Christmas in July 2022 - Day Eight Put it on the Table - Tablescapes

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Hello everyone! I’m thrilled to be back on the Forums and your hostess this morning for Put it on the Table, the theme for 8-10 July. I’ve been a huge fan of Food Network chef and cookbook author Sandra Lee and her Semi-Homemade style of cooking and entertaining – 70% prepared foods and 30% fresh really fit my lifestyle in recent years. I loved to watch her whip up a themed meal and finish it off with an inventive cocktail and a beautiful tablescape to complement the theme.

Sandra Lee is credited with using the term tablescape in 2003 but in fact, competitive tablescaping (from the words table and landscaping) traces back to at least the 1930s when competitions took place at county fairs and events across the country. Many of us have been doing a simplified version of tablescaping at home for years – in our house it was “Will you set the table?” which meant the placement of the plates and utensils, placemats and napkins and something a little extra in the middle such as a vase of flowers. Voila, a tablescape!

As entertaining and the desire to make meals more pleasing has increased, tablescapes have taken on a new dimension. Instagram has brought us a myriad of ideas as people post photos of their meals and creative tablescapes, #tabledecor and #tablesetting have been shared several million times. Pinterest has been an incredible resource for ideas and home décor stores have displays to tempt you to purchase additional items. No more just plates, utensils, simple table linens, and a little something extra in the middle, it’s time for a full-on display to wow your dinner guests.

Tablescapes start with table linens – a tablecloth, runner, or placemats and napkins, plates and glassware often complement a theme, and then some sort of centerpiece is crafted along with individual place cards and other personalized items at each place setting. The sky is the limit and just about anything can contribute to a tablescape. In the next couple of days, I’ll show you some holiday examples but today, tell us about a tablescape you designed. You may not have referred to it at a tablescape at the time but it was.

Pamela
Navy wife, mother of a horse-crazy adult daughter, born American but British at heart, and lover of all things Christmas!

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I use to follow a website called Naps on the Porch, I believe that was what it was called. And every Thursday she had Tablescape Thursday, haven’t read her blog in a long time but she had some really great tablescapes! I used to get a lot of ideas from there.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Welcome back Pamela!

Love the idea of tablescapes. If clutter can be deemed a tablescape I've been doing it all along;).

Looking forward to some wonderful ideas for the holidays.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I'm going to preface this by saying that I live alone and my DD is grown and married, no grandchildren. So, know that my holiday entertaining is primarily all adults. (+ 2 dogs -- mine and DDs, who do well together).

I love a holiday tablecloth and runner! I'll typically keep a more casual tablecloth and runner on pre- and post-Christmas Day, as I have an open concept living/dining room in my townhouse. I'll do the same for my small everyday table in my kitchenette area -- If not a casual tablecloth, at least red placemats and a greenery wreath around the pillar candle holder I keep there (of course, with a red 4-6" pillar candle).

During pre-Christmas gatherings, I'll leave it casual -- a print or plaid tablecloth, tall red pillar candle in a hurricane with a greenery wreath. I'll add some color on serving platters and veggie trays, using red or Christmas crockery pieces I've added over the years. I have several Winterberry pieces that I'll interject into my tablescape and buffet, and holiday rocks glasses and coffee mugs. Depending on the group I'm hosting, I did pick up a Christmas dinnerware set on FB Marketplace a couple of years ago -- white with holly border. I think I gave $25 for service for 8 + salt, pepper, sugar, and creamer, and another $10 for a couple of additional serving pieces the woman later found. It's usually just a few people here, so I don't always pull that dinnerware out.

For Christmas Day, I'll go more formal, depending on who I'm hosting. If it's just my DD, SIL, and a few extras for brunch or a light, light dinner, I may leave it casual and use the holiday dinnerware (above). But, usually it's a more formal dinner, with a white or glittery table cloth and a more formal runner. I have napkins that are white with gold and silver snowflakes. On the runner, I'll add numerous candlesticks with a variety of heights of tapers, with a little greenery, leaving space for serving pieces that will need to remain on the table. Rather than using all of the china pieces, I'll inject some color with green or red glass salad plates and include some red Marquis wine glasses, along with my crystal water goblets. I'll use my china serving pieces for meats and potatoes, but have accumulated several other holiday casseroles and antique silverplate serving pieces (from my MIL), that I'll use, as well. I just try to make it special, in some way, to add that "special" layer to my holiday table.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
farmerswife- I remember that site and blog!
Beautiful tablescapes!!!!

