Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twenty-Six

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Today's topic is Christmas Traditions - it's still under the category of Christmas in the Kitchen but you don't have to restrict your comments to food! I realized that I skipped a theme in this category so that one will be up tomorrow. I posted our traditions in my blog post today.

Reactions: Minta

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
When I was growing up, my Mom would make homemade cinnamon rolls on Christmas Eve, so we would have them for Christmas morning. We were a family of 6 + grandparents, and to this day, the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls baking brings back those fond memories. Because it's just me, now, I still bake cinnamon rolls on Christmas morning, but from a small tube.of Pillsbury.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Growing up my always made the same thing for our Christmas Dinner which was the same as out Thanksgiving dinner LOL. Turkey dinner with all the sides and she made enough to feed and army ... It was only the 3 of us! Some years I a do turkey with all the sides for our Christmas dinner. My mom always spent days in the kitchen baking cookies, this is where I get my bake fest from.

When our kids were born, we wrapped their Santa gifts in a special Santa paper. Since Santa doesn't do name tags in our home each kid had their own Santa paper. The kids would have to get their stocking to see what wrapping Santa used to wrap their stocking stuffers and then match the wrapping paper to the gifts under the tree.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am not sure I should share this here But....I never like the thought of disappointing my kids in regards to Santa.
Santa was a game we played a character we saw on TV and at the mall. We were able to live the magic of Christmas and the reason for the season in perspective. I would have so much fun coming up with something different to put under the tree and the look on their face was so funny as they tried to figure out the why behind it. One year we shopped at Farm and Fleet year toy sale and while we were there I got a bell shape bird feeder, and salt lick the size of a brick, etc When ds opened that brick of salt he looked so confused...After I reminded them that the animals have a hard time finding food sometimes and I thought they would enjoy feeding them. We have a huge yard that back to preserved undeveloped land they thought it was cool! DD got a board (lumber) and nails that year with a pattern on how to build a birdhouse. Can you image unwrapping a board? LOL.

My favorite year was when I set there gifts out as decor for the house. Gift were for Linus Charlie Brown Lucy and Sally.

So I keep thinking and try to come up with something "weird" for them. So year yeah and others nah but I try.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I feel like our traditions have evolved over time to fit the family as we grow and change. The one thing that I do each October is ask the family for the top 5 things that makes Christmas seem like Christmas. They write it on paper and then I try to see how dh and I can work it into our weekend schedules from Thanksgiving until the day before Christmas Eve. Most of their favorites overlap and if I can't fit it in before Christmas, then we try to do it the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

The top three things we do yearly is get a fresh Christmas tree, have a tree decorating party, and bake Christmas cookies.

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
We have the Christmas Eve movie and Chinese food sometime over the holiday.

Last year we never got out of our pj's and built a large LEGO ( the VW bus) on Christmas day. This may be a new tradition.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
We have the Christmas Eve movie and Chinese food sometime over the holiday.

Last year we never got out of our pj's and built a large LEGO ( the VW bus) on Christmas day. This may be a new tradition.
I like this tradition!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I am not sure I should share this here But....I never like the thought of disappointing my kids in regards to Santa.
Santa was a game we played a character we saw on TV and at the mall. We were able to live the magic of Christmas and the reason for the season in perspective. I would have so much fun coming up with something different to put under the tree and the look on their face was so funny as they tried to figure out the why behind it. One year we shopped at Farm and Fleet year toy sale and while we were there I got a bell shape bird feeder, and salt lick the size of a brick, etc When ds opened that brick of salt he looked so confused...After I reminded them that the animals have a hard time finding food sometimes and I thought they would enjoy feeding them. We have a huge yard that back to preserved undeveloped land they thought it was cool! DD got a board (lumber) and nails that year with a pattern on how to build a birdhouse. Can you image unwrapping a board? LOL.

My favorite year was when I set there gifts out as decor for the house. Gift were for Linus Charlie Brown Lucy and Sally.

So I keep thinking and try to come up with something "weird" for them. So year yeah and others nah but I try.
I sometimes label DVDs as being from the characters in the movie/TV series - I don't make it too obvious so it keeps Vic and Sophia guessing.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
When our kids were born, we wrapped their Santa gifts in a special Santa paper. Since Santa doesn't do name tags in our home each kid had their own Santa paper. The kids would have to get their stocking to see what wrapping Santa used to wrap their stocking stuffers and then match the wrapping paper to the gifts under the tree.
I like this tradition. What a great idea.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I feel like our traditions have evolved over time to fit the family as we grow and change. The one thing that I do each October is ask the family for the top 5 things that makes Christmas seem like Christmas. They write it on paper and then I try to see how dh and I can work it into our weekend schedules from Thanksgiving until the day before Christmas Eve. Most of their favorites overlap and if I can't fit it in before Christmas, then we try to do it the week between Christmas Day and New Year's Eve.

I love this idea too. I would love to ask DH and DS what they have in mind for their Christmas.
I do have a Christmas countdown with 25 different things on it such a write Christmas cards, see Christmas lights, photo in front of the tree. These were my ideas so it would be interesting to see what the boys think.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have a few traditions here that we have been doing for years.
When the kids were little I would make fruit pudding that had threepences in it. I would give the kids 5 coins each and as they stirred the coins into the pudding they would say out loud what they would like for Christmas. Gave me a heads up as I always made the pudding on the first weekend in October.
Now that the kids are adults on the first day of September I get DS or DD to make a Santa list for the family that gets put on the fridge door, then we write what we might like for Christmas on that list.

Another tradition happened by accident. One year we opened presents and then sat down for breakfast. The kids realised that we had forgotten to open stockings. Now we open gifts, have breakfast and then open stockings.

Reactions: PamelaG and Minta