Christmas in July 2019 - Day Two

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Regifting, no doubt this will be an interesting topic.

My blog post is up with a link to a short article with some regifting tips.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't see a problem with regifting and giving something a better home with someone who will love it. If the gift doesn't bring you joy (As Marie Kondo would say), then there's no need to hang on to it. I'm not offended if I gift someone something and it wasn't the right thing. I always let them know that I have the receipt and they can return it to get what they want. Life's too short to hang on to clutter and "things" that don't make us happy just to make someone else happy that might not really care anyway.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I agree - I'm not offended if someone doesn't like something I picked out....and some people are really hard to buy for.

That said, when I was a little girl I saved up a lot of money (for me at the time) to buy my mother a silver bracelet for Christmas. A few years later she was going through her drawers and pulled it out, tossed it to me and said "Someone gave this to me once, and I never really liked it. Take it."

I threw it in the river. Immature reaction, but I was immature at the time. Point is, make sure you remember who gave it to you so you don't give it back to the same person! :)

Reactions: AuntJamelle

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I don't regift. One time I got an electric roaster from J's aunt....she got it from J's brother for Christmas and didn't want it, so wrapped it up for me for the next Christmas. She told me it was the one he got her. Awkward.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I mainly regift food and wine - especially wine - to people who will eat it or share it with those who will.

I do regift some other items but make sure to do it outside of the social circle.

And I do donate.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I
That said, when I was a little girl I saved up a lot of money (for me at the time) to buy my mother a silver bracelet for Christmas. A few years later she was going through her drawers and pulled it out, tossed it to me and said "Someone gave this to me once, and I never really liked it. Take it."

I threw it in the river. Immature reaction, but I was immature at the time. Point is, make sure you remember who gave it to you so you don't give it back to the same person! :)

I would have threw it in the river too!!! As a mother she should have remembered it was you who gave it to her. She could have worn it around the house to honor her little girl who though enough of her to give her a gift. I'm wondering if she was mad at you at the time she did this.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

Frosty, that story broke my heart. What a sweet little girl you were for doing something so wonderful for your mother.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I don't regift but I don't mind giving the gifts I don't like to less fortunate
I am the same Lucie. I rarely re gift as the circle that I give to is small and I don't ever want to face an awkward situation. I will however put things under the charity Christmas tree or donate to a Christmas drive if the gift is not to my liking.

Reactions: PamelaG and luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Upcycle does not necessarily mean re-gifting. The charter school I work at was chartered on the environment and we taught the students different ways to reduce our impact on the environment. One of the things we did was a Holiday Bazaar for the students to shop for gifts for their family's. The gifts were donations from the family's that attended the school and/or their families/friends. The students were able to purchase gifts for their gifts for $1 each. There was always plenty items to shop.

Last year due life circumstances of several family members, we choose to do upcycle gifts. Each person has a name for which they were to get a gift and there was a price of whatever you could afford. It became quite fun as we had a new family member by marriage and his interests were not known by everyone. Long story short it was discovered that said person was a collector of Star Wars items and another family member has original Star War items and gave as their gift. What delight we saw on his face. I was given a snowman lamp and candy dish because a family member know I had a snowman collection. Some of us shopped our homes, some shopped consignment shops/thrift stores. We plan to do it again this year and will draw names early enough some there is plenty of time to plan our gift.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, love this idea. We call that a Secret Santa and it is a great way to gift presents.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I will regift a bottle of wine at Christmas if I receive it as a hostess gift.

I have made many donations to Goodwill after Christmas. My in-laws found out and were furious but it did cut down on the obscene amount of gifts that we use to receive.

When I find out that people don't like a gift that I give them, then I make a donation to Toys for Tots instead of buying a gift for them. They don't have to worry about receiving another unnecessary gift from me and I don't feel like I am wasting my money.

Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Not only is that a great idea, Jody, but you got to know your new family member better and I'm sure he felt even more welcomed when his special interest was reflected in the gift. I think this is so important. If you know someone well enough to give them a gift, it makes it so much more special when you take the time to find out exactly what they would like most. I have received several gifts that I treasure because it is as if they were tailor-made for me.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I will regift if I know for sure that it won't be realized by the person who gave it to me, but honestly I haven't had to do that very often. Just lucky I guess! :)

Reactions: PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will regift if I know for sure that it won't be realized by the person who gave it to me, but honestly I haven't had to do that very often. Just lucky I guess! :)
I am lucky too AJ. I cannot remember too many times when I have received something that was not to my liking. We have a very small circle that we exchange with and they all know my likes and dislikes.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have regifted a few times but not many. Most of the time I send things off to the thrift shop instead. I do shop the thrift shops for gifts. I have found the perfect gifts for friends and family. It’s a great place to look for books, toys, dishes and things that are no longer available.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I don't see anything wrong with it unless of course it would be the person that gave it you or they are there and realize it. I haven't had a reason to do it but would consider it if it comes up.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I do shop the thrift shops for gifts. I have found the perfect gifts for friends and family. It’s a great place to look for books, toys, dishes and things that are no longer available.
I see nothing wrong with buying something new or gently used from the thrift store. You find some amazing things.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I see nothing wrong with buying something new or gently used from the thrift store. You find some amazing things.
You can also find some unbelievable bargains on things that are brand new, still with the original tags. How does it go, one person's trash is another's treasure?