Christmas in July 2021.....July 8th.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today we talk about food. Can't have Christmas without food can we?
When it comes to food there are several areas that we need to consider. We have the actual Christmas meal, freezer meals for the lead up to Christmas that may make our lives easier, we have food as gifts and baking.
Looking at our planner, let's make a list of what we might be preparing for Christmas 2021.

Gift giving/cookie exchange/baking. Is this something that you are planning to do this year. Start by thinking about who you may be giving the gift of food to. What are you going to make? Have you made the item before or is this the first time? Do you need to do a trial run to see if the recipe works?

Baking for the family and cookie exchanges are a lovely way of sharing your talents and home made treats to friends and family. Once again think about what you might want to bake. Look through old family recipe books, Christmas magazines, books from the library. Compile a list of interesting cookies and baked goods. Check the ingredient list. If there are too many ingredients or you think the instructions look a bit fiddly maybe this is not the item for you. I don't have a lot of ingredients in my baking cupboard and am often put off by the expense of buying all those items just for a batch of cookies. I just about always go to my tried and tested baked goods.
If you are going to gift baked goods or participate in a cookie exchange give some thought to how you are going to present the gift. There are many beautiful gift boxes made for this purpose. Add buying gift baskets or boxes to the planner so that you have ample supply before your baking begins.

Freezer meals are a great help in the busy weeks leading up to Christmas. With many more activities, cleaning days, school events and outings sometimes we are too tired to think about cooking a meal. There are many ideas of batch/freezer meals in the MHH kitchen chatter section. Think about what your go to meals may be and prepare one or two for in the freezer for those busy times. By having a few items in the freezer it will make life a little easier and also cut down on the expense of take out food.
Some cookies, pies and other items can be made and frozen now for use later in the year. If you have an abundance of fruit that is in season now, freeze the surplus.

The main meal!
Are you hosting a large family meal, will you be preparing a dish to take to a friends home? Are you hosting several times over the Holiday season?
Whatever you do as the main Christmas meal start making some plans now. Once again, will you be using family favourite dishes or are you trying something new? If you are trying something new I do suggest a trial run to see how it works especially if it is a major component of the meal.
Think about all the ingredients, the meats, the sides, the accompaniments, the desserts and the drinks. A lot of thought goes into planning the main event.
Think about what you served last year. Was it well received, did you prepare enough, was there too much, if it was stressful or too time consuming to prepare that dish maybe giv it a miss this year.

Now that you have given thought to what you will be preparing this year let's look at budget. Money is always a consideration when it comes to Christmas, it can be an expensive time of year. To lessen the blow on the budget try and divide the ingredient list over the remaining shopping trips.
On your shopping list add items that can be bought now. Butter if a good price can be bought now and frozen. Flour and sugar can be bought now and as long as it is stored properly will last until baking begins. Can you buy the vanilla and sprinkles now? Try and stockpile as much as you can now.

I look forward to reading about all the wonderful mouth watering treats that you are planning to serve your family for Christmas 2021

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I do a big breakfast for Christmas so I like casseroles that can be assembled and put in the fridge or freezer ahead.
I do bake cookies for the neighbors. I need to put some in Pinterest and get ideas

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I just love dreaming of Christmas here with you folks! :) After last year, I feel like I'm out of practice with my typical Christmas prep routines. In the past, we have done baking days but now it's just one dd at home and she doesn't like to be in the kitchen ( just like her mom. ;)) My bakers are in college or living on their own now. I hadn't even realized this until reading the post. This is a good time to have conversations with the family about baking Christmas cookies and perhaps adapting "traditions."

Freezer meals have saved me time and time again with unexpected family emergencies. I will plan for some freezer meals to be used in November and December when life gets a little busy with school Christmas concerts and family Christmas prep activities.

The main meal... well, last year we were all here. We did prime rib and salad. We didn't get together with extended family. My parents usually host but I'm not sure they'll be up to it. I don't know what we will do this year. I stopped hosting Christmas Eve with my siblings and parents two years ago. I wanted to focus on my immediate family that night.

I began hosting a brunch the Sunday before Christmas Eve. Last year, it became the Christmas Scavenger Hunt. We could do something fun but socially distant from one another. The down side was everyone had fun but me. I was home receiving all the pictures of everyone doing something fun. In the end, it did what I wanted it to do. Fun memories were created like my dh and dc running into my brother and his family at Chick-Fil-A and having an impromptu snowball fight. That was not planned.

