Christmas in July 2019 - Day Six

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
The second of our specialty upcycle categories - book pages.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for the links MissJoDee! I love the books with the elve names!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
As a former librarian the idea of mutilating a book is still anathema to me - but there are many good ideas out there for ones I no longer need.

I'm thinking about it.....

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Such cute ideas! When I was a child we made Christmas trees out of Readers Digests, spray painted green and decorated.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
As a former librarian the idea of mutilating a book is still anathema to me
I understand. I think about all those green Funk and Wangalls we had growing up and people are giving away or in the thrift store that could be stacked in tree form.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Jody, What a good idea for those! I'm keep my eyes open for the next Library Book sale.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
As a former librarian the idea of mutilating a book is still anathema to me - but there are many good ideas out there for ones I no longer need.

I'm thinking about it.....
My friend works in a school library and she had the cutest decorations out of stacked books - white books for snowmen with black books for hats and added some construction paper buttons, green books for elves, red books for Santa, etc. So cute.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I understand. I think about all those green Funk and Wangalls we had growing up and people are giving away or in the thrift store that could be stacked in tree form.
Oh my goodness, the days of the Encyclopedia Britannica! Somewhere there are grandpas telling their grandchildren they used to be door to door encyclopedia salesmen.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Oh my goodness, the days of the Encyclopedia Britannica! Somewhere there are grandpas telling their grandchildren they used to be door to door encyclopedia salesmen.
Update: Did a little Googling and it looks like the salesmen didn't make cold calls, they followed up on calls that came into the office. A little different than the Fuller Brush man.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, love the white wrapped books with reindeer names. Simple but effective.
Also like the "log" Christmas card holder, so pretty.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

We had the same encyclopaedia here. I think I remember mum buying one every week until we had the complete set. I might have to ask her.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've seen books wrapped in color coordinated decorative paper on book shelves. I have also seen children's picture book pages either color copied or taken from the book and framed. My weakness is children's holiday picture books. I use them to decorate a room.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I've seen books wrapped in color coordinated decorative paper on book shelves. I have also seen children's picture book pages either color copied or taken from the book and framed. My weakness is children's holiday picture books. I use them to decorate a room.
I LOVE children's holiday books. I always head straight to the children's section when Barnes and Noble puts out their holiday books. I should have been a librarian.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I too have a small range of kids holiday books. Not too many but am drawn to them when I see them at the shops. There is something wonderful about kids books.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We always made trees from the readers digest when I was a kid.
I have all my children’s books from when I was a kid but not too many Christmas books. Not sure why that is.
I love the old Ideals magazine/ books. I have just a few ( some are Christmas), that I’m not sure where they came from.
I do remember the Fuller brush man lol. Was always so much fun to shop with my mom.