Christmas In July - July 18, 2021 - CRAFTS!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN

Christmas In July - July 18, 2021 - CRAFTS!!!​

Welcome to Christmas in July CRAFTS week! I am Jaime (AuntJamelle) and I live in northern Indiana, not too far from Chicago. I am an avid crafter - jack of all trades, master of none! Well, maybe of some, but there is just NEVER enough time to devote to all the wonderful things that can be made!

One not so pretty “secret” of crafting is that it can quickly get expensive!!! Especially if you are new to a particular type of crafting endeavor. Christmas and crafting go hand in hand. But Christmas also matches up with needing to spread our dollars as far as possible. So with those thoughts in mind Day One of this week has a focus on all things FRUGAL when it comes to crafting. I’ll be sharing some ideas and links but also looking to all of you to throw your ideas out as well! Anything is fair game!

One of the nice things about sites like MHH and communities like ours is that we are stronger and smarter as a group! I have learned SO much over the years from so many - here on MHH - and from Organized Christmas forums before that. I can never show my gratitude enough!

Among other things, I’ve learned many tips and tricks along the way on clever shortcuts, repurposes, savvy buying strategies and more. I’ll throw some ideas out there and I’m looking forward to hearing additional ones!

Crafting covers such a wide variety of areas - you can craft gifts of course, but also decorations, cards, tags and more! It is IMPOSSIBLE to even look at the myriad of ideas out there online. However I “believe in 6 impossible things before breakfast” so I keep trying!!!

FRUGAL CRAFT IDEAS FOR GIFTS AND/OR DECOR:

The links below were chosen in an attempt to target crafty creations that springboard off of low cost or free items. Not all may dovetail with everyone’s interests, ambition or resources. But they are fun to look at!!!

PineCone Firestarters - This should be pretty low dollar! Only the cost of wicks + Wax (or use leftover candle bits instead) + Essential oil scent
https://somethingturquoise.com/2014/12/12/diy-pinecone-fire-starter-favors/

Plan walks with the kids to gather pine cones - from your yard, neighborhood or a local park. If you chop up , melt and reuse leftover candle bits your cost for the project should be reduced to the wicks. Use leftover paper scraps for the tags. Buy baker’s twine on Clearance. To save your pots and pans, pick up a used pot at a garage sale or use a clean empty metal coffee can set in a larger pot. Fill the larger pot with water until it’s about ⅓ to ½ way up the side of the coffee can and heat slowly to melt the candle wax.

Snowball Bucket Ornament
https://www.creativegreenliving.com...ore-snowball-christmas-ornament-tutorial.html

Picture Magnets - Made from baby food jar lids!

Fabric Covered Hangers

Fork or Spoon "Trees" - This link leads to a brilliant idea for using Dollar Store supplies to make unique fork or spoon trees - which are a super cute idea for the kitchen or on a party buffet table. These are so cute that you could easily decide to make them as gifts!!!

https://hip2save.com/2016/12/08/pla...easy-dollar-store-christmas-centerpiece-idea/

Mason Jar Ring Coasters - These are super clever! Simply choose a different theme of paper napkin to modge-podge on to make these any theme/color you want! I don’t reuse my jar rings or lids for canning but I do save them for all sorts of things, including crafting!!!
https://intelligentdomestications.c...p8ITfoOek_10snteKMx6bVMoMLuQJ5nnZJjoMmmkd6TAE

Ribbon Paperclips - I’ve made these a few times! I have such a stash of ribbon in Christmas colors/themes that the cost of the paperclips is all I’ve had to spend. Although the thinner type of ribbon tends to be pretty darn low usually. These are nice gifts for co-workers or school staff, for example.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734186590739/

Check out this link to see several simple ideas made from scrap wood! Some of us may either have access to a person with power tools - or much more impressive - be comfortable with using them ourselves!

https://www.amodernhomestead.com/10-great-gifts-that-cost-zero-money-to-make/

We'll focus on a different crafty thought each day this week:

Sunday, July 18, 2021 = Frugal Crafting
Monday, July 19, 2021 = Food Gift Crafts
Tuesday, July 20, 2021 = Sewing/Embroidery/No Sew Gifts
Wednesday, July 21, 2021 = Knitting and Crochet
Thursday, July 22, 2021 = Jewelry
Friday, July 23, 2021 = Scrapbooking & Paper Crafts
Saturday, July 24, 2021 = Misc.

I’ll post back later with some random frugal crafty thoughts! But now I really want to hear from all of YOU! Share links or photos or stories of ideas - ones you’ve tried or you long to try!

Where do you feel it is "worth it" to be frugal when it comes to crafts? And where is it NOT? What is the best frugal find/purchase you've made? Do you garage sale? Either in person or on line? OR use sites like Craigslist or Ebay?

How do you make your crafting dollar stretch father? :cool:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I have made thes bowl fillers a few years back.... fabric was too expensive so bought large pj pants from walmart and used those as fabric. Some dollarstore bells and some ribbons.

2011 candycane filler ornament 2.JPG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
FRUGAL CRAFTING MUSINGS:

To keep costs down when making homemade gifts one of the best pieces of advice I’ve gleaned was from CEO on the OC - make multiples of the same thing!!! So if you are putting the time, effort and money into making something - make it as a gift for LOTS of people. Saves time, sanity and often money by avoiding leftover craft supplies.

I’ve taken this one step further - sort of - and I will often make multiples of a gift for one group of people one year and a different group the next. Or perhaps I purchase a digital ornament pattern - I might make 4 this year for certain friends - then use the same pattern I already own to make more gifts for different people afterwards.