I love a great tablescape!

For Christmas- we have so many gathering around the table, it is hard to get super creative.
BUT- for New Year's Eve, I love to decorate the table with silver, glitter. As the table serves more as a buffet station.
Come and go with plates of snack.s.

I didn't know that Sandra Lee was credited with coming up the term!! Very cool.

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!! @PamelaG

Oh, you all are so inspiring! I haven't dabbled in tablescapes. I feel like I am a creative person and would enjoy this so maybe ... this year I will give it a try. I have always been the kind of person that has meals where it's all in the pots on the stove and you fill your plate and sit down at the table. ;) (that's not decorated) LOL

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have never been one to decorate the table. Before our last move I did have the wall the table was against decorated with nuns during the year and would change it out to Christmas items during the season. Do like to have Christmas paper napkins in a holder so I guess I could count that….

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I could put a lot more effort into my decorating, especially the table. Thanks for this beautiful inspiration.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have had a set of Snowman dessert plates and pedestal mugs for years. I used regular plates as chargers. I grew a little tired of them and have been wanting to find gingerbread men/houses. Not easy to find what I like. My thought is to get clear plates from the $ Tree and Mod Podge a fabric to the underside so we could eat off the plate. Table scape would be small birdhouse decorated like gingerbread houses, bottle Christmas trees and small cookies made from applesauce cinnamon dough scattered around the table. A white linen table cloth to represent snow would be used. Just some thoughts I’ve had.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have always been the kind of person that has meals where it's all in the pots on the stove and you fill your plate and sit down at the table.
You could still serve from the stove and counter, buffet style, and have the table decorated. Guests simply bring their plate to the kitchen. On other holidays and gatherings, I often serve from my kitchen island. Or, will pass serving dishes and bring what's left to the kitchen island, keeping the table clearer, and if anyone wants seconds, they can refill from my kitchen.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do prefer to serve buffet style from our kitchen. Everyone gets what they want and do not have to keep asking to pass something. Now if I had a living in butler I might feel differently. LOL

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
... I did have the wall the table was against decorated with nuns during the year and would change it out ...
Decorate with 'nuns'?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Decorate with 'nuns'?
Appartently I never took a photo once I had the wall above the table decorated but here the start of the wallB1985AA9-B633-4C40-BEC5-C6BED75CC697.jpegB89A6A95-3004-46E7-A413-4C5974E38F7C.jpeg and a photo of the rest of the nuns. (Son making cookies, and DD (short one) with her friend.)

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Appartently I never took a photo once I had the wall above the table decorated but here the start of the wall and a photo of the rest of the nuns. (Son making cookies, and DD (short one) with her friend.)
Awesome nuns! And … rolling pins!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I love looking at the beautiful tablescapes but for me they don’t seem to work when we are having dinner.
I always have my dining room table decorated for the particular season. I’ve always moved my decorations (usually some type of small floral, maybe a candle or 2) off the table if we had a large group for dinner or to the end of the table if it’s a small group. I must have a narrow table or serve too much food because there ends up with way too much stuff on the table. Even if I serve buffet style I feel the table is packed and awkward. I do like to use nice seasonal linen tablecloths and napkins. We do use our good china. I’ve always wanted Christmas china but have always seen it as a storage problem.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I get it, storage of Christmas dishes. I have (from thrift stores) 4 Christmas plates, 4 Christmas glasses, 8 Christmas mugs, and one snowman shaped cookie keeper sectional container thingy that my sis gave me years ago. That's it. They sit in a cupboard above the refrig because ... what else goes in that cabinet no one can ever reach! LOL Once a year, I get a chair to get stuff down. LOL

When the kids were little, I did have plastic fun bowls and cups and more items. But alas ... I have purged and it works for me now. :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This discussion about the cabinet above the stove has gotten me to wondering if I still have a unpacked kitchen box somewhere. I have not seen my Christmas platters since our move three years ago. I have wondered where they were but it was always right at Christmas so I would forget during the Christmas rush.