Christmas in July 2019 - Day Thirty

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Memories of Christmases Past, A Walk Down Memory Lane.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
My blog post is up - it's pretty long to post here, lol it's pretty long for a blog post but there are pictures!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have a few past Christmas days that stay in my mind.

1984 DH first Christmas with my family. DH did not grow up with his parents but was raised by his Great Grandparents. Christmas growing up was not a big occasion. For the first Christmas at our house DH was included and half way thorough opening presents and stockings he had to take a break as he had never experienced a Christmas like it and he was overwhelmed by it all. Skip to 2018 and we now have DD BF as a member of our family and halfway through Christmas morning DH leans over and says to BF, "it's all OK, this is how we do it, you will get used to it."

1991, DH lost his job just before Christmas. We had only been married a few years and only had DS, and not a lot of money. Our neighbours found out about the job situation and bought a few little gifts for DS. It was a lovely thought and I certainly appreciated it.

1998. We found out on December 14 1998 that my dad had cancer and had only about 6 months to live. We decided not to tell the kids until after Christmas. We very quickly got all the family together, my brother and his family came from interstate and we had the last family Christmas with my dad. It was an amazing day. Dad passed away June 1999.

2000. Our whole family had not been together for Christmas since 1998 so for 2000 we decided that we would all get together and celebrate. We all stayed at my mum's.
There were 7 adults and 6 kids at my mum's house. We arranged for Santa to visit the kids. We had the boys in the backyard in tents, mum had 2 grandkids in her bed and there were people everywhere. I don't think we got much sleep Christmas Eve as there was too much snoring and giggling. Christmas morning was amazing, we had so many presents we could hardly find room to sit in the loungeroom. It was the perfect day.

Brings back happy and sad memories

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My first Christmas in my own place was my favorite Christmas. It was Christmas for the first and last time just as I wanted. I didn't go to see any friends or family on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I sat celebrating sitting by the tree decked out in white lights and reading books. I had some Egg Nog. I went to Christmas morning Mass, read more books and then made New England Clam Chowder for dinner.

A memorable Christmas that I don't want to relive again is my dh being admitted into the hospital the week before Christmas. He had been sick at home and wasn't able to eat or drink. My oldest was 18 months old. I had a few presents bought on Black Friday but I wasn't finished with the shopping. The tree wasn't up and it just didn't feel like Christmas. My brothers came over to help me put up the artificial tree. I put out store bought Christmas cookies and soda. We listened to music, ate and decorated. It seemed a bit more like Christmas. My dh was sent home on 23 Dec. and I ordered a pre-made boxed Christmas dinner that the grocery stores sell that time of year. A few months later, I found the message boards that CEO use to have and learned about the Christmas Countdown. That October, I started the prepping plan. It has served me well through the years.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
That October, I started the prepping plan. It has served me well through the years.

A few years back about 2-3 weeks before Christmas I hurt my back. It was getting better and I had a relapse and it was so bad I was bed bound. Nothing was done,there was no baking and no Christmas food. Luckily the tree was up. I thought that I was going to have to throw the unwrapped presents under the tree and let the kids fight it out. My mum came over, dosed me up with pain meds and although it took hours we got the presents wrapped.

After that I vowed never to be that close to Christmas and not be prepared and that is when I started year round prep.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
A few years back about 2-3 weeks before Christmas I hurt my back. It was getting better and I had a relapse and it was so bad I was bed bound. Nothing was done,there was no baking and no Christmas food. Luckily the tree was up. I thought that I was going to have to throw the unwrapped presents under the tree and let the kids fight it out. My mum came over, dosed me up with pain meds and although it took hours we got the presents wrapped.

After that I vowed never to be that close to Christmas and not be prepared and that is when I started year round prep.

It's amazing how those kinds of things can change us. Isn't it wonderful when family steps in? I am much more in tune now with helping people especially around Christmas. I like to ask "What can I do to make Christmas feel like Christmas to you?" I always figure that there has to be something that can give a little joy even if the circumstances are less than joyful.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It's amazing how those kinds of things can change us. Isn't it wonderful when family steps in? I am much more in tune now with helping people especially around Christmas. I like to ask "What can I do to make Christmas feel like Christmas to you?" I always figure that there has to be something that can give a little joy even if the circumstances are less than joyful.
True, I was so lucky to have my mum step in and help. Christmas has always been important to me but it was not until I almost didn't have one that I realised how upset I would be.
More than ever since then I have focused on how we as a family can help others enjoy Christmas. If I can help wrap some gifts or do some baking I am willing to.