Christmas In July - July 20, 2021 - Embroider/Sewing/No Sew Crafts!!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Today our focus turns to embroidery, sewing and no-sew gifts! There is just something about working with fabric! There are SO many possibilities!

Embroidery

Can I share a secret? I was taught a very basic set of embroidery skills at a young age and to this day, 99% of my embroidery projects use two stitches. Split stitch and French knots. Those two things - plus how to thread a needle and knot the end are basic skills that have gone a LONG way!

If you have ever been tempted to take up embroidery, perhaps look up YouTube videos on basic stitches like those I named?

Here is one on split stitch for example! Very basic!

I love embroidery! It is stress relief for me! Painting with thread!!! :)

The sky is the limit! My projects tend to gravitate towards taking a purchased item and adding embroidery to it. Whether that is a Christmas stocking with a name added to the cuff or a tote bag or pouch or whatever! If you embroider what types of projects do you tend to do when it comes to Christmas? What is your favorite embroidery project you’ve done?

Sewing

So here is another secret of mine. I have never gotten comfortable with my sewing machine. Threading it always seems too intimidating. Let alone winding the bobbin!!! Patterns? Yikes! Tension? Get out of here!!! It is something I have always wanted to conquer and plan to. But for now my sewing projects are all hand sewn. You can do a LOT that way. So if you want to sew and don’t have a machine, that does not have to be a road block. At least for a myriad of smaller projects!

I guess I figure people sewed for a loooong time before there were sewing machines and they got along all right! LOL

In any case, whether you know your way around a sewing machine or more comfortable with needle and thread in hand here are some ideas...

Bookmark Corners

Ouch Pouch

Kate Spade Inspired Key Fobs

Reusable Dryer Sheets - Do you have someone on your gift list that is environmentally aware? They might love a set of these along with a few essential oils!

Hand Warmers - Flannel + Jasmine Rice

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734205056081/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734205897403/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734205534070/

No Sew Projects

No sew projects can be super fun and low stress! There are lots of things to do beyond your typical no sew fleece blanket - although those are FUN too and if you add embroidery - too cute! Here are some ideas:

Wool Dryer Balls

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/Af1kLRmWBqAB5IvbiGn9hdg1FYVRJntbIOlD4LiiQQg-trVtkVDhcLI/

Fabric Covered Mouse Pad

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734194088827/

T-Shirt Tote Bags

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9640586691057568/

Scrunchies

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/5066618321044422/

Now I want to hear from you guys! When it comes to sewing, embroidery or no sew gifts what do you like to craft? Or have you always wanted to try?

What gifts that you’ve made have been best received?

Tips or tricks? Let’s hear it! :)

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I sewed and did needlepoint for years, but it's fallen to the wayside. I made needlepoint stockings for each member of our family, but with my husband's passing and my daughter now being married and on her own, the stockings are no longer hung (and I no longer have a mantle). I sewed a tree skirt that we used for close to 20 years, and I also gifted things like toaster covers, pot holders, aprons, and the like. But my gift-giving list is so much smaller these days that there's no longer the need or desire to stitch. Kinda sad ... But, I really should get my sewing machine serviced and do some personal sewing for my own household (pillow covers, bench seat cover, mending, etc.).

Reactions: Lana

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
OHHH so many good ideas here. I particularly like the book corners and the dryer sheets. I think DD would love both of those and I could use the dryer sheets.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have tried several times throughout my life to get into sewing projects. I even bought myself a sewing machine and had my mom, who can sew draperies, clothes, etc., show me several times. I just could never get the hang of it. I have done what AJ does and that is hand sew smaller things like drawstring bags for blocks, pillows and blankets for dolls, and pot holders. I have also made holiday banners with the felt and hand stitched the felt to the ribbon. These gifts were all for my children.

Last year I made gifts for my extended family for team members of the scavenger hunt. It was a Santa ornament with a mask. I hot glued light blue ribbon to look like a mask. Then I hot glued the mask to the Santa ornament. I haven't thought yet what gifts I'm going to make this year other than the annual vacation ornament for my dc.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I love to sew. My paternal grandma who lived with us part of every year while I was growing up did embroidery and hand sewn aprons. My maternal grandma used a machine and also did quilting. My mom was creative and a master at making clothing ( or anything else for that matter). I learned a little of everything from everybody growing up.

I used to do a lot of hand embroidery of all types but my eye sight isn’t all that great now. I’ve switched to machine embroidery. I was fortunate to buy a machine that sews and does embroidery when I retired so I have the best of both worlds. I love to quilt, make bags and wallets and anything else. I like garment sewing but I find it hard to make pattern alterations for me. I’ve taken a few classes but I need to take a few more.

Last year I made quilts for gifts, this year purse and wallet sets. I’ve done embroidery dish towels and golf towels, aprons, and ornaments. I like to make things people will use.

You tube is one of my go to places to learn. That’s where I learned how to sew the necessary clutch wallet and a host of other things. There are sew alongs for all kinds of sewing projects. I also like hands on classes and hope to get back into doing them again.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I LOVE those book mark covers!!!
How clever!
I have a lot of book lovers in my life.

Annie

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
The dryer sheets are my favorite!
I'm not really a good sewer, in fact don't really like it. but lots can be done with hot glue theses days.
Thanks for the ideas

Reactions: Ahorsesoul