Christmas in July 2021.....July 7th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today we talk about Christmas cards.
The first ever Christmas card was designed in 1843 by Sir Henry Coles. Sir Henry had just helped pass a reform where the cost of the English stamp was lowered to one penny. He wanted to encourage people to use the postal service to prove how popular it was. People were hand writing long letters to their friends and families and he thought that a Christmas card would cut down that time plus encourage people to use the post. A win-win.
The photo attached is the design of that very first Christmas card.

Although sending Christmas cards has become less popular over time many feel that it is a tradition worth holding onto so let's talk Christmas cards.

In your planner add a page or two devoted to cards. As with most planner sheets there are many available on line or if you are inclined design your own.

Who are you sending cards to this year? Make a list (check it twice, sorry had to do it). Include the kids teachers, your hairdresser, the garbage collector, the postman, your neighbours, all those that you would like to give a card to.

Are the addresses up to date, take time to update your address book now if needed.

Do you have cards already, do you need to buy or get some printed? If so contact the printer and ask about lead time and add this to the planner. How many cards do you need? Add this to the planner so that you can purchase them as soon as they are available in the stores.

Look for the salutation to write in your card, something that is meaningful to you and to the recipient, once again there are many ideas on the internet.

Are you adding a newsletter or family photo to the card. If adding a newsletter start making note of the items that you would like to add, Summer family trips etc. If adding a family photo do you already have one or do you need to contact a photographer and set up a photo shoot?

Do you have stamps? When will the post office release the Christmas stamps, add a reminder to you planner and also add it to your budget.
Check the postage dates, especially if sending international cards, the mail can take many weeks around Christmas.

Here at MHH we hold an annual Christmas card exchange, if it is something you have done in the past or something you would like to try, keep an eye out for the official sign up closer to Christmas.

Attachments

• Firstchristmascard.jpg
    Firstchristmascard.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I mainly do the exchange here, but am thinking this year I may order address labels and do cards so that family near and far have our new address for sure.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I use the cards I receive as a mantle decoration so I have to make sure that I send out a good number. Since I forget to do most other cards throughout the year the cost of the stamps averages out;)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Wouldn't it be lovely if our postal system lowered the price of sending Christmas cards. I am thinking a clear envelope with a beautiful card inside would be awesome. The postal service would see the card and know to charge less. In my dreams. Oh but I do like the thought of a clear envelope. Wonder if I could get a patent on that idea. Has anyone found Christmas postcards? I have looked a couple of time but was unsuccessful where I looked. Do you think old Christmas card covers could be used as postcards? Maybe I need to make sure I don't write on the cover side when I send cards.

I will have to start thinking on my list as I may add to it. The expense is a consideration.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Jody- I don't see why you couldn't use an old card cover as a postcard. As long as it has a stamp/address on it, what's the difference? Maybe something to ask the post office.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Good idea about the postcards. I send some to friends and a few to family. Postage out of Canada is $$ which is why I don't participate in the Christmas exchange here anymore :(
I was thinking of cutting down more (but not last year, with pandemic and stuck in houses it was a welcome sight for everyone I think).

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I didn't realize that Christmas cards have been around that long. I've been sending out cards and I plan to do so again this year. I usually do a small handwritten note to those that I don't see often. Those who I do see, just get my well wishes and a signature. The Christmas Card list will have to be updated due to moving and death.

I will pare down the list though. There are people who I've tried to stay in touch with who don't respond to email, calls or Christmas cards. I may add older neighbors and church folks though. I think they would appreciate a greeting card.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will be updating my list this year. There are some people that I have not heard from for a few years so I might stop sending to them.. I will participate in the card exchange here and have allowed for it in the budget.
Australia Post is very good at Christma. Normal domestic postage is $1.10 but at Christmas you can send a card for 65 cents. You just have to mark “card only” on the envelope.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
thanks for the info . i love sending cards and receiving them. a lot of people have stopped sending cards. sad

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I love the exchange here. A few times I just couldn't afford the postage. Hoping I can this year. I also do an exchange at church. Last year we were not able to have church, let alone a card exchange. I have the cards bought already.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My Christmas card list has definitely dwindled over the years. I still send out 3 times what we receive. But I enjoy the tradition so no plans to change it!!!

I have a reminder event in Google calendar to start checking the post office website in October to see what the new holiday stamp design is going to be.

I do like ordering return address stamps in a holiday design to cut down on labor addressing cards. I've been toying with the idea of using my Cricut to address the envelopes period - in a pretty font - need to spend some time on that and see if it is doable - that would be so cute!

I always have the cards written and addressed early - but have to wait until tree is up to take new photo of DS and the dogs - hurry up and get it printed so I can pop in the envelopes and get everything out the door!