Christmas in July 2021.....July 9th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas is the most magical time of the year. It can also be a tiring and stressful time. Today we talk self care.
As the primary Christmas organisers some times we are so focused on achieving every thing on our to do lists that we forget to look out for ourselves. Sitting watching the family enjoy their Christmas is not enjoyable for us if we are exhausted.
This year make some notes in the planner about ways to make life just a little easier.....here are some suggestions.

Ask for help/delegate. Christmas is a family affair and the prep should be shared. Ask for help with some of the planning. Our children and spouses should be encouraged to help where they can. Think of ways that they can become involved, I am sure that they will love to help.

Plan some time for your self. Make a coffee date or a lunch date with a friend, enjoy some time away from the prep. Schedule some time for a bit of pampering, make a manicure/pedicure appointment, don't forget to book a hair appointment, if you love a massage book one in. If you love walking or jogging make sure that you find time to do that.
Ensure that when things are busy at home you take some time out to enjoy a quiet coffee, watch a Christmas movie or read a book, take a long bath, anything that you enjoy that will refresh you.
Spread chores out over the week so that the days are not overwhelming, order some take out or use a freezer meal if you are too tired to cook, a treat for you and the family.

Start thinking about items that you might need to stock up on for all those cough, colds and ailments that may present in the lead up to Christmas. With colder weather it is wise to have a good supply of Vitamins, tissues, chest rub, cold remedies, Sprite, whatever you normally have on hand in case of illnesses. Check current supplies, are they still in date, are you running low? Add it all to the planner now so that if an illness strikes you will be prepared.
Try to get enough rest, develop good night time routines so that you are as refreshed as possible. This will be of benefit not only during the holiday season but for the rest of the year as well.

Look after yourself and really enjoy this wonderful time of the year.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Last year with pandemia we stayed home... it was soooo relaxing instead of running around from one place to the other. we had time to relax and rest.

This year is back to 'normal' but will try to do less stress. Figured if we don't have exactly the same things for the NY's supper and buffet , it'll still work. I might buy more 'all ready' instead of making so much. Last few years desserts have been alot of leftovers.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
thank you great suggestions. working in retail is stressful around the holidays. its been hard then have to do all my stuff for the holidays. but now since i only work weekends it will be better. i want to enjoy the time with my family and plan all out. ive started shopping already so that will help. i always say im not going to put everything out like decorations . but i end up doing it bc i love to decorate. just not packing it up to put away. im looking fwd to getting started. i have a small tree up now that i do for the different holidays. since the 4th is over trying to decide what to do next. its to early for fall decorations even though they are in the store . ill think of something. i will plan on doing some self care though. thanks again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thankfully my days of exhaustion are gone. I’ve always been good at delegating, planning and organizing. But working 12 hour nights I would still be running on no sleep no matter what.

My husband has always been a big help, I can give him a list with a time table and everything gets done. One of our traditions is I sit on the couch and drink coffee while he tidied up the guest bath and vacuums the living room. He also orders dinner for 12/23 to give me a break.

My pampering appointments will booked out as I can. We have our couples mani/ pedi appointments booked through January.

Once the house is decorated I’ve started getting up early (before the sun comes up) and sitting in the sunroom with my coffee and enjoying my Christmas tree. I usually put some Christmas music on too. Snuggled under a quilt I just look at my tree. I don’t worry about what needs done or look at my phone, I just enjoy the moment.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
i love to decorate. just not packing it up to put away.
I don't like packing it all away either. It makes me feel sad. Two years ago, we started an Undecorating Party and that has helped tremendously. I save the "sad" parts of undecorating like the Nativity set and Christmas tree for this day, in addition to whatever else I just never got to putting away. We have fun music playing and we undecorate the house. We have food and drink for everyone to snack on. (It's usually what ever holiday food that still needs to be finished.) This has been good for me. It gets done faster and I don't feel as sad about the holiday being over. It was much more emotionally harder when I was doing the undecorating by myself.

These are wonderful reminders. Delegating at Christmas is the hardest thing for me to do because of my perfectionism and I'm the one who seems to like Christmas the most. However, as Christmas has changed how it looks in our family over the last few years, it's been easier to delegate. If I decided that a "tradition" wasn't worth my time anymore but a family member wanted to do it, then they took over running that "tradition." Traditions done without love and joy only breed resentment. Who wants resentment to attend a family function especially at Christmas? Not me. That's been part of my self-care.

I use to work retail at Christmas so I know how difficult people can be but I do like to "window shop" right before Christmas. It's nice to go out without a shopping list for others and just enjoy the atmosphere. Last year I didn't do that but if things look better, I hope to do that this year.

I love to wrap gifts in the family room while watching a Hallmark Christmas movie. Because I had people home all day with online classes/work, I wasn't able to wrap in our family room. Instead I wrapped in my bedroom and watched some Christmas movies and Christmas decorating/craft videos on my lap top. This year should be different since the schools are requiring vaccinations and dh's work is transitioning from home to the office in the fall.

Each October for the last few years, I've evaluated my sleep, diet and exercise patterns. I try to get back to better habits that I may have dropped in the summer. I know life gets busier here with holiday prep. I want to be able to handle the stress of being in two places at once. :);)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas is the most magical time of the year. It can also be a tiring and stressful time. Today we talk self care.
As the primary Christmas organisers some times we are so focused on achieving every thing on our to do lists that we forget to look out for ourselves. Sitting watching the family enjoy their Christmas is not enjoyable for us if we are exhausted.
This year make some notes in the planner about ways to make life just a little easier.....here are some suggestions.

Ask for help/delegate. Christmas is a family affair and the prep should be shared. Ask for help with some of the planning. Our children and spouses should be encouraged to help where they can. Think of ways that they can become involved, I am sure that they will love to help.

Plan some time for your self. Make a coffee date or a lunch date with a friend, enjoy some time away from the prep. Schedule some time for a bit of pampering, make a manicure/pedicure appointment, don't forget to book a hair appointment, if you love a massage book one in. If you love walking or jogging make sure that you find time to do that.
Ensure that when things are busy at home you take some time out to enjoy a quiet coffee, watch a Christmas movie or read a book, take a long bath, anything that you enjoy that will refresh you.
Spread chores out over the week so that the days are not overwhelming, order some take out or use a freezer meal if you are too tired to cook, a treat for you and the family.

Start thinking about items that you might need to stock up on for all those cough, colds and ailments that may present in the lead up to Christmas. With colder weather it is wise to have a good supply of Vitamins, tissues, chest rub, cold remedies, Sprite, whatever you normally have on hand in case of illnesses. Check current supplies, are they still in date, are you running low? Add it all to the planner now so that if an illness strikes you will be prepared.
Try to get enough rest, develop good night time routines so that you are as refreshed as possible. This will be of benefit not only during the holiday season but for the rest of the year as well.

Look after yourself and really enjoy this wonderful time of the year.
Revisiting this post from CIJ this year. It is all about self care.
As we get closer and closer to Christmas it is easy to get overwhelmed with what needs to be done and the pressures on us. Take a few moments to indulge in some self care, sit and relax when you can.
My wish for you all is that you have a restful, relaxing lead up to Christmas and that you enjoy every minute of this wonderful time.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have less to do also. No hair or nail appointments, no going out for lunches/dinners and no work party.
It is nice to have to whole week ahead to do with what I like.