Christmas in July - July 15, 2021 -

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Most cultures have winter holidays that share the idea of light breaking through darkness. Celebrate by cooking a dish that is traditional for one of these holidays and/or share your own special holiday tradition with us!

Diwali - November 4, 2021
Diwali, aka “festival of lights” is a 5 day holiday and one of the major festivals celebrated by Hindus, Jains, Sikhs and some Buddhists. Diwali is a time of feasting and lighting oil lamps and stringing twinkling lights throughout the home. Samosas are a tasty appetizer and even your vegetarian friends should like them.

Samosas

• 1/2 lb. (0.2 kg) potatoes, peeled
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/4 small onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup green peas, smashed
  • 1 tablespoon curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • salt to taste
  • 1 egg white
  • spring roll wrappers, cut into 3 equal-sized rectangle pieces
  • oil for deep-frying
Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes or until they are completely cooked through. Drained and let cool. Peel off the potato skin and break and mash the potatoes using the back of a spoon.

Heat up a skillet and add the oil. Saute the onion until aromatic before adding he potatoes and green peas, curry powder, chili powder, sugar, and salt. Cook for a a few minutes. Remove from the skillet and let cool.

Scoop 1 heaping teaspoon of the filling and place at the top center part of a piece of wrapper. Brush the outer edges of the wrapper with the egg white, fold and form the Samosa into a triangle. Pinch the edges and all corners to make sure they are sealed tight and there is no leakage. Repeat the same until the filling is used up.

Deep fry the samosa at 350°F (176°C) until golden brown. Remove from the oil using a strainer or slotted spoon, and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve warm.

.Hanukkah November 28, 2021
Hanukkah is an 8 day festival celebrated by Jewish people throughout the world. It commemorates the tradition that although there was only enough oil in the Temple lamp to last one night, it actually lasted for eight nights! Jews celebrate by lighting candles each night and eating foods fried in oil such as jelly donuts (sufganyot) and potato pancakes (latkes).

Potato Panckakes (Latkes)

This is the basic recipe I work with at my yearly Hanukkah party; I have to multiply it several timesJ

Latkes

4-5 large potatoes

1 medium onion

2 eggs

Kosher salt and pepper

¼ cup matzoh meal

Oil for frying

Peel potatoes, chop onion and process in food processor until it looks like it was shredded by hand on a hand held grater. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix. Drop batter by tablespoons into 1” of hot oil. When first side is browned, carefully flip it. Remove and drain on paper towels. Change the oil as it darkens. Can be kept warm in the oven but try to eat them the same day. Serve with homemade applesauce and/or sour cream. I prefer applesauce!

Bodhi Day – December 8, 2021
Bodhi Day is a Buddhist celebrates the day in which Siddhartha Gautama sat underneath the Bodhi (fig) tree and attained enlightenment. The holiday is celebrated by stringing lights and beads on trees and studying the teachings of the Buddha. Fig pudding would be traditional because of the Bodhi tree. However, it is also traditional to have a simple meal of rice and milk because that is what the Buddha ate upon achieving enlightenment.

I haven’t tried this yet, but I do like figs

Fig Pudding​

16 oz. dried figs

1 3/4 cups milk

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 cup sugar

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp ground nutmeg

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1/2 cup melted butter

1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs

1 tbsp grated orange peel

In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and chopped figs over medium-low heat, do not bring to a boil.

Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

In a medium bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs thoroughly. Add the butter, breadcrumbs, orange peel, and fig mixture.

Slowly add flour, mixing until blended.

Pour the batter into a greased pan, level the top, cover with tin foil (greased on one side, face down).

Put the baking pan in a roasting pan, and fill the roasting pan with 2 inches of hot tap water.

Bake for 2 hours, the pudding should be firm and pulling away from the side of the pan.

Remove the foil, let cool, remove from the pan, and serve with hard sauce!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We celebrate the Feast of St. Nicholas on December 6th by baking Speculaus cookies in the shape of St. Nicholas. (The cookie cutter that I use has been discontinued.) The recipe that I have been using comes from The Christmas Cookie Book which was published in 1949.

Speculaus Cookies
1/2 c butter
1 c confectioners sugar
1 egg,
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and continue beating. Mix in sifted dry ingredients. Chill for several hours before rolling out and using cookie cutters. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.*

*(I would watch the time on these cookies. Because our cookie cutter is 6 inches by 3 inches, our time was closer to 13 minutes. It may be even less time if using smaller cookie cutters.)