Christmas in July - July 14, 2021 - Food gifts

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
What is your favorite food gift to give? What is your favorite food gift to receive?

Everyone loves oreos dipped in chocolate and it’s very easy to make. As for gifts to receive -dark chocolate is high on my list but any food gift is appreciated:)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I too do chocolate covered Oreos. My Mum is a great baker and I often gift her fruit mince pies. We will sometimes bottle lemonade.
We do a thing called nuts and bolts which is always a great hit.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Is this a snack mix?
Yes, it is. See recipe. If Nutrigrain is not available I believe you can try Cheerios. Not sure why it is called Nuts and Bolts!!!

Nutri-Grain® Nuts & Bolts​

Nutri-Grain Nuts and Bolts is a crunchy, tasty, sweet and savoury snack that is great for BBQs, movie nights or hiking on the go!

INGREDIENTS​

• 250g butter
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 500g Kellogg’s® Nutri-Grain®
  • 500g salted mixed nuts

Product Needed​

Kellogg's®  Nutri-Grain® Cereal Box

kelloggs-nutrigrain-nuts-bolts

DIRECTIONS​

1. Melt oil and butter together over low heat.
2. Add worcestershire sauce, garlic salt, paprika and cayenne pepper to butter/oil mixture.
3. Combine Nutri-Grain and mixed nuts and spread evenly into a large baking dish.
4. Pour butter/oil mixture over Nutri-Grain and nuts and bake in a slow oven (125ºC) for approximately one hour, turning every 15 minutes with an egg slice.
5. Allow to cool before serving.
6. Store in an airtight container.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I usually do an assortment of cookies for friends. Not sure what I'll do this year since I'll be working but most likely a condensed version.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We gift cookie plates to some of our neighbors.

This year, I want to try some Christmas Jam (cranberry/strawberry) for possible hostess and/or girlfriend gifts.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We usually do an assortment of cookies and always the pretzel with kisses and m&m candy. The only food gift I get is a homemade cheesecake from the neighbors. I need new friends and neighbors;)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Standard holiday food gifting is typically baking cookies and giving out platters or shipping tins of them. In a "normal" year I also bake two or three big batches of Pioneer Woman Cinnamon Rolls and give those out like crazy!

Many years I will also do themed gift baskets - filled with non-perishable items for breakfast, all things Italian or Mexican, I did a Salad themed basket once.

Honestly I never receive food gifts at the holidays - well almost never. Last year SIL gave us a couple kinds of fudge and they were lovely!!!

My favorite thing to get would be chocolate covered raisins :)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I often gift mini loaves of assorted breads, usually zucchini nut, my grandmother's raisin nut bread, and either banana bread (my great grandmother's recipe) or cranberry orange (yet to find a recipe I want to make again). And, I've also gifted 4-oz. jars of homemade jams and relishes. The variety depends on what fruits have done well in our region, as I buy locally grown produce only. Love getting sauces and flavored oils and vinegars, as well as cookies

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
One thing I have done that is a little different is give to CW's, friends, neighbors- New Years Eve packs.

I give them: Home made spinach dip, an assortment of crackers, a cheese ball, and a summer sausage.

My favorite thing to receive is when my brother makes what our Dad did- sugar cookies and candy balls.

Annie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One thing I have done that is a little different is give to CW's, friends, neighbors- New Years Eve packs.
What a great idea. I have never thought of doing this but think it is wonderful.