Christmas In July - July 21, 2021 - Knitting and Crochet!!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I don’t know about you, but I like a good yarn! LOL

Calling all knitters and crochet-ers! :) Would love to hear from you crafty souls that can turn yarn into magic!

My own knitting and crochet skills are very basic. But I’ve managed to produce washcloths, scarves and blankets with basic skills and loved doing it!

Knitting

If you are a knitter, what are your favorite things to make related to Christmas? Does anyone know how to knit socks? Or hats? Any tips on how to get started?

Or favorite You Tube videos that you’ve used to learn?

Has anyone ever tried arm knitting? With the really bulky “yarn”? I would love to do a blanket like that some day!

Love, love this pattern!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/AQ-d4mXmD4rG1SovT3U2EYcKLekbBnNSqSn3eEZ3i2cAp7JwmFzZecQ/

Crochet

So in this category I learned very young how to do single and double crochet and that is where I am still at today. Probably need to branch out, right?

Anyone have advice for the best ways to learn more? What kind of crochet projects do you find yourself leaving towards for Christmastime?

Look at this jaw dropper of a project!!! I really want to make this one!

Yarn Tips and Tricks

How do you store? Favorite brands? How do you keep things from tangling? Here are few things that caught my eye…

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/190769734195596691/

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Not me, but I wish I was adept at this skill! For years, my mother crocheted Christmas snowflake ornaments and gave them to each of her children and grandchildren as their Christmas gift (this started when she and my dad retired and monies got tight, and we all loved them and looked forward to receiving a new one each year). While I learned the basic crochet stitches as a youngster, I don't know that I'd ever be able to make some of these. I've included a link to an image showing something similar: https://hearthookhome.com/wp-conten...et-Snowflake-Pattern-by-The-Purple-Poncho.jpg

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I used to knit but only knew two of the basic stitches. I always wanted to learn how to knit in the round so I could make hats and socks. One year I knit scarves for everyone, a patter similar to the one posted and it was fun. I can also crochet, but only the very basic stitch I think and I would have to give myself a refresher because it's been so long! I would love to get back into the needlecrafts, it's so relaxing. I have also arm knit a blanket but the holes were too big so I want to rip it all out and try again sometime.

What I want to know is how people knit or crochet actual blankets? Is it done in pieces or all as one piece?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I can knit quite well but can only do the very basic crochet. This was something on my to do list to learn this year. That has been put aside for now and I will add it to next years list.
I do love the red knit scarf, I think that is beautiful.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I can knit but never reallyobed from dish cloths. I did just learn dual tip needles to make "tubes" for ornaments

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I like the hair clips to hold the yarn. Inexpensive and looks effective. I totally loose the ends

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My m-i-l knits and crochet and my mother crochets. I've tried crocheting but again, I'm not gifted with patience in this craft either. My daughters have tried both. When time permits, they make hats and scarves for homeless shelters.
What I want to know is how people knit or crochet actual blankets? Is it done in pieces or all as one piece?
We have received both knitted and crocheted blankets. The ones that we have are done in one piece. I have seen crocheted blankets where it is a bunch of crocheted squares that are arranged and crocheted together.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I do a lot of knitting. As Christmas gifts, I've knit bags, scarves, blankets, socks, hats ... just about everything but mittens. I will probably knit a pair of fingerless mittens for Iris this year. I have yarn for two pair of socks, a scarf and a little sweater for Christmas gifts this year. I'd better get those needles clicking. At the moment, I have two prayer shawls and an afghan on needles. They are great projects to do in the car on our summer travels or while watching TV.

It does take a certain character trait to be able to spend the hours required for knitting or crochet, particularly for large projects. Socks can be considered "large" projects because they take quite a while to finish with thin yarn and very small needles.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I can do both but not all that good with either. I learned as a child. Year before last I took some crochet lessons at Joann’s fabric which were pretty good. I started a scarf for myself that I never finished. I should get back into it for something to do during the evening.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My goal is to make those blankets to give one to each family as a gift.

Need to get on this!

Annie

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
For those that make blankets, what kind of needles do you use, just regular sized needles? How do you make a continuous blanket on regular sized needles? I guess i'm confused about how you make a blanket if the stitches don't all fit on the needles. Super novice here obviously. haha

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Mrs Soup ~ Use a circular needle with a long cable. The size needle depends on the yarn you use.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Mrs Soup ~ Use a circular needle with a long cable. The size needle depends on the yarn you use.
Is knitting with a circular needle the same as knitting with a regular needle? I have shied away from trying to knit with circular needles because I have never done it before and it scares me. haha Sounds silly I know. I'm sure there are video tutorials out there, I just need to look them up and buy some needles.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I crochet - mom had shown me awhile back and at some point I had a class where we learned to do whatever we wanted without patterns. Have forgotten alot but with youtube tutorials it's easy.
Knit - I only knit some socks, found an elderly lady who taught me.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I knit, but haven't in awhile. I've done quite a few things....scarves, wraps, a purse and of course dishcloths. I can crochet a chain stitch, but haven't gotten much further than that. I still have my Nana's favorite crochet needles.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Mrs Soup ~ Did you get the answer to your last question? Knitting an afghan on circular needles is really just the same as with straight needles. When you reach the end of a row, you turn your work around and knit the other way. I always use circular needles. You don't end up dropping a needle abd when I commuted on a bus to work I didn't have long needles sticking out to annoy my seatmate. LOL