Christmas in July - Day 29 Put It on the Calendar

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Come join us as we look at Advent – the time leading up to the anticipation of Christ’s birth and, also, the second coming of Christ.

Advent started (as well as can be determined) in the late 4th century. It is considered a time of reflecting on how to prepare one’s heart and home for Christ’s birth. The focus for faith communities and families is to remember, through prayer, reflection, special music (could that be where we got cantatas during the Christmas season?), and good deeds, what the true meaning of Jesus’ birth is. It once included fasting three days a week, but most modern churches have dropped that tradition.

Advent begins on the fourth Sunday before Christmas. This year, Advent will be observed beginning Sunday, November 27, 2022, and end Saturday, December 24, 2022. Each week has a different focus which is highlighted by the lighting of candles symbolizing hope, love, joy, and peace. Many modern advent observances include a 5th candle which represents the purity of Christ, our sinless, pure Savior.

Most Christian churches celebrate Advent by having an Advent Wreath where one candle is lit each week, along with Liturgical readings. Many families celebrate Advent in their own homes. Readings for both settings can be found with an Internet search.

Let’s look at what goes into an Advent Wreath. First, start with a wreath.

The wreath is made with evergreens which symbolize everlasting life found in Christ. The circle shape of the wreath reminds one that God’s love is unending, that through Christ, one has eternal life, and of the eternity of God.

Some choices for the wreath include:

• Laurel which symbolizes victory over persecution and suffering.
  • Pine, holly, yew which signify immortality.
  • Cedar which symbolizes strength and healing.
  • Pinecones, representing life and resurrection.
Any one or all can be used in the creating of the wreath.

All candles are added to the wreath at once, but only one is lit each week on the Sunday of that week.

The first candle is purple, represents HOPE – for the anticipated coming of the Messiah. It is sometimes called the “Prophecy Candle,” in remembrance of the prophets, especially Isiah who foretold the birth of Christ. Purple is a liturgical color that signifies a time of prayer, penance, and sacrifice.

The second candle is also purple and represents FAITH. It may be referred to as the “Bethlehem Candle,” as a reminder of Joseph and Mary’s journey to Bethlehem.

The third candle is pink and represents JOY. Often called the “Shepherd’s Candle,” who were the first to whom the birth of Christ was announced, it reminds one of the joy the world felt at Jesus’ birth.

The fourth candle is purple, as well, and symbolizes PEACE. It may be referred to as the “Angel’s Candle” who came to proclaim the birth of Christ. It marks the final week of prayer and penance.

A modern adaptation of the wreath added a fifth candle, which is white, is placed in the center of the wreath, and whose color was chosen to represent the purity of Christ, who lived a sinless life. It is lit on Christmas Eve.

Many tutorials are available that show how to make one. This was one of my favorites. It’s to the point without a lot of extraneous talking. (I want a kitchen like hers!)

Of course, many observe the Advent of Christmas by starting a countdown on the first day of December where a small token is opened each day until Christmas day. This can be done in so many ways. The possibilities are endless. The gifts can be as small or as elaborate as one wants. The focus can be simply counting the days until Christmas or of events leading to the birth of Christ. I have one that tells the story of Christ’s birth Each day a small ornament is hung until on Christmas day, Jesus in the manger is hung.

We’ll take a look at Advent celebrations that start on December 1st tomorrow.

How do you observe Advent? Is it a part of your celebration? Do you have pictures you’d like to share?

Merry Christmas and Happy Advent celebrating!

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just sent you a message.

Reactions: missjane

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
In all my 70 years I have never known anyone who did much for Advent.

Reactions: jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
In all my 70 years I have never known anyone who did much for Advent.
My gram always had an advent wreath on her coffee table, but I never remember seeing it lit or any sign of the candles having been lit. We always lit a candle in our Sunday School classroom and in the sanctuary during the main sermon. But we did not do it at home. Maybe it's time to change that.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Her wreath is beautiful! Oh, my... the kitchen...

We celebrate Advent in our home. You know, I don't think I ever took pictures of us celebrating Advent. When the kids were younger, I would read a chapter each day from one of the Advent books by Arnold Ytreeide. While I read the chapter, the kids would have a piece of candy from their Advent candy calendars. They loved those stories and the candy that went with it. I don't read aloud anymore but every now and then I do read those stories for myself.

Our advent wreath is simple. I assemble the four candles in a circle on platter and lay fresh greenery around the base. Each night, we light the candles at dinner and then do a Jesse Tree scripture reading. Another thing we do for Advent (and then use again at Lent/Easter with extensions) is the Cradle to Cross wreath. The figure of Mary on the donkey and one white candle gets moved one slot each day.

From December 17th - December 23rd, we add in one additional scripture from the O Antiphons. The hymn, "O come, O come, Emmanuel" is based on these scripture verses. When we start the O Antiphons at dinner, we know we are close and the excitement for Christmas builds.

We go to Christmas Eve Vigil on December 24th and start celebrating Christmas after that.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I have an advent calendar for DS and DDIL

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have chocolate advent calendars for the kids.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
One of my favorite things at church is during advent when we start the service by lighting the advent calendars on the wreath.
Different people are chosen- families, single people, elderly couples- who each week come up, read a little something and then light the candle for that week.
It always fills me with emotion.
I do know some families that have a small advent wreath that they light each week.
Very special.

Annie

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I came across this book and will be going through it for the first time this year. It for Advent through Epiphany
I also got the one for Easter - for Lent through Easter.
I will give you a review after I have a chance to use it once. I got it to lessen the focus on the commercial side of Christmas and more on the Birth of Our Savior.

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Love the video and her kitchen!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Her wreath is beautiful! Oh, my... the kitchen...

We celebrate Advent in our home. You know, I don't think I ever took pictures of us celebrating Advent. When the kids were younger, I would read a chapter each day from one of the Advent books by Arnold Ytreeide. While I read the chapter, the kids would have a piece of candy from their Advent candy calendars. They loved those stories and the candy that went with it. I don't read aloud anymore but every now and then I do read those stories for myself.

Our advent wreath is simple. I assemble the four candles in a circle on platter and lay fresh greenery around the base. Each night, we light the candles at dinner and then do a Jesse Tree scripture reading. Another thing we do for Advent (and then use again at Lent/Easter with extensions) is the Cradle to Cross wreath. The figure of Mary on the donkey and one white candle gets moved one slot each day.

From December 17th - December 23rd, we add in one additional scripture from the O Antiphons. The hymn, "O come, O come, Emmanuel" is based on these scripture verses. When we start the O Antiphons at dinner, we know we are close and the excitement for Christmas builds.

We go to Christmas Eve Vigil on December 24th and start celebrating Christmas after that.
I saw the information about a Jesse Tree, which I had never heard of, but didn't include it in my post. I'm glad you put it on here!