container of orange tick tacks with cute label taped on that says "Snowman Noses"
- Small clear bag of green M&M's that says "Grinch Pills" with a poem

“Feeling kind of grouchy? Holiday spirit can’t be found? Just try these little “Grinch Pills” They’re the best medicine around! Whether eating by the handful, or munching one by two...These tasty little “pills” Take the grinch right out of you!”

DS loved these last year!

There are TONS of ideas along these lines that can make candy gifts a bit more fun!

Reactions: PamelaG

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We never did advent calendars. I’m sure my son would have enjoyed it though. I would have too. I’ll have to check them out this year and see if there is something we might enjoy.
Frosty, it sounds like you had some Santa/ St Nicholas magic going on there! Thank you for sharing that story.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
The last 3 or 4 years I have gotten Teigan one. Barbie one last year. I also do the gift a day one. I try to buy items at $1 or under and wrap it and number them in a sack and she opens 1 every morning. Our kids went to a Christmas thing were that was done so I always did it for them even when they got out of high school. Quit all theirs when Teigan came along!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I remember one I made for my daughter on a year that things were really, really tight. I found various info, coloring sheets, and activity sheets about Christmas in different countries. I made her a homemade activity book and she loved it. If I remember right it was more of a 12 days countdown than a full monthly advent, but it's more of a reminder and statement that an advent can be done for cheap. It doesn't have to be extravagant.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I remember one I made for my daughter on a year that things were really, really tight. I found various info, coloring sheets, and activity sheets about Christmas in different countries. I made her a homemade activity book and she loved it. If I remember right it was more of a 12 days countdown than a full monthly advent, but it's more of a reminder and statement that an advent can be done for cheap. It doesn't have to be extravagant.
Oh I could do this for granddaughters.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

It is great when we can do a whole lot of little magical things for the kids that won't break the bank. I like the coloring book idea.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I used to use a lot of worksheets and coloring pages from a site called Enchanted Learning for preschool fun and even into our later homeschool years. I can't remember if you have to be a member or not but I don't think there was a membership fee.