I need to think about what to serve for a Sunday brunch. I've served an egg casserole, bread pudding, and fruit salad. It's getting harder and harder with so many people in my family having dietary restrictions (nut allergies, lactose intolerance, gluten free, no seeds, sugar free, etc). I may start asking them to bring a food to share. I usually make and serve everything.

For the last two years, the Christmas Eve meal was been a meat and cheese board, vegetables and dip and hot appetizers. Then we'd go to church. We'll probably do the same thing this year.

• Love
Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am hoping to have our family dinner the Saturday before Christmas. We have done this the past 2 years and it as been a great hit. We have a cheese and meat platter with crackers, fresh fruits and chocolate dipping sauces. We serve icy cold punch and apple cider. We sit and chat and have a great meal. After dinner we watch a movie and snack on popcorn, chips, savory crackers, soft drinks and bowls of lollies. By having our family dinner the week before it frees up the kids schedules and we still get to enjoy their company.

The kids will most likely come to our house for Christmas morning before heading off to DSIL parents home.

Christmas dinner will be much the same as the last few years. We do a feast of cold meats and various salads. Mum always makes a wonderful dessert. Mum hosts every year and her and I discuss the menu and we share the purchasing of the food. She will buy the ham, I will buy the turkey. She does the potato salad and I do the pasta salad. We get together at her house on Christmas eve and get it all done.

Very much looking forward to sharing the holidays with the family.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Have no idea this year. with mom not being up to par... Christmas eve is always at her house, either we bring something or one of my brothers or sis takes over (we live too far).

Then on NY's eve I used to have supper and evening for dh's family and my family (except last year just our children) and it was mil's bday and she passed away last year. ... so ... always said I wouldn't do supper anymore when mil passed away. don't know... we'll see.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We are down to just the 3 of us for our Christmas Eve dinner so it’s very manageable to do. I still make as much as I can ahead a time and freeze or prep the couple of days before hand. My grocery shopping and ham pick up day is already marked in my planner.

I am a baker so I keep supplies on hand all the time. I stock up on butter and flour when ever there is a sale and freeze it. I will need to order nuts in the fall after the harvest. There’s a reminder in my planner to order them. I have been baking less and less at Christmas since everyone is gone. My son doesn’t have much of a sweet tooth and rick and I do not need tons of cookies. I do make my grandmas cookies and give the majority of those away. There’s pretty much always cookie dough balls in the freezer. That works best for us year round. I can pull out a couple and bake them instead of having cookies laying around.

I love having freezer meals on hand all year long. So nice just pull from the freezer and much cheaper than ordering from the one place that delivers out here.

