Christmas In July - July 11, 2021 - Stocking Up!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Let's being the food portion of Christmas in July by finding out what's in our holiday pantry. What foods do you stock up on throughout the year to have on hand for holiday cooking and last minute entertaining?

I like to have Manchengo cheese from Costco, some sopressata sausage and mozzarella to serve with crackers and also some red peppers and artichoke hearts in case I want to make a full antipasto plate.

As far as cooking staples go, one can never have enough chocolate chips, flour or sugar!

What are your faves?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Its hot here so we stock up on lots of different drinks. We keep the fridge pretty stocked in case people pop in.
Salad ingredients are a must. Our stockpile will be filled with tinned beetroot, corn and pineapple and jars of olives, pickles, sundried tomatoes. Different tinned fruits are a staple in out pantry. I will start buying those items over the next few weeks.
Like Debbie, we always have an assortment of cheese and meats in the fridge that we use for quick dinners or to make a platter for guests.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I stock up on baking ingredients as well as what I need for Chai Latte Mix and Hot Chocolate Mix. Chex mix is always a must too. We like to go to a Farm and Fleet to purchase our candies and nuts. I try to go there when they open "Toyland" about mid October. I can usually find ornaments, books, puzzles, and toys for the girls. They also have winter snow gear too.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Baking ingredients are usually always stocked here. This year may be a bit different since we are back "home" and may have different activities or events going on so I may need to have other stuff on hand for get togethers and such.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We stock up on flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, yeast, cinnamon, Star anise, anise, nutmeg, ginger, clove, allspice, cardamom mace, and salt. Usually around Halloween, I like to pick up the dried fruit for the breads and cookies that I make: citron, golden raisins, currants, cranberries and raisins.

We typically host two to three get togethers at our house. All three get togethers are different: a Sunday brunch, an ice skating afternoon with cookies and hot chocolate and a morning with baked goods and coffee/tea. We stock up on hot chocolate, coffee and tea. Then we use the baked goods that we made.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I usually stock up on baking items starting in November....flour, evaporated milk, sugar, brown sugar, chocolate chips, caramel bits, butter, cream cheese, holiday sprinkles and paper liners.

We also stock up on cheese, crackers, kielbasas for savory snacks.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I usually stock up on baking items starting in November.
I start around here for baking item as well. I have a list made already and will pick items up earlier if I see them for a good price.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I will stock up on frozen veggies for quick dinners during the busy season as well as meats, cheeses, canned goods and keto friendly snacks such as nuts, sugar free chocolate chips and unsweetened chocolate. I also will buy sweeteners in various forms, almond flour and coconut flour for holiday goodies. Closer in to the holiday I’ll add cream cheese and butter to my list. I will also add cocoa powder, vanilla and other extracts and flavorings.
I have definitely changed the way I eat, shop and cook!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I always keep cream cheese in my refrigerator to mix up with some pepper relish or peach habanero preserves for a spread to serve with crackers. I'll also make sure to have some summer sausage or salami and assorted hard cheeses on hand to slice to be able to quickly assemble a charcuterie tray, if needed. Artichoke hearts, small cans of diced chilis, and grated parmesan are on hand, too, and are good for a hot dip to serve at holiday gatherings. For baking, chips are a must, and I have a couple of cookie recipes that call for maraschino cherries, so you'll always find a couple of jars in my pantry. As Christmas gets closer, I'll pick up my walnuts, pecans, and shredded coconut, as I want those fresh, and flour and sugar (white and brown) get added when they go on sale.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is such a wonderful thread. I can only just imagine what you are all going to prepare with these delicious ingredients in the pantry.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Baking supplies are the first thing I think of when stocking up for the holidays! I typically plan baking and holiday menus around this point in the year and then start picking up non-perishable items - or ones that can be frozen - a little at a time.

I think I will start the stocking up sooner rather than later this year in light of all the shortages we seem to be experiencing right now!

Flour, sugar, butter, cocoa powder, chocolate chips are always on the list! I need to order more vanilla beans and start another jar of vanilla extract! I'm pretty well stocked up on herbs and spices but need to buy cardamon. Nuts are a good one to buy ahead and freeze.

I may not do any canning this year - seems to be every other year for me lately - but late summer is a good time to put up preserves, fruit butters, sauces, etc. in jars for the coming holiday season and beyond.

I read an article this morning that shortages to expect in US include chicken, bacon, hotdogs, imported items like coffee, cheese and olive oil. Also plastic packaging is an issue - thinking I need to grab another case or two of Ziploc bags at Sams soon. But I imagine that issue will trickle down to any item that COMES in plastic packaging. I heard that a lot of soft drink companies have already been hit by this and some have gone back to glass bottles!!!

And, as always, toilet paper made the list! LOL We still have a decent supply but I'm thinking I'm juuuuuuussst going to top it off!!!

I'm also going to make a list of illness related items for cold and flu season and make plans to have those things stocked in advance - being mindful of expiration dates - but I'd like to avoid a last minute panic over finding certain items!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ, Plastic too???? So happy I bought shrink wrap bags at the dollar tree today. I guess I better restock the pantry now instead of waiting. I’ve been trying to use up some things.
I buy a pack toilet paper every time I shop if they have my brand. but I have pretty much always done that. I guess I have toilet paper issues.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, Plastic too???? So happy I bought shrink wrap bags at the dollar tree today. I guess I better restock the pantry now instead of waiting. I’ve been trying to use up some things.
I buy a pack toilet paper every time I shop if they have my brand. but I have pretty much always done that. I guess I have toilet paper issues.
I will sit down this week and look at all things I need for Christmas and add them to the planner. I did not even consider shortages in plastics. This pandemic is very wide reaching.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I have started ordering toilet paper from a company called "Who Gives a Crap." (sorry!) The website is www.whogivesacrap.org.
The toilet paper has no dyes, fillers, or scent. It's 100% bamboo. A portion of the proceeds help build toilets in countries/communities where there are no toilets. It's a little more expensive than what is in the stores, though. It's shipped to your home on a recurring order until you "unsubscribe." Thought some of you may be interested!

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
I would like to make a cheese ball this year, maybe I will do a practice one for Halloween.
and cinnamon sticks, oranges, etc for simmering on the stove, another thing I have always wanted to make and haven't!

Laurie
Word for 2021 JOY

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are in lock down here in Australia. I am running 2 lists at the moment. My what I really need list and my what will I need for Christmas list (just in case)
May I suggest that you give thought to what you might need to do in case the COVID situation becomes worse. Forward planning may make the difference.