Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twenty-Three

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Baking. It's been discussed on quite a few different threads but in case you haven't commented before, or have something new to add, or just want to tell us again about your December baking.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
According to my family it does NOT smell like Christmas until I have started my baking. I try to bake a couple different things each weekend so my family will have goodies to enjoy while watching all those Christmas shows and movies.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Since I do most of my baking ahead of time now, I'm more able to enjoy the baking I do during the actual month of December. That is primarily the PW Cinnamon Rolls - which are lots of fun :) And boy do they always smell so good!

I love to have Christmas music playing in the background, Christmas scented candles lit, all the lights on the tree, etc. - if I can arrange for snow softly falling outside that is even better!!! Then I just bake, bake, bake!!!

I like to stand on the spot in the floor in front of our double ovens - the warmth from the oven vent blows on that spot and makes it toasty warm! I can feel it right through my thick cozy socks and it feels gooood!

I can sometimes get DS to help me in the kitchen - I throw a bar apron on him and away we go. :)

Although cookies are "done" officially, I like to try and sneak in a fun last minute experiment if possible - and if it turns out great - if not? Hakuna Matata!!!

This year I'll be making Oven Caramel Corn in December as well - and probably some other things for as yet to be determined theme for my sister's BF's gift basket.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Some people like to have one baking day and do all the baking at one time. I have about 5 or 6 favorite cookies; and trying to bake them all in one day just seems overwhelming to me, so I bake one batch a day (I'm retired, so it works well for me). I might make the dough the day before and bake the cookies the next day. Cookies that need to be rolled, cooled and dipped may be spread over a few days. I guess I make my Christmas cookies the same way I would eat an elephant. I have made many references to eating an elephant over the last few days!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I love to have Christmas music playing in the background, Christmas scented candles lit, all the lights on the tree, etc. - if I can arrange for snow softly falling outside that is even better!!! Then I just bake, bake, bake!!!

When I started to read this paragraph, it sounded wonderful but when I got to the part about snow falling, a vision of a perfect Christmas scene popped into my head!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have always done home baking here and will start late November or early December. My mum is a great baker but she is getting older and can no longer do all day baking sessions so we spread them out. She makes the best fruit mince pies so while she is doing those I will make the truffles or fudge. Then another day she will make the gingerbread ( she sends this to relations interstate).
We try to have new things every week over the month so that there is a fresh supply of goodies.
I make a few things here like peppermint bark and fruit cake that I offer to visitors

I agree nothing smells better than Christmas baking.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We celebrate St. Nicholas Day with Specuulas cookies that have been rolled out. I have a cookie cutter in the shape of St. Nicholas. That is the only time that I serve Christmas cookies before Christmas Eve.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I used to make tons of cookies but now bake only a few family favorites. It most definitely makes the house smell like Christmas. And there is nothing better than sitting by the tree, Christmas music and a plate of homemade cookies.