I’ve started looking for some nice bottles of wine for Christmas Eve. I’ve started buying 2 or 3 bottles that are normally out of our price range. We have enjoyed our little wine tastings on Christmas Eve. Getting them now is a little more budget friendly and there is a better selection.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Our family get together is has now been NYE. DS, a pastor, has Christmas Eve services to do and Dsonil's mother always does extended family Christmas on Christmas Eve. DS that is locally has GF's family Christmases to work around and DD that is local usually has to work Christmas so it works best to do NYE, With all the gluten free members in the family we find it easiest to do Mexican food. I need to ask Jessica for her Sheet Pan Nachos recipe. I think that and a couple of charcuterie boards and some deserts will work.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Our family get together is has now been NYE. DS, a pastor, has Christmas Eve services to do and Dsonil's mother always does extended family Christmas on Christmas Eve. DS that is locally has GF's family Christmases to work around and DD that is local usually has to work Christmas so it works best to do NYE, With all the gluten free members in the family we find it easiest to do Mexican food. I need to ask Jessica for her Sheet Pan Nachos recipe. I think that and a couple of charcuterie boards and some deserts will work.
It's super simple! I just put down tortilla chips and then top with cooked taco meat (you could really use whatever kind of meat you want like pulled pork or shredded chicken). After that I top with cheese and bake in the oven for long enough to melt the cheese. I think I do 350* for 5-10 minutes. Once out of the oven, I throw on lettuce, sour cream, guacomole, and whatever other toppings your people will eat. Or you could leave them on the side and let everyone dress up their nachos how they want. My family loves these and eat the heck out of them. I use the big industrial sized cookie sheets.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
It's super simple! I just put down tortilla chips and then top with cooked taco meat (you could really use whatever kind of meat you want like pulled pork or shredded chicken). After that I top with cheese and bake in the oven for long enough to melt the cheese. I think I do 350* for 5-10 minutes. Once out of the oven, I throw on lettuce, sour cream, guacomole, and whatever other toppings your people will eat. Or you could leave them on the side and let everyone dress up their nachos how they want. My family loves these and eat the heck out of them. I use the big industrial sized cookie sheets.
Thanks. I looked it up online and saw a lot of ingredients I didn’t think everyone would eat. I could easily do various toppings on the side.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This sounds amazing. I like the idea of making the nachos and having all the other items on the side. Delicious.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
.... This is a good time to have conversations with the family about baking Christmas cookies and perhaps adapting "traditions."
My daughter, too, has flown the nest. When she was away at college and was home on Christmas break, she wanted to do a day of baking cookies. That started a new tradition for us that has continued over the past 10+ years. We pick a day a week or 10 days before Christmas and spend the day baking together, making 6 or 8 family favorites that help us with good memories. Mid-afternoon, we'll take a photo of our glasses of egg-nog and plate of cookies, and we'll finish up with a warm winter dinner favorite - maybe chili that's been simmering all day in the crock pot, spaghetti, lasagna, or chicken a' la king. We've baked at each others' homes over the years, but most often she comes to my place with a bag of extra cookie sheets, utensils, etc. For me, it's not so much WHAT we make, but that we're spending the time making memories. Hope your bakers get to help create more memories this year!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I only have one child, who is now married, and no grands. My sisters have all married and have families of their own and their own Christmas traditions. My mother typically winters in the Rio Grande Valley and spends holidays with friends in her 55+ community (though I'm not sure if this will continue this winter or not). So, our Christmas Day tradition has typically been small -- late DH, me, DD, DSIL, and an occasional friend or two who have no family nearby. We always spent Christmas Eve with DH's brother and SIL before they moved, and with dear friends after that. Because we'd had such a heavy dinner on Christmas Eve, we'd host Christmas Day, with a mid-day brunch menu served after church and opening gifts. DD and DSIL now spend Christmas morning with his family (as DSILs parents fly to FL that afternoon) and I have been relegated to hosting afternoon/evening with a light dinner. I'll typically cook a spiral ham, but serve it with rolls for sandwiches, potato salad, etc., But this thread has me thinking about what else I could do. And also about maybe hosting my siblings for a pre-Christmas brunch this year? Will need to watch weather patterns, though. Time to start thinking ahead ...

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I needed nutmeg because I'm almost out. I noticed that many spices are unavailable at our local store. We're in Gulf Shores, AL for vacation. I needed Italian herbs, so ran to DG to get some. They're running low, too. That made me think I need to mention it to our little family on here since we do try to plan ahead. So...if you haven't checked your spice needs for your Christmas recipes, yet, you may need to do that and start trying to get them, whether online or at a local store.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for the reminder Jane. Every now and then I go to find something and it is not available.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It is a whole new ball game for me this coming holiday season. After putting on weight during 2020 I started a healthier routine in March of this year and after struggling to make progress joined Weight Watchers (now WW) about a month and a half ago. I'm down 15 lbs total now and determined to keep making progress, holidays or no holidays! :)

Add to that the fact that both my BIL and MIL have had major heart attacks in the last couple of months - DH has those same genes and he is "next" in line if we don't address the weight issue. He's on board - we just have to work around his tonsillectomy which is scheduled for end of this month! Once he is back on solid foods I am slapping him on WW with me!!!

No ifs, ands, buts or coconuts!

So what all that means is that I am going to be looking at my normal Christmas baking and meal planning with fresh eyes. I am going to have do some recipe testing for sure.

I will most likely still make some recipes for gifting just like I always have. Some I may be able to lighten. Lots of work ahead! I just tell myself it's a process!!!

My major planning tools - which I will continue to use are:

Make Ahead Meals spreadsheet where I plan freezer cooking
Christmas Baking word document where I plan cookies, candy, etc. for gifting
Halloween to New Years Meal Planner
Master Holiday Grocery List - All items from the meal planner broken down by ingredient, perishable vs. non

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
No ifs, ands, buts or coconuts!
I lovethis saying. Congratulations on the weight loss, it is something that I have struggled with for years. Good luck for DH's procedure.