I am a big believer in the power of planning - not that planning is the ONLY way to approach Christmas or crafting - but for me “This is the way.” :)

Like many, I think, I adore surfing Pinterest and beyond for all sorts of ideas and inspiration. I will make a first draft list of things I want to make for sure. Then I’ll read more details, do a reality check on the craft requirements and supplies and time versus what I’m up to - and then I’ll trim it down a bit.

One thing I’ve had great success with is using garage sales to beef up my crafting supplies. I’ve picked up sisal twine, plain glass ornament globes, the sparkly filler for those globes, felt, fabric, ribbon, etc. You never know what you’ll find! I try to keep an open mind and look for the possibilities!

Ugly wreath? Can I rip everything off and use the wreath form for a new project? You can’t buy a new wreath form for $0.50 usually. No matter what kind of coupon you have! LOL

I also like to take advantage of crafting blanks like plain canvas bags, totes or pouches that still seem to be fairly low cost at the crafting stores. Using a coupon if possible!!!

When it comes to crafting supplies and tools do not overlook the “hardware” store. Places like Harbor Freight, Menards, Ace Hardware, etc. that carry tools for a much better price - they may not be pink - but they’ll get the job done! Needle nose pliers for bending/wrapping wire, magnet dishes meant for screws or nails (use for sewing pins), tool caddies (fill with YOUR supplies), buy your paints, spray adhesives and glues there for a much better price!

Does anyone ever buy the foil pans for making/taking dishes? I get mine at the Dollar Store and the smaller ones frequently come with “lids” - flat pieces of thick paper basically that look shiny like foil on one side. I’ve never used them because my pans are way too full usually to fit a flat lid on. I’ve saved several and recently realized they look like a million bucks when stamped with Versamark (clear sticky ink), sprinkled with any color of embossing powder and heat set. It’s a great effect I’ve been using when making gift tags.

Speaking of gift tags, when you buy your clothes pay attention to the tags you are taking off them. Are they thick cardstock? Maybe even with a bit of pretty ribbon? I save these and recover with paper scraps and then stamp or do other types of crafty decoration to make them into gift tags. Thread the hole with baker's twine or thin Christmas ribbon and it looks so pretty! A set of special gift tags can even be turned into a gift!

Final frugal thought for now! Give your craft area/room a good going through and take stock of what you have on hand! I know I always find something I forgot about! Or further, go through the house looking for random items that might springboard a project.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OHHHH, I am so excited to delve into this week. I love crafting. This year my list has fallen short as I am doing a lot for DD's wedding in October but I cannot wait to get started again next year.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Lucie, I made those candy canes as Christmas ornaments for my dc when they were little.

I love these ideas, AJ.
Where do you feel it is "worth it" to be frugal when it comes to crafts? And where is it NOT? What is the best frugal find/purchase you've made? Do you garage sale? Either in person or on line? OR use sites like Craigslist or Ebay?

How do you make your crafting dollar stretch father? :cool:
We are more "frugal" with our time when it comes to crafting. My dc would make gifts to hand out at school only to see it in the trashcan by the end of the day. They were so defeated because of the time and thought that went into the gift, wrapping and gift tag. That was a teachable moment for all of us. Not many people appreciate home made gifts. Now we look at the people and think, "Would the time and effort put into this gift be worth giving it to this person?"

As far as quality of products used to craft, I'm willing to try inexpensive items once. If I have an issue with quality, then I will upgrade and know it is worth it. I often look at Dollar Tree's craft area. I figure for a dollar, I'll try it. I did a Valentine Day project using their large wooden heart. After painting it the entire heart on both sides, it started to warp. The wood was too thin for the volume of paint. Next time, I'll look for a thicker heart at a craft store or thrift shop.

From the quantity perspective, I prefer buying small amounts of anything. I used to buy large supplies or in bulk but I end up donating it to the thrift store. We always think we have time to do all these cool things but the reality is we are lucky to do one or two crafts a year.

When my girls were in grade school, they were making friendship bracelets and wanted embroidery thread. They are inexpensive at the craft store so we picked some up. However, later that summer, we went to the thrift store and found a Ziplock bag filled with partially used thread of all sorts of colors for $1! We picked them up and still have some 5-6 years later.

I don't go to Garage Sales because Saturdays are sports days for us. I've never used Craigslist and I always forget about eBay. I can make it to thrift stores. Their hours work better for me. I have had luck with one particular thrift shop that has a sewing and craft supply area. I've never seen one like that in the other thrift stores. They have shelves filled with fabric remnants of all sizes and very well priced. They have embroidery kits, floss and hoops. They have crocheting and knitting and sewing notions. (They sell buttons from clothing that is donated but not worth selling to the public. A volunteer takes the buttons off the shirts and stiches them onto cardboard.) They even have felt squares. It is very hit or miss but when it is a hit, it's a home run!

Before I toss clothes, towels, or table clothes that have stains or holes, I look at how I might be able to salvage them for a craft project or home décor project. I love denim and flannel so when those clothes start to go, I will cut out the good parts. I keep it for projects and if I don't use it, then I donate it to that thrift store.

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
After watching a few you tube videos about the Montessori way of teaching I have been pulling things from my craft stash to make for my 2 1/2 year old grandaughter. Fun fibers, pipe cleaners/ colander, felt, paper.....I didn't know they made toddler scissors. Alot of things I have saved thinking...." I bet I could do something with this someday"...... now looking for something to do with popsicle sticks......? !

Laurie

Word for 2021 